Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Models, Models, Models and family time.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X--GASSER, Aug 5, 2008.

1. As some may know my father had taken ill earlier and is now recovering, Thanks again for the prayers. This has got me thinking to back when I was a boy and the enjoyment I got from building models with him. I believe from this was basis of who I am today, so I opened up my model vault "yes I have one like some of you with 80+ unbuilts stuffed it it" and dug out some of my favorite ones. It just amazes me how the hobby was, up until the early 80's and what it is now. You can look at the box art from the late 50's-60's-70's and that alone would snatch you up for hours at a time building these things. I'm trying to get my daughter involved in models especially since it's 100+ degrees outside and so far she digs it, plus it gives us special time together. And everytime she looks at the models we have built together she remembers the moments we had just like the ones My dad and I built years ago...So lets here your storys or pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's exactly how I got started in hot rods with my Pop also...I'm glad to hear your father is doing better, that's good news.

4. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

Thats an amazing collection of Unbuilts.....probably worth a little...

5. luciomduran

luciomduran

6. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Those ARE neato.

7. glmke

glmke

My first model with my girls.lots of fun and a good lesson on how a motor works.
    madeline 471.jpg

8. jimmyv

jimmyv

My oldest daughter just got done building Roth's Beatnik Bandit.

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too Cool ! I need to get Danyelle into this !

10. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Blew most of mine up with thunder bolt crackers as a kid, along with the tin cars, robots and other expensive irreplacable stuff.

11. Flamin'

Flamin'

X--GASSER and Mazooma1, awesome collections! Its amazing how many kids are getting back into models as well as how the adults are promoting it. Thats the way my dad got me started in the hobby. Now I do whatever I can to get other kids involved, including a couple model car contests every year where no kid goes home empty handed.

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Rightous ass collection, check out the price of 1.49.... I would love to get my girl into it but it would have to be a Hannah Montana or Barbie one, which i would do cause i dig spending time wih them no matter what we are doing.

xcellent thread Reed

13. This is what I've built since I've been in college. The hundreds of cars I built as a kid did not survive the wrath of my sister. I have an album of models on my profile that are closeups of these cars on the shelves..

[​IMG]

14. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Sooooo cool!

15. M.D.

M.D.

What a great collection! I remember building at least half of those myself when I was a kid. When I have time I still work on some, and I introduced both my kids to model building and I have to say we have had some great times building them together, I learned from teaching them how, and now when we see them in their rooms, we all are reminded of something cool we shared together.

16. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

I remember many times sitting with my dad and building models. Some of the best times. My 4yr old went to the hobby shop with me and picked out a 53 corvette and we spent an entire weekend building cars....it was great...I love being able to have that time with him. His other favorite thing is walking the car shows with me and picking out his favorite....

17. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

One of my brothers is 15yrs my senior. He bought me my first model. I was 4 and I still remember it. A snap-together Tiger 1 tank by Monogram...lol.
    Been building them since. Only thing is (as my Mom used to point out), I build them in record time...seriously, I'm quick. But, it's not like I see it as a race, but that I'm in a rush to do the paint. I'll build a model in 3 hours and take the next week to paint it. I just love making them look real. All my stuff was military though. I'd do a car once in awhile, but it had to be something special, like that GIANT Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am...that thing was awesome.

Now, Hotwheels and Matchbox....that's a WHOLE other story. I still have my brothers 1968 Aurora race track 4 lane set WITH the Corvette Banshee, Ford GT40, etc etc. I've had offers, but they wont get it til I'm long gone.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great builds. Love the 1/8 scales.
    I also started building models as a kid with my Dad, which got me into 1/1 cars.
    I'm still building models (have about 600 kits) and have my kids building models...and hopefully 1/1 cars when they're old enough.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the models in those old boxes built?If not you have some SERIOUS money sitting there! If you want to build models, sell them on e-gay and buy newer issues for less than $5!

Man, I wish my parents did stuff like that when I was young, they were always too busy. Got to work in the garage on the 1:1 scale model hotrod a bit tough.
    Doc.

I build models, I have about 2000 kits! Sad huh?

20. Great news about pops Mr X.I remember 1 kit i drooled over but could never afford was T.N.T.The box was as big as a house and I'm sure you could drive it away if you ever finished it;not in the slightest bit exagerating....I was young though!

21. 65 impala

65 impala

models are awsome

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I used to live for models as a kid. I'd get .50 cents a week allowance and save up $2.00 to buy them and spend hours day dreaming and building them. I had the black model T kit you have laid out on the table and still have the coupe body. It's always been my favorite. I chopped it of course. Anyway, what great memories, thanks.:D

23. Doc Watson is right, some of those kits y'all have could draw some serious scale money if you wanted to part with them. They're also irreplacable for the most part.
    Thanks for showing! The Fidgeter got me to get some of my stuff out.
    I have a collection of about 100 kits and parts donors.

24. I'll go you one better, I finished blowing up my collection of MPC and AMT annuals from the early 70's, and started on my Dad's collection... 60's 1/32 scale sports cars and 1/25 scale classics...

I had elaborate ways of blowing them up, with longer wicks for the firecrackers so that the smoke bombs would go off first, then the firecrackers, then the alluminum foil "gas tanks" filled with lighter fluid.

Can't even talk to him about models cars without him getting pissed.

25. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

Im so jealous! I would kill for those kits! I got into models as a way to learn about hot rods and work out ideas and preferences. Now i want all the cars i build to resemble something that could have been a kit back then. As a matter of fact, im in the process of building the blue truck right now!

26. I'm diggin the bubbletop^^...:D

27. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

28. How ironic, I was planning to open a similar thread. I'll be back to add to it some day soon. Amazing collection there guys...

29. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Those two Big Deuces look great. Big T wheels and moons on the gold one, right? The primer car must be the recent issue with the flattie? Guess I'll have to build a couple like that!