Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lets see hot rods with mixed wheels (front and back)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Aug 5, 2008.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

we all LOVE the weesner drawings, and old pics of car with different wheels front and back (atleast i do)...

anyways, i wanted to see some. I need to get new back wheels soon cause i dont want to run adapters anymore, that way i can get the wheels closer to the body, and i would rather buy wheels than redrill my axles.. i was thinking of getting front wheels too if i can afford it. i was thinking of mags all around, but maybe i should go with chrome front runners? or mags in front chrome in back? or who knows! not sure.. thought i would get some inspiration from here!

ill start off with my coupe as she sits now.. (i cant get enough of this pic anyways)

Attached Files:

WC145 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If I had any ambition I'd scan every page from the 1962 Hot Rod magazine annual....pretty much every car in it has mismatched wheels. Interesting.

3. Greg's car,,

[​IMG]

WC145 likes this.

4. arbs1976

arbs1976

I don't know who's chopped T coupe this is but it is definitely one of my Fav's.

Attached Files:

5. I don't think this counts...but WTF. Can't get (or afford) the matching front wheels yet. It's kinda was going for the high school hot rod anyway... 15x6 Rally America Chrome tapered reversed in back, '60 Dodge 15x5 up front with snap-on discs.

Attached Files:

6. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

So why was it done like that? Always looked halfassed to me.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's not half ass.

[​IMG]

8. Probably lack of funds. Looks cool on a street/strip car with nice wheels up front, and steelies with slicks on the back, as if the nice rear wheels were swapped on the weekend for racing duty.

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

there was a definite period in history when this was the thing... and i LOVE that period haha

10. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

anyone wanna do a photoshop for me? my coupe with mags all around, and my coupe with mags in back, chromies in front?

pretty please, hahaha, im so gay

11. novadude

novadude

[​IMG]

Dad's old low-buck '40 Chevy he built in the early '80s.

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Here is mine for now.
    [​IMG]

14. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Maybe a tad new for some here but......

[​IMG]

15. DrJ

DrJ

Hotrod reasoning:
    At some time, I think in the middle of the "gasser" era and wrinkle wall slicks, it was common to run the lightest wheel available on the front, which would probably be a "mag" type wheel. (Although some of them, like Raders, aren't particularly light.) While the rears were predominantly steel wheels because it was common to drill the rims so the tires could be screwed to the rims so they wouldn't spin on the rim when accelerating.
    Light Mags on front, steel (rim at least) wheels on back.

ETA
    That's fine for racing, but at the moment I'm contemplating cleaning up and running a pair of 15"x81/2" slot mags I got for free in the rear like C9 has with some chrome OEM style 14" steel wheels I got crazy cheap at Mooneyes up front.
    Yea, rhat's backwards to the reasoning I just laid out.
    Haven't decided on tires yet but I have a pair of 155R-14 XZX's in the shed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  16. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Thanks for explaining it, makes sense now. I assume though that most would only be seen on weekends for the strip though?

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I think, much like other styling cues unique to hot rods, what's born from racing becomes fashionable on the street...top chops; fenderless; holes; etc....

18. squirrel

squirrel

I thought the reason was that no one could afford to buy 4 wheels at once....and besides, you needed wide tires on the rear, skinnys up front, and that meant two different types of wheels (this was before you could buy new wheels in whatever width you wanted).

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

they ran STEEL WHEELS in back because believe it or not they were LIGHTER.

they weigh less than a aluminum wheel... those guys didn't run steel wheels on those superstock and or strip cars because they were tight on cash...

EDIT: sorry Dr. J you beat me to it.. dammit.

20. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

back to the pics?

21. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Kinda the same reasoning... like 16" V8-60's up front mixed with 15" Mercury wheels out back?

Some of my favorite mixed-up combos:

Attached Files:

22. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it just me or does that have some camber issues?

24. BigRed390

BigRed390

"Some" is a nice way to put it. :eek:

25. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Any more pics of Ford solids in the rear and wires in the front. I was actually thinking about doing exactly the same thing.

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I LOVE mis-matched wheels......it's all Weesner's FAULT!!!! Hahaha.....

My next project will be a 60's style build, and will wear WWW slicks on mag-type wheels and fog painted steelies up front.....

27. Anderson

Anderson

No...but I've got one going the other way around. Not intentionally though.

[​IMG]

28. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I was thinking the solids in the back would give strength when burning those tires off, and the wires in the front would be lighter. and would not get punished like the rear wheels.

Oh yeah where can I find some examples of weesner's work?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  29. I thought its because rods of old would drive to the track to race,so you might have 2 sets of wheels,your lookers and your horsepower winners