Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'd love to find some copies of chassis prints just to have as a reference/wall art.. Yhea if I were in a better state of projects right now (Over Budget, and PAst Due), I'd love to find a project like that, oh well, wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see what one fill's up first!

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Jim Dillon,

Good stuff! Thanks... The info was needed for a guy that E-mailed me looking for it. He is watching.

Its a great car non the less, But I'd still rather have Ted's "babe"

I've said it before, and I'll say it again..:D If you have not seen this car in person, make it a point too. You'll know why when you do!:eek:

Not as much for WHAT it looks like.. but WHEN it looked like that! Truly a car that changed the style of Sprintcar building.

[​IMG]

JD

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've looked high and low, inside and out, for those old prints and have come to the conclusion I lost "custody" of them to the ex (along with most of my old pics etc., but thats another story:mad:)
    I still have my old 70s midget frame/parts hanging in the garage rafters that I would have to spend money on before another project. Unfortunatly the vintage scene around here kinda sucks, so it would pretty much end up as expensive "garage art"

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well if you get tired of it collecting dust just let me know..lol We lost a ton of stuff when we moved as a kid ,due to some scum fuck with no respect for others robbed us when we stored stuff at one of my Uncle's wharehouse's..Ton of early NOS Vette Stuff early fuelie parts, frames, Teak Steering Wheel's still in boxes, Kelsy Hayes Knock-off's so we know your pain.. Still get bent thinking of all the stuff getting taking but miss my pop's old Aurora AFX Slot car's the most (was a kid at the time)lol..

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Speaking of scum, my divorce lawyer managed to relieve me (in a round about way) of about everything but the frame and a few misc. parts. :(

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I bet she has a great use for all your stuff/parts..Like my buddy says, there's nothing like giving half your 401 k away and buying your house again for a second time..

7. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Dave, doing good, hope your doing good as well. Work is slow but then again so am I.. I've been toying with the idea of moving the 54 and the 90 Fat Boy and starting over with something else..just seems nothing is moving, so who know's.. Sorry for all the O/T babble guys..

9. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Rootie Kazoootie we must have used the same lawyer!
    "Doc"

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG] Not sure who, what, when or where I found it.

[​IMG]

Jay Woodside 1961 (not sure if this pic has been posted before excuse me if it has.)

[​IMG]
    Walt Rieff, On the Gas.
    Out of the final program from West Capital Raceway - Sacramento, CA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Out of the final program from West Capital Raceway - Sacramento, CA.

Found these on "THE TURN 4 GALLERY"

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

Sorry for the asphalt set up pic but a Curious Interesting Piece! What Inliner is this? Any Clue? Curious? Alot of Question's?

[​IMG]

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Kinda, sorta looks like a much modified new gen. Chevy inline six. ?

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Or maybe it's one of these in disguise. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That was my first thought, like out of a G.M. "TRAILBLAZER" or some shit, but was not sure, sorry for the late model stuff guys, don't shoot! back to our regularly schedualed program..

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yeah, that sure looks like an Atlas LL8 (Vortech 'Trailblazer' 6) pruned of all the electronic crap. I like the injection though, it even looks like mechanical (yeah, the solenoids for fuel controll may be remote, but they went to alot of effort to hide it if it's EFI, as opposed to mechanical FI).

16. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

If anyone is coming to Salem tomorrow, be sure to stop by the vintage car group. We will be running some track time with the new Calhoun roadster.

Attached Files:

17. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

The pic of Mario next to brother Aldo at Oswego is funny; when the race started Mario dumped his brother, then went on to win!

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

:D:D Pretty good... Welcome Spike Ruth.

JD

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Kansas City auto racing figure Greg Weld dies

By JIM PEDLEY

The Kansas City Star

One of Kansas City’s best known names in auto racing, Greg Weld, died of a heart attack Monday morning. He was 64.
    Weld was known as both a driver and a racing entrepreneur.
    As a driver, he was a successful competitor in the USAC series. In 1963, he won sprint-car racing’s big race, the Knoxville Nationals in Knoxville, Iowa. Weld was the 1967 USAC sprint-car championship. He also drove in the Indianapolis 500 in 1970, where he started 28th and finished 32nd.
    He was voted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, which is located in Knoxville.
    As a racing entrepreneur, he founded Weld Wheels in Kansas City. Weld’s wheels were considered by many as the best that automobile racers could buy. He also promoted local auto races, including the Jerry Weld Memorial, which attracted national-level drivers

20. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Sorry to hear about Greg...We just lost long time USAC midget owner Howard Linne as well.

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry to hear about the both of them..:(

JD

22. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

had to ad this one

Attached Files:

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

24. jimg12

jimg12

Josh,
    Did you get my email with the pictures of the 1/4 midget? If you did would you put them on here if anybody knows what it is could help?
    enjoyed talking to you and your Dad. Thank's for your help.
    Jim Graybeal

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

No.. But i'd be glad to post them.

Send it to [email protected]

Thanks,

JD

26. cg5

cg5

RIP Greg

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I got the chance to meet Greg and talk to him for a few minutes about his restored sprinter at SEMA last year, nice guy. He is in the gray and black striped shirt in the background. RIP

[​IMG]

28. bill wallace

bill wallace

And sitting next to Myron Stevens is Pops Dryer ,also the building that they are in survives in downtown Indianapolis & is used for office space etc & is called the Black- Hawk building.

29. Offy

Offy

Ya gotta love Bob McCoy's work!

30. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I was an off & on aquaintance of Greg for the last 40 years and, when I was a kid hanging around Paul Leffler, I even got to do some gopher work on this car. After Greg's driving days be became kind of a recluse, out of sight and out of touch.
    About two years ago, he came out of seclusion for a friend's funeral. After that, he started attending vintage "get togethers" frequently. I talked to him quite a bit and found him to be one of the most engaging and accessible guys ever. He had some, truely, marvelous stories.
    I knew that he had some serious health problems in recent years and I think that his return to "the scene" was great "medicine" for him and brought great pleasure to all of his new and old friends. It was wonderful to have him back even for a short while.