Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SF Champion Raceway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, Aug 1, 2008.

1. unkamort

unkamort

I guy was telling me the other day about Champion Raceway, reportly down off Bayshore (near the train tracks) between Little Hollywood and Brisbain. I was down that way yesterday, and you can see remnants of pavement from the crest of the hill. Can any one satisify my courisoty with info on this? I am aware of the board tracks that were in Oakland and Alameda in the 20/30's. This is on the peninsula side, and possiably was open late into the 50's?
    Google was no help.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran at an 1/8 mile drag strip where the garbage transfer place is now. It was called Champion Raceway. That would have been in the early 70s.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

From " History of America's Speedways past and present" , pg. 129... Champion speedway, San Francisco ( Brisbane/Daly City ) 1/4& 1/2 mile dirt oval 9/29/63 thru 1966 ( actually was .436 mile). 1/4 mile paved dragstrip (c.1970).
    Located across u.s. 101 from Candlestick Park.
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If it was a 1/4 mile half of that was shut down.

5. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a closer look, maybe take some pix the next time I'm in the area.

6. 36Brua

36Brua

I think I have some photos I will scan and post. We went to the dirt oval races more than the drags. It got so cold you would 'chug' and ice cold coke in hopes it would feel like your throat was burning and you would be warm for about 2 seconds

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

What was the old track in Hayward? I remember walking it 50+ years ago mostly grown over. :)

8. 36Brua

36Brua

Not in Hayward. this rack was located on the Brisbane side ,westside, of Hiway 101 opposite Candlestick Park. had the dirt oval and 1/8 mi dragstirp. The track was built on a landfill area, ie dump. Going to the races there was like going to Half Moon Bay Dragstrip cold and foggy only on Sat. night usually. As I recall the 1/8 mi was fairly popular for mid week drag race programs at least you got a time slip there..
    One of the primary developers was Jim Mcleenan owner of Champion Speed Shop (SBC dragsters) in S. San Fran, and now a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes I understand :)

My question was what was the track in Hayward?

It was flat, abandon, unused and overgrown 50+ years ago

Do you have an idea what track I'm talking about?

10. 36Brua

36Brua

OOPs I reread your first post. sorry I don't know about the hayward track. BA

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Cool pics, Bruce. I went to the drag strip. Don't even remember the oval. One track mind. Want to help me try the front end for fit some time this week?

12. mikes51

mikes51

I remember going to some place in Hayward at nights, they had an oval track for motorcycle races. scramblers or TT I think, dirt track. That is going pretty far back.

I don't know of any strip.

13. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

i remember a deceased freind of mine mentioned a track in south san leandro where the current bayfair mall is...off mision blvd oakland speedway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Speedway

and some good books about lots of other speedways!!

http://www.coastal181.com/nlm-working-April-2005/shorttrack-2.htm

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Same book I quoted from earlier...Oakland speedway aka Oakland stadium.
    Racing from 31 thru 41, torn down during wwII. Several different track sizes and configurations, paved and dirt. Made into horse track in 45.. " now the site of the bay fair mall "
    Dave

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Here's some Champion Speedway Posters. I know it's not the track your looking for but cool all the same.

Attached Files: