Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey, Hey! 1st of the Month **AUGUST Banger Meet**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've been using one of the new head gaskets for about three years now, and it really did seal up the head. Only downside I found was when I had to remove the head after about a year: it didn't want to come off, it was stuck tight. It took two of us and some very gentle levering with a 10' long piece of 2x3 under the water pump flange.

Hey, I can't promise anything, y'know.... :D

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very nice Cris! Can we see the rear frame kickup?

3. Dan,
    Despite yourheartache, this makes for interesting reading as my father and I are establishing what to do with a crank for a blown & injected banger.
    Dad's good friend who recently passed away, has designed us a 5 main girdle and between the two of them they had loosely designed a crank. However, we may consider buying an already manufactured 5 main crank? Who knows?
    I have a counterweighted 3 main crank for a street motor I want to build with a small supercharger.
    Greg

4. ,
    Despite yourheartache, this makes for interesting reading as my father and I are establishing what to do with a crank for a blown & injected banger.
    Dad's good friend who recently passed away, has designed us a 5 main girdle and between the two of them they had loosely designed a crank. However, we may consider buying an already manufactured 5 main crank? Who knows?
    I have a counterweighted 3 main crank for a street motor I want to build with a small supercharger.
    Greg[/QUOTE]

On the subject of cranks, as to the Funk air craft conversion, they used a wooden propeller. I suppose you could research and find the weight. But I think the "harmonics" would be different Urb Stair in his book doesn't mention any particular problems with his cranks. He speaks of "B" engines and doesn't mention the "C" crank although he make a passing reference to the "C" engine. Some where in the S O S S mag there is a comment
    supposedly made by Joe Gemsa that he could get more races out of a "B" crank than a "C"
    As I stated before Jay Steele has told me that most of the "A" cranks break at # 4 rod throw, this is where the 2 I have had break I should say that one actually broke and scrapped a REM Al. rod, the other I found while truing the flywheel, large crack found after magnaflux at Taylor engine. Not having any decent "A" cranks i went to the stroker which I had roughed about 6 or 7 years earlier. I used the crank grinder the Taylor engines used at that time and he, the crank grinder, brought up the subject of larger fillet radiuses' before he had removed any material. I am not sure what we ended up with as I wasn't thinking of that particular problem when I installed the crank.
    So I told Jay that this was getting too expensive and he said that I should install a SBC vibration dampener. That "B" engine in my lakes modified has a dampener as supplied by Taylor Engines.
    I'm going to have to finish this later as I only have vision in one eye and that makes the hunt and peck typing a bitch!!. One more comment, We spend big bucks on these engines and I feel a vibration dampener is cheap insurance after many hard pulls on that 2 port

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Big exception is though that it's compatible and interchangable with all y'old parts? He's suggesting that the cranks etc. could be run in an old block?

6. Michael_e

Michael_e

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

If you can run side draft carbs/setup, as you want to keep the carbs as close to the intake ports as possible on that 3 port old head....

At least this is what Bob Rufi believed in and the reasoning he went with when he set his record!!!

9. RussTee

RussTee

hey took the pickup out yesterday only to have some ratbag smash the windwing and try to screw the headlite off going well but still got small oil leak from back main real pleased with electronic ignition since vacum advance has been adjusted

10. The Lion used to mine.
    I found it fine, no problems and performed well. Performs just as well in the coupe.

He had an aluminium Winfield and we done a straight swap.

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

As fantastic as this is, I can't help thinking thats its a cast iron Donovan engine.

The Burtz project is different then the Donavan engine. the Donavan engine has extensive porting modification to both the intake and exhaust.
    As you can see in the picture below, there are 4 intake runners and they are shaped like SBC intake runners. Look how much bigger the intake valves are. The Donavan also has 4 bolt main caps.

[​IMG]

I've been following the Burtz project too and in light of the problems I've had with cranks, the $3000 for a short block is well worth it!!! Unfourtunatly I think the project is a long way from having a retail product.
    Dan

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Greg,
    I have concidered the 5 main set up too. Steve Serr is using one in his blown and injected Bonneville engine. He advertizes a 5 main girdle and he had a billet crank made for it.

I've heard that there is an industrial 4 cyl. engine with a crank that will work in the model A.
    Does anyone know anything about this?

Dan

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I picked up two hand pressure pumps, at $100 for both, (yeah a bit pricey for me personally but a good price as I've been seein them go real high on ebay!) One is a standard pump, looks to mount to dash,....the other has got to be real early, its got two ball check valves and is marked "in" on one and "out" on the other check valve. I thought it looked like the old "oil" pressure pump I saw pictured in a copy of a 1925 Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia I have, for pressurizing the oil a bit, but when I took it apart it smells of old gasoline??

Found two fuel pressure gauges, one Stewart Warner (cant tell if its an old one or a late repro from the 60s or 70s??) and the other is an old one by US Gauge,... definitely a good period gauge! $8 for one, $10 for the other!

Got the early Mallory coil band I needed for the Mallory 1000 coil I found that Carl ran on his car,...paid a whopping $15 for coil with band!

Old period correct late 30s safety goggles with box and papers inside got for $3 bucks!

Got a kick ass old "Moto-Vox" electric horn, and YES it works! Gonna mount the horn somewhere on the roadster?? (see pics for the ideas I have on mounting it,....feel free to add comments and your own suggestions!!

Lastly I just picked up some little do dads as extra stuff for the chassis that was dirt cheap,...4 blade fan (original), radiator hoses, stainless cotter pins, etc.

Worked on the header yesterday and today,....coming along slowly as the weather isn't cooperating now and then!

(the latest score)
    [​IMG]

Not sure about the horn mounting???
    [​IMG]

OR,....
    [​IMG]

OR,...(side where shock mount holes are??)....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to set the body on the frame to set the headers up....
    [​IMG]

It's GLOWING!!! (naw just the setting sun...)
    [​IMG]

Header work...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Cris,

The speedster looks fantastic! I'm with 37kid- would love to see some detail shot of the front/rear suspension mods (maybe get that speedster thread kicked off in great fashion)!!!

CoaltownKid,

You lucky dog! Those are some great finds- I've been looking for a preesure pump (cheap) for a while, the the Moto Vox looks great, too! What about hanging it low like in the 2nd pic, but off-center driver's side (almost like a replacement for the stock horn)?

15. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yeah I was surprised to find the pumps,...

As far as the horn placement idea of off to the driver's side, yeah i was wondering that too,...then I forgot to hang it there to see how it would look,...something else to do for tomorrow I guess!!

16. RussTee

RussTee

hey coaltownkid nice work on the headers but just imagine how we go making headers here in new zealand with right hand drive and going out the regular way

17. Coaltown- did you find those at "Das Awkscht Fescht":D?!

One of my two favorite car shows/meets when I was growing up in (Narberth) PA...

18. Hey Dan,
    I have been in email contact with Steve Serr, his project is really interesting!
    I will look at his 5 main girdle again
    I would be interested to hear more about that industrial 4 cyl engine.
    Greg

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

5-main crank? 1934-35??

2.50 Mains..........

Attached Files:

20. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

You scored some nice pieces there,coaltownkid. Found my pump on ebay too. Made a bracket for the pump and the Sun tach. 12V and 4 cyl.
    The restored Bosch 12V Volvo Amazon generator suits well i think. A little bit more modern but still old looking.

Attached Files:

21. What is that engine?

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My NOS 5-Main??

What is it? Who knows I got two of them.... I''ve been askin.

I can tell you they are not HAL/Dreyer both those ran the crank sitting in front of it AND that block and crank really don't fit together. I think the block was originally desigined for a 2" main crank nt this 2.500

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yep, I sure did. Very surprised I found much of anything there,...I struck out last year!

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Are you running the stock cowl gastank by chance?

I was wondering if anyone's running a fuel hand pressure pump with a cowl gas tank by chance??

That sun gauge looks great!,...the whole thing does!

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Dear Lord!.....where do you find this stuff!!?? Very cool block!

Hey, ever come across any fellows with a 28-29 Auburn Dash? Just curious as know we talked some a while ago about one...

26. The most popular cranks were made by Buda and Hercules. I suppose there were others.

It seems that cranks break at # 4 wether stroked or not. I don't want to interfere in your business but why don't you contact Jay Steele and see what he says. The guy that ran the 8 port said he ran a 20 + lb dampener. I have read about balancing the weight removed from the flywheel and dampener but the guy had a Al/ flywheel that was considerably lighter that his dampener There is a video of him hot lapping and hitting 6500 twice a lap. One of the 2 brothers that run the little red "T" bucket dragster with the flathead "A" told me they run stock "A" cranks There was a racer that ran a radical head, might have been a SOHC, on an "A" block with "A" crank and he was very successful on So Ca circle tracks. After every racing weekend he would go the Ford dealer and buy and install a new crank and rods.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  27. Michael_e

Michael_e

What sort of modifications are required to install a 5 main bearing girdle in a stock A block? Does anyone have pictures of this? Is this something that can be done at home? Is there a web site showing a 5 main girdle? Are the girdles for stroker engines only? How much horsepower can the 5 main girdles handle?

Mike

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is a picture of a Model A 5 main girdle. It will bolt to a stock block. Unless you have a line bore macine at home, You will have to have the assembly line bored at a machine shop. This is the girdle that Steve Serr has on his web site:
    http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/crankshaft.htm

You can run stock stroke, over stroke, or under stroke. Steve is running a 5 main girdle and crank in his Bonneville engine and it is de-stroked. His engine displacment is less then 200 c.i.. If I recall corectly he is shooting for @ 200 hp on gas and @250 hp on Alky.

[​IMG]

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    Yes, I think it was the Buda that I was told about for the 5 main crank.

I have talked to Jay and he doesn't like going much past 1/8" stroke for street engines, but like you said, cranks break stroked or stock. I will probably got to Taylor when I decide what I'm going to do with mine.

I have talked to an equal amont of people about weather a damper is an advantage or not. Most people that say that a balancer doesn't help also say that there is no true way to balance a 180 deg firing 4 cyl engine.

I have read about several west coast dirt track racers back in the day that ran "offy killer" stock block OHV bangers that were sucessful on short tracks and sprint races. They didn't fair to well in longer races because of crank failure problems. They also had to change the lower end out after every race.

I think my plan for now is to put a stocker engine in my car untill I can get my stroker sorted out. I miss driving it!!!!!!