Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats goodguys pleasanton like nowadays?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikiwagon, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tikiwagon

tikiwagon

Hi We are over on vacation from england for speed week and primer nats and just realized that the goodguys show is on in pleasanton whilst we are in the san francisco area( our main reason to go is forbidden island tiki bar)Last time we went about 10 years ago it was rubbish, full of fat old men polishing their jellymould red 32's, 57 chevys with stupid hi tech wheels and the worst possible insult ****in cry babies on every car, it took less than an hour and we were done,has it changed for the better(like decent nostalgic kustoms and traditional rods)or are we wasting our time again!Also is there a swapmeet and decent venders there,We will go on sunday as we only get into town on saturday night and it will probably get messy at forbidden island!
    Thanks

2. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

I think pleasanton is a good show. There is always going to be 22" wheels on a 70 chevy but there are more traditional cars every year. Good vendors and an ok swap meet.

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Really hasn't changed all that much, still rows and rows of "cookie cutter" 32 roadsters.
    Swap meet is a little better, but not much. and the vendors are OK.
    I don't go anymore mainly for that reason.

IMHO

4. mikes51

mikes51

You have to give Kirk credit for starting some new ideas to bring in more traditional rides. There used to be or might still be a "Suede and Chrome" area specifically for our types of cars. There is also I believe a "Homebuilt" area too for regular people's built cars.

Overall all though, the show is still as you described with alot of hi tech stuff. If you are talking about the Nationals in Aug, it's still a place to see some of the best built rides around (even though they are not built in our style).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008

5. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

if your only going on Sunday....you better get there early....most vendors and cars start taking off around noon

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Since you have been there already you might want to look elsewhere. As you know Pleasanton has one of the best set ups for a car show, and one of the coolest downtowns. Lots of trees, grass, etc. The year limit for the Goodguys West Coast Nationals is 1957.
    That same weekend there is Nosatlgia drag racing at FAMOSO near Bakersfield. Shows in Chico, Rescue, Colfax and Rocklin. Also, drag races at Sacramento Raceway.

7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Probably waste of your time, stay at the bar or go to the San Francisco DRAGS....Last year was the first year for 57 and below, there are no 70's cars allowed for the show. Sat. is the best day to go, Sun. is jsut OK. You can ignore the rows of 32's and look for the cars that you prefer just as they do. Old fat guys were young slim guys once, whats in your future?

8. rodncustom

rodncustom

Hollywood Graham is correct. If you were there 10 years ago you did NOT see any '57 Chevy's there. Also, there are no 70's cars there as the cap is 1957.

Very good show and Saturday is the day.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

The one in August is through 1957 only. If you want to see only low buck cars and will get offended by anything else, don't go. If you want to see a killer cross-section of hot rods and customs of all levels, check it out.

10. Brandi

Brandi

GG Pleasanton is a lot of fun. Lots of vendors and the swap meet is coming along each year. It's lame in the evening though, unless you head downtown or something.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like GG events, and the August Pleasanton is the biggie for early cars.

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Good point!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have only missed one Pleasanton Goodguys Western Nationals since they started. I think it is like 25 years or so... long time.

there is always a shitload of cars there of all build styles. LOTS of big money and crybaby dolls. I'll never understand the people who go to a show like this and complain about the high quality cars.

14. tikiwagon

tikiwagon

Thanks guys Just wanted an opinion,Where are these other drag meets ?

15. Weasel

Weasel

You get a cross section, like at most other big shows and that goes for the vendors too. You are almost never going to get a show with only the kind of cars you like, so pick and choose.

Sunday tends to be thin and do get there early. But it's still bigger than anything you have in the U.K. and you are coming over for the cars aren't you? Oh yeah and crybabies are now almost a thing of the past and soon to be collectibles (can't wait for the crybaby revival movement:D:D) - nostalgia rules eh?

16. Searcher

Searcher

If I were you I'd go back to the bar on Sunday

17. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Cool Sue and Dave, I 'll see y'all at the show . Oh there is a party in Camarillo too . Sorry for the hijack

18. In San Francisco, probably in the Castro District. Not many fat men are drag queens so you should be happy.