Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mink

mink
    from CT

Just picked up a one shot like pinstriping paint. Cost me a 8 buck for a half a pint. Why does it seem so expensive? Wandering what the brushes are made of? is it horse hair wrapped around on a stick?? What kind of paint is it?? Interested in learning about how to do it.

2. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

It's Squirrel hair.

3. Sounds like you didn't buy Red,Purple,or Gold.They are a lot more expensive.

The good brushes are Grey Squirrel,from Siberia.

4. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

Something I would love to learn also...can you find tips and tricks anywhere?

5. mink

mink
    from CT

bought black for 8 . fellow said red was like 11 or so

6. mink

mink
    from CT

really where can i get some of that, missing the bb gun:rolleyes: heheheh

7. confederate jack

confederate jack

i bought some blue one shot from sherwin williams and it cost me $14. good grief. guess i got ripped. or just bought the wrong color to practice with. oh well. such is life. o'reilly auto parts sells the mack brushes. they are kept in the back with the other good paint products. you have to ask. trust me, i was a manager there, they do have them.

8. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I WISH I could pick up anything in 1shot for eight bucks! What's your source for that price? BTW, there's a reason why EVERYTHING pinstriping is expensive! the brushes are all exclusive to the art of striping and sign painting. I'm told the brushes are not only squirrel hair, but EUROPEAN squirrel hair!.....It's a relatively small market. ever notice the fact that there's not 3 dozen pinstripers on every block? There usually aren't a lot of stripers going big guns in most communities. One or two might be fairly busy. i'm just getting some momentum going in my pinstriping. Almost everything I do is a referral from someone I've striped for in the past. I'm starting to ramble, & my Mom thinks I should sign off now. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

9. mink

mink
    from CT

The source is Finesse Pinstriping Paint its made in New York. 8 was for a half pint of black. It doesn't seem to hard to do. Felt like i loaded the brush correctly it just using the correct pressure while pulling the brush is something to work on. Its do time that i pick up some more dvds. I pickedup a painting 101 video and hotrod one . wander if they have a pinstriping one

10. Not really;I was just at the paint store yesterday(Painters Supply)and got into a conversation about 1-Shot pricing;specifically red pigmented colors.The manager mentioned that for some reason the blues are nearly the same price as the reds.And blue(my favorite is Process Blue)is a great color to use for practice.Covers nice,flows well,etc.

I bought a half pint of Medium Gray and it was almost $12.I usually buy pints or quarts and pour them into 1/4 pint cans but that was all they had and I needed it for a job that day.

11. mink

mink
    from CT

is it cheaper to buy in bulk?

12. Eight bucks is peanuts compared with what can be done with it along with a $13.00 triple 0 Mack #10 striper!

Anytime your gonna do something artistic whether pinstriping or chopping a top on a '51 Merc, go first class and spend the dough on quality equipment. Even if it's to "Try It".

Pinstriping is still a inexpensive craft to get into nowadays no matter how costs have risen.

Jump in, the water is fine...

Joel

13. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

14. Usually the bigger the can of One Shot, the bigger the savings. Generally I buy the small cans only when it's a color I know I won't hardly ever use...like gold or aqua or magenta. I almost always buy the Quarts of Black, Bright Red, Chrome Yellow, Emerald Green and Process Blue.

15. ploon

ploon

16. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have several cans of One Shot that are 10-15 years old and are still usable, paying a few extra bucks for the good stuff isn't too bad. I can lay down alot of stripes with a one pint can.

17. $25. for paint and brush, to get started at any craft, is nothing.
    You need to spend a couple more bucks to get a can of proper brush oil because nothing is more important than cleaning your brush properly and oiling it between use, and a can will last a long time.
    Tools are not expenses, they are investments.

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

That $8.00 can will last you years....you will get you $$ worth

19. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

The colder the climate the thicker the hair shaft grows and the thicker the hair the more paint it will hold and the tighter the line.
    If you can get your hands on a brush thats 30 or 40+ years old the differance compared to a new brush is night and day. The older the better but I guess the changing climate is having an effect on the squirrels to.:(

20. Retrorod

Retrorod

I'm going to spend some quality time with Herb Martinez at So Cal Speed Shop in September for one of his seminars......I'm pretty excited about it, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Thanks to Flower, she sponsored this trip for my 60th birthday!

Maybe I'll be a little better at layin' down some lines.

21. I recently acquired some striping brushes that are about 80 years old and after a good cleaning(they were used mostly with striping lacquers)they still pull some incredible lines.I tried several of the #3's and #4's and could do anything from a near hair line to about 5/16" just by varying the pressure on the brush.They're not much good for designs(if you push them a bit they will)but are unbeatable for straight lines(which is my main business).

Some pics of the brushes and the lines they will pull.

Attached Files:

22. Safariknut, that is an amazing collections of brushes. What a great find.

23. I use Neetsfoot Oil,not very expensive.
    Mineral Oil,or Baby Oil is even less,and easier to find.

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

How many hours do you get out of a $10 can??

Money well spent i'd say

I need a good brush container though, what'd you guys suggest?? I've always had bad luck with plastic ones

25. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

When I was much younger I would shoot pool to relax;...these days I like to take retreat to my garage/studio and pull lines with my Mack 0000! This has been a nice thread!

26. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

:cool::cool:i agree with Irish Dan. when i wanna relax i open a can n go into my own world. except i usually don't like any thing i do. damn perfectionist!

27. confederate jack

confederate jack

old metal tackle boxes are great for brushes. the long slots for tackle are great spots for putting brushes.

28. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick