Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Boyce Asquith 32 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drflex, Jul 27, 2008.

1. drflex

drflex

anyone have any pics of Boyce Asquith 's yellow 32 roadster? especially the front suspension.

2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

3. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I remember that car from Hot Rod magazine along time ago. That thing hauled ass man!! What a mean looking car.
    Jimmy White

4. Larry T

Larry T

That is the definition of a HOT Rod.

5. Definitely a bad ass car. RIP Boyce.

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

took my breath away....DAMN!!!

7. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Attached Files:

8. T-Roy

T-Roy

Yep, this car, Lime Fire and Cole Cutler's '34 were THE Epitome of badass "street legal" HotRods!

9. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I saw the frame going together at Magoos in the 80's front end was torsion bar , designed & built by Darryl Zip when he worked at Magoos . Way trick car & yes the Hottest of Hot Rod Roadsters. Boyce drove it to a club meeting I was at in Arcadia , unreal , what a cool guy he was too .

10. AWESOME period!
    I have collected as many magazines and pics of this car as possible and have a bunch of photos of it from the various trips I have made to the USA.
    Dave Allen - you have one awesome ride and I am so glad it still looks like Boyces!

11. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

those 3 photos show just how cool that Deuce is

12. Larry T

Larry T

I read that the rollcage bolted in and in the one picture it's not there. Looking at the chassis shot, it looks welded in. "How'd they do that?"
    Larry T

13. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for the info Dave......Looking forward to some updates on yours.

Now not everything built in the 80's wasn't a pastel colored billet mobile!!!

Duane.... in the peg.

14. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The cage is installed and removed with bolts. I'm sorry I don't have any detail shots of that.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Attached Files:

15. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith

I know the guy who owns it. His name is Dave Allen. it is featured in a book called Hot Rod which is black... The car is currently driven on the street all over, from Alamo, CA, to as far north as Canada and to southern CA. It is no trailer queen and contiunues to see many many miles of asphalt. it tends to run hot though. here is a picture of it from the Wally Parks NHRA museum in May 2007

[​IMG]

16. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Here are some more of the pictures that Dave Allen sent me. These were taken at the 75th anniversary of the Deuce exhibit.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Attached Files:

17. brandon

brandon

did he also have a red one...? seemed like all the cool fast street cars at the time were sportin goodyear sprint car tires on the street...been a favorite of mine since i was in school...back in the 80's..:D

18. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

That CAR was (is) so BAD...One of the only '32 roadsters I have ever seen that was really full race AND a street car.

My other favorite from that time was the Jerry Moorland blown injected alcohol burning big-block '40 sedan.

Those were fun Hot Rod times...

Keven

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

It was featured in the April 1990 issue of Rod&Custom titled "Real Hot Rods" on the cover. It would be great to see the Rodders Journal do a full feature as Boyce's Deuce has a huge following!

20. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith

The red one was Mindy Fry's. They used to race each other back in the day. Check Last month's Hot Rod Mag for a Bio on Mindy. It also was an amazing hot rod, built and driven by her and her father.

21. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith

The red one was Mindy Fry's. They used to race each other back in the day. Check Last month's Hot Rod Mag for a Bio on Mindy. It also was an amazing hot rod, built and driven by her and her father.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Was it 1988 that it was in Hot Rod? I remember taken that issue to school (grade school) and getting it taken away. Still bad ass....20 yrs later.

23. Degreaser

Degreaser

That sounds about right. I was a senior in HS and had a boner for that car too.

24. I have always admired this car. This roadster is a breath of fresh air for all 32 Highboys for sure.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Mindy Fry's car is/was a T, well the body resembled a T(haha), and was SUPERBAD. She is cool too based on that HOTROD bio....
    I think I saw Boyce's car at Mel Larson's (Speedworld?) back in the 80's. Anyone know if it was in Phoenix ever? I'm almost positive, it must've been it. It was brutal.
    Looks like it has torsion bars for the front.

Don't forget Fat Jack's '48, Moreland's '40 and Guy Ruchonet's '34....those cars were flat out cool too....

26. Jaime Oaks

Jaime Oaks

In remember going to the very first GoodGuys in Indy in 1989, Boyce was there match racing Mendy in that red "T". I remember talkin' to him in the pits! I was 16 years old and drove over there from Dayton by myself at the spur of the moment I had exactly $20.00 to my name, I put $10.00 worth of gas in my '77 Cutlass w/ a 350 Chevy and remember hopin' and prayin' all the way over there that it did not cost more than $10.00 to get in, that is exactly what it cost! Man was I hungry by the time I got back to Dayton that night! But it was well worth the trip, the 2 best memories were talkin' to Boyce about his roadster and gettin' to see K.S. Pittman making passes in his original '41 Willys gasser!!! The hair still stands up on the back of my neck just thinkin' about that trip!!! RIP Boyce

27. brandon

brandon

what is or was it about that era and the cars like that....everyone had a bad ass hot rod....with hot rod rake:D they were cool then ...and even cooler now...might be time to start that stuff over. brandon:D

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Oh dude, you know it.

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Hell yeah.

30. jimdavis

jimdavis

Boyce had a red '32 highboy prior to the yellow one. The red highboy had a small block Chevy with a 6-71 blower. I can't remember his best quartermile time with it but it was in the 10's. He sold the red roadster and then built the yellow one.

I was president of B&M Racing & Performance at the time and assisted Boyce on the engine which was built by Ray Zeller and featured a B&M Megablower. The car had a B&M shifter and also a B&M TH-400 trans. We tried both a TH-400 and a Powerglide but Boyce preferred the 400.

He did race Mendy Fry's red t-roadster on several occasions. Boyce's best time with the yellow roadster was 8.60-159. The car was capable of going better than that but never actually made a full pass with everything working 100%. The engine dynoed at 1,100 horsepower on Dick Landy's dyno. I was present at those dyno pulls.