Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't put a Chevy in that.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony

Thats classic right there! :D:D

2. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

hey we pur fords in every thing wifes 60 caddy has a cleveland in it . if you want it to run put a ford in it

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No big deal. It's your car, do what you want.

4. Think so?

Maybe you could start an interesting one?

5. I'm thinking of putting a '69 Mopar 440 in my '48 Chevy rod project, just to jack with people at shows and runs!

6. Yeah . . . but once you get em running good....:eek::cool:

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

yeah and if you want it to be fast, put ANY GM motor in it:D or if you're lookin for real fast,:D a built big block mopar. Had 302's, Clevelands, windsors, hi po 289s, eh, never really impressed me

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..just to keep the thread goin'

Helped my friend yesterday. 55 Chev PU...He got it to the shop..having the the old Voalre clip cut. Going MII..

Pulling the 455....AND...

:)..putting in a nice SBC...

PS...anyone near Tucson looking for a 455..and trans..stock..emission era stuff..good runner but choked down a bit.

9. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Metalshapes, is the last pic a two cylinder? Would it be considered a v-twin, possibly built for a bike? Very interesting, thanks for the pic. I've heard of SBCs being cut down, some into 4 cyl. but never seen this.

10. gasser comet? i remember seeing pics of a next to new 65 mustang with a 327 and a straight axle on here last winter i think but i didnt grab that pic

11. 455 Buick, Olds or Pontiac?

Unless the front clip was a shabby install I think I'd rather have a Volare clip in that particular vehicle.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

"Hey all you gearheads listen up! Everyone knows that the sbc is the be all end all of the hot rod hobby right? Well if you're really stupid and want to be different and try a Ford engine you're gonna be sorry..... dont say we did'nt warn you." Sound familiar?[/quote]

Seeing as you asked, the answer is NO. I've read litterly thousands of articles in hot rod orientated magazines and have never heard anything remotely close to the drivel you've posted..............................................and neither have you.:mad::mad::mad:

Frank

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You can stop hoping, it's pretty much guaranteed with those 2 exiting choices.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. BOHICA

BOHICA

Good, one less truck like mine. :D

455 Olds in a '56.

15. BOHICA

BOHICA

Why do you say that?

16. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

i dont care i'll put a sbc in anything, pretty much proven to be the best engine ever made.

17. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Okay I'm a Chevy guy and have a mess of 350's all in stuff a little too modern to talk about here. And I like them.

But I spent hours today walking through a Good Guys show (Puyallup) and I have to agree with those who are tired of seeing SBC's in rods. I like to see something different. The project I'm currently working on will have a big Cadillac for just that reason. The car I drove today has a Chevy 350.

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

You want to look good on the rollback or make it where you are going? I used to be a total SBC guy, if it didn't have a SBC in it I wouldn't own it! Now after years of that I look for different as well. But that said I have a 6 deuce 283 in my 35 International cause I wanted wanted to jack with 6 deuces to try to make a dependable motor look better!:confused::confused: I'm not sure there is a point here but, never mind:confused: this thread is confusing me!:D:D

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't make it to Puyallup today but I have to agree with OldSub in that when you go to a major rod run a large percentage of the rods and rodded cars have small blocks in them. That will happen at most any of the big rod trots.

I can why one does install a small block chev in a car when you look at aftermarket pieces. I have several 350 Chev engines around the place one 350 R out of a 76 Seville, one 455 olds, one 330 Desoto One 250 Chev one 292
    Chev and a 216 babbit beater somewhere out there.
    Looking in the Summit catalog a performer intake for the 350R is 229.95 the same manifold for one of the 350 Chevs is 127.95.
    While the cost of the machine work should be close to the same for the same work the purchase price even with a deal will be close to double to build the 350R with comparable componets. This isn't a conspiracy it is due to the simple fact that they probably sell 100 intakes for small block chevs for every single 350R intake.
    The same with rebuild kits, cams and every other piece.

I would love to build the 330 Desoto and put it in something, the perfect candidate showed up on the local Craigslist yesterday. A 32 Desoto Sedan that while rusty has the pieces one would need to start a decent project. The engine is actually destined for a 27T modified for my son when we get time. money and room to build it.
    As for small blocks in post 48 cars that aren't Chevs I take it on a case by case basis.
    If a guy is building a 64 Skylark wagon for his wife to use as a daily driver the chev engine makes sense. If a guy is building a 49 Cad fast back the small block is a cop out easy way out where the car should have had a Cad engine of some sort.
    I can't see ragging on a guy because he chooses to put what he can afford and what he expects to walk into any chain parts house in the us and buy replacement parts for instead of attempting to rebuild an engine that one has to go to the obsolete parts supplier to get pistons and rings and no one within 500 miles stocks a waterpump.

As far as bellybutton engines it only takes a bit of reading through the LOOK at my new flathead threads here on the HAMB to see another form of bellybutton engine, many built by the same builder and with an identical appearance.

21. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

yea,i am with fidgiter.:D

22. Muttley

Muttley

A/FX style '65 hard top.

23. sounds like fun

24. Muttley

Muttley

I hope so.

25. JimBoB77

JimBoB77

I agree. If you REALLY want to put a good drivetrain in your car/truck, besides the Ford 9" rear, why not put in a lighter, narrower, easier to work on, and tougher FORD small block. They will fit in any rod that the SBC is more difficult to install, AND they LOOK nicer with the evenly spaced exhaust ports.

This is especially a good swap since the gas is so expensive nowadays. I have been swapping Fords into old cars and trucks for over 45 years. Nothing to it.

I have put a few Mopar V-8's into some also, but they are more expensive and a little more difficult to work on. But the results are great.

Have fun, DARE to be different.

Jim.
    ###

26. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I think of early Fords are prime examples of rolling art. Apparently many chevy enthusiasts do as well. Probably yourself included. In fact the `39 Ford is one of the most beautiful classics of all time. Jamming a chevy in one is akin to carving up a "Picaso" with a steak knife. We must remember to be good stewards of these classic beauties. Let's see to use your own logic one could say.... " I bought that horse with my money, I'll beat him with a stick if I want to and I could care less if some AH looks down at me and my horse!"

27. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

:eek:it might be a hamb sin, but ive always wanted to build a blown nailhead and put it in my nova after i straight axle it. that coupled to a 4 speed i think would be bitchin. nailheads fasincate me.

28. If I did not already have a 440 in my shop for the '48, I'd be looking for a Cadillac 472 or 500 to stuff in it. They do have a unique sound when they are modded a bit.

29. The guys who were always saying to me "Put a 350 chevy in it and you will go faster" seemed to alway be the guys who were a few car lengths back. I guess they couldnt hang with a $1500 low compression 420hp/500ftlb 455 in a 4100lb car with 2.93 gears, or the $2700 540hp/560ftlb 455 in my 3700lb mid 11 second toy. The only things not stock were the slugs and valvetrains. The faster chevys were solid roller cammed rats in lighter cars, and sbcs with blowers, going a couple tenths faster than a poor old Pontiac with a hydraulic cam and 2200 stall converters shifting at 5800 rpm.

They arent expensive if you build them right, and you will spend more on a chevy to get it to the same point as a Pontiac. (screw in studs, big valves, 14 degree heads, 4.25 strokes) Unless you build a grenade that lasts for maybe a season then needs everything new inside. The $1500 engine is still running strong , and the other one lasted 7 years of bracket racing and only died because someone thought it would be a cool thing to dump a handful of lead shot in the valve cover.

Now if you want 1000 + Hp, then the aftermarket is cheaper for chevy. If you want 500hp, hell that is easy in any 455 with almost entirely stock garden variety parts. If you want to rev your engine to 9000 rpm, get the chevy, and put some 4.88 gears behind it. If you want to drive it around more often than a few times a year, go with the grunt and some 3.08 to 3.42 gears, they do really well with an overdrive behind them.

But of course you can build a chevy to do what I did cheaper, so go build a chevy that runs faster than 11.5, gets at least 15 mpg, and put it in something that is over 3400lbs. You will spend far more than the $5000 I had in the Pontiac, and that included purchase price, tires, and everything else needed to make it run. Good luck.

Street legal/low cost bracket racing aside, a $1500 455 is tons more fun than a $1500 350, and good luck finding a rat then rebuilding it for $1500. They are just as reliable and I have gotten the very few parts I needed for it in the last 15 years of driving it at any store between Colorado, Texas, South Carolina, and Michigan. Its been driven to all of them.

Buick is more expensive but not prohibitively so. The Stage 1 we stuffed in a vega was a riot, but it loved to eat rear ends. You chevy guys are just brainwashed, and those who spend a ton on BOP engines arent looking around for the best part at the best price.

30. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

too true-
    "getting 500 horsepower out of a 455 is about as difficult as falling off a log"
    -Joe Mondello

Once You build and drive one, You never even think of an Orange motor ever again....Oranges are just too close to Lemons on the family tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.