Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford Woodie Cowl - How is it Different?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Where does the '32 woodie cowl differ from other body styles? I've heard it's not the same as a pickup cowl nor an open (duh) or closed passenger car cowl? Is the upper reveal different? I've looked for close up pics all over and haven't found anything helpful.

Anyone have a deuce woodie who can shoot a pic or two?

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

steve,i have a customer who is building a 32 woodie.i looked at the cowl when he was working on the wood,and it is the same as a 32 pick up.it even uses a pickup dash and windsheld frame.if you take the roof skin and visor off a truck cowl,you find that it has the same look as a woodie.

hope this helps.

-danny

3. They are a completely different animal. They only made 370 woodies in 32. My brother has owned two of them. He had one for sale at the Big 3 Swapmeet in San Diego 2 years ago. The dash may be the same as a truck but the cowl lines and window pillars are really quite different. You would hard pressed to make another body style into a woodie cowl. Not saying it couldn't be done but very hard. You would have to have a lot of pictures or one sitting right next to you. I don't know how much I helped if any. I'll see if my brother still has any pictures of it since he was selling the cowl (Sold for 6500) The woodie has a piano hinge that runs from top to bottom on the A pillar. That is what the door is attached to. It had no regular door hinges like other models. Hope this helps. My bro say there is one for sale on Hotrod Hotline .com or you could get the book Fabualous Ford Woodies or you could also go to Don Hotrod Page and look at the pics from last years Wavecrest pics. There was a great black 32 woodie there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. Weasel

Weasel

That'll be Jim Lattin's.

5. Would this be accurate? It's a scan of a custom '32 Woodie that Boyd built back in the mid-eighties - the article says it was original Woodie parts including battered cowl and floorpan but looks to me like it may have been fabbed - what do you guys think?

Steve

Attached Files:

6. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I don`t know the answer,
    but I have saved these pictures , cause I want one !
    I would say truck would be closest but not the same

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Here's some closeups of mine. Hope this helps. Building one from scratch would be one big job.

Bob

Attached Files:

8. You want stright answers,,talk to this guy,,he has built a bunch of woodies,,,HRP

[email protected]

9. alchemy

alchemy

Disclaimer: I don't own one.

To me those pics and any woodies I have seen in real life look just like a pickup cowl with a funky piano hinge rail bolted on, and a different header. There looks to be some additional (bigger) bracing inside in the kick panel area as well.

If a fella could fab the hinge flange, and maybe use a Model A fordor header as a starting point, I think a woodie cowl could be pretty convincingly faked from a pickup cowl.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty certain basic stamping was the same...plate where hinges go would have to be different at very least, probably they just started with rawest stamping before anything else was fitted. What does the stamping behind the awning look like?? I can't remember, and I have a pickup and a couple of extra bits.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Don't even know about this. Check out the Brizio pics. One shows a view of the door jamb, and you can see the three screws in a triangle pattern, just as would be used to attach the pickup's hinge. Maybe they attach the piano hinge mount?

OK real woodie owners: Show us a closeup pic of the door jamb and header panels on your cars.

12. To be perfectly honest the cowl section look just like my 32 pickup,,,minus the piano hinge. HRP

13. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I can't see old Henry Ford in his frugal ways tooling up to build a woody cowl only to build
    370 units. He was famous for carrying over parts and pieces!
    Maybe Bruce could post his truck cowl pictures to compare?

14. Here is the only photo that I have at hand that shows the hinge location,,,if you go back and look a the door shot of the woodie it appears as though it has a filled in spot where a normal hinge would go. HRP

[​IMG]