Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Website advise...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Conder

Conder

Hey folks, my wife is currently re-vamping http://www.condercustom.com and we are humbly and with great humility asking for tips. She's been tweeking it so it loads faster, but the galleries are stumping her. We have hundreds of photos to set up in galleries, and it would be a big help if some web geniuses could e-mail her with layman term guidance on the gallery set up process. We have the new dreamweaver stuff. Please keep the insults...er...constructive criticism to a minimum if possible. Positive suggestions work best with her. e-mail is [email protected] - Many thanks, Tim

2. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Thumbnails! They load quick and take up less space. Yeah, it takes some time to set up the pages, but it'll work. Love the site btw.

Vance

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Dreamweaver can create photo albums, is this what you are using? with thumbnails

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. RODDOORS

RODDOORS
    from NC

You said you have Dreamweaver-- You need Adobe Creative Suites 3 which includes DReamweaver, and 7 other things. There are page templates and its designed to load quickly. Its worth the money. Check out our website www.roddoors.com as this is what we use daily.

Kevin

5. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

hey, papasmurf here, dino's web guru. i'm sending something to that email address you posted. keep your eyes peeled!

6. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

7. Conder

Conder

We have that new dreamweaver suite and it kicks ass! She gets the thumbnail galleries set up but that's were it gets kooky. She's having a tough time getting them from set-up to post.

We really appreciate the advise. I like black pages with white type, blame that one on me...If I do a blog with lots of text I'll consider flipping it, but right now it's going to be mostly pictures. - Thanks!

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

To maximize the resolution with low file size, you could use photoshop and set up an action to "Save for web" all your images. Then all you have to do is designate the folder and photoshop will run through all the images by itself and resave them.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

also you may be able to use a "Generic" Flash file with built in gallery and just place images in a designated folder, you can get flash files like that at www.flashkit.com or www.flashden.net

11. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

I have a script that will do all that for you. Emailing her now.

12. raaf

raaf

...another approach...

depending on your webhost, you may want to opt for an image hosting application, like "gallery" - this will require that your host support "php" and "mysql." if they do, these terms will immediately ring a bell with them - so it's worth a call and asking. if they do, also ask if they'll assist with installation. in this way, you won't have to fully design the gallery area and can simply upload and manage photos through a web interface.

i know this may sound like more work up front, but the time/effort invested may make your gallery better. you can find out more about gallery here:

http://gallery.menalto.com/

13. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

14. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have used Gallery as well. An advantage to it is that folks who aren't web designers can also upload images to the gallery.

Another of the same sort is Coppermine Gallery.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/

Slonaker

15. Conder

Conder

Thanks fuckin' BIG time "Dave"!!!!!!!!!!! WOW that's a badass site that really lays it out in terms that are easy to understand yet don't talk down to me in a format which prose is understandable fuck yeah!!!!!!!!

16. bcarlson

bcarlson

Another tool for quick mass thumbnail creation, and it's free is Irfanview: www.irfanview.com

I'm anxious to see the new site Tim!

17. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Tim
    Keep It Simple unless you have a billion images and I doubt that
    Everything you need can be done with front page including auto thumbnail
    Try not to involve third party image galleries as it only distracts from your
    Main site
    When updates are necessary do them in house go to your control panel?
    Find the page you are updating upload the new version and overwrite existing page
    Everybody wants New/Better/Flash/Sexy/Cool/Bitchin
    I still say K.I.S.S.
    Check my friend Dan&#8217;s site a few to many images for me but it works

18. Conder

Conder

Thanks again guys, your advise is helping us big time! I agree...keep the shop simple and do the best work you can...