Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Graffiti '40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Jul 19, 2008.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I know there have been a ton of posts on American Graffiti and it's cars, but I believe there was a chopped, either sectioned or channeled, '40 Ford Coupe in it at some point - if memory serves me it was in the Pharoahs footage. It apparently had no back window 'split', and that window is very short - cut in the chop. I know Dianalee has a thread or two here on her father's '40, but in all it's pictures, it had a split, and unchopped/stock height rear window. I believe that car was in Hollywood Knights if I am correct, so my guess is it's different that the A/G car.
    Anyone have any info, knowledge, pics or anything of the '40 in Graffiti? Any help at all would be appreciated. Post or PM - Thank you!! Tim :)

2. Rikster

Rikster

I'm not sure, but I believe George Lucas used the Barris built Tom Hocker 1940 Ford for the movie.

I think it appeared in the movie looking like this

[​IMG]

(Photo from the Barry Mazza photo collection)

[​IMG]

But most people do know the car best in its First Barris version...

[​IMG]

Or the later version with quad headlights.

[​IMG]

The car is still around, and is currently beeing restored back to its old Barris looks.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. eric

eric

i took a picture of a picture at the NHRA Museum exhibit during the Barris display, RIKSTER, check my photobucket i've been to plenty of car shows recently and as always feel free to use what ever pics of mine for your website...
    [​IMG]

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah it was the Hocker 40 coupe in the pale yellow(?) with the psychedelic scallops. That car always grabbed my attention too!

The first version is the nicest, as usual!

5. yeah, i remember that car always cruisin' around in the movie...

6. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

As always - awesome response! Any pics of the back of the car?? I see a shodow of a rear window split in one of the pics, but the one in the movie doesn't have one that I can remember...... Thank you! :)

7. beautiful car..

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

never really cared for the car

9. JamesG

JamesG

10. mikes51

mikes51

found this on the net somewhere.

[​IMG]

There are the 4 cars that are everyone's favorites. But in this one scene this 40 and the guys riding low in the yellow 56 make it for me.

40fordtudor likes this.
  11. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I thought i was the only one that noticed that car, as ive never seen a discussion about it. its a shame the front doesnt look as incredible as the back!! Thanks for the pics!!

12. candyman

candyman

I've got a diecast Johnny Lightening of most of the American Graffitti cars including that one timmy!

13. No doubt in my mind thats the same car.heres the one from Hollywood knights

Attached Files:

14. Cataldo

Cataldo

That is my favorite car, well its up between that and Catallo's Coupe.

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The car is being restored by an owner that just got it back after owning it a couple times before in the past. I think he's doing it the ice blue/dual headlight version. He's looking for a Crestliner steering wheel.

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

theres some body styles you just dont screw with..................

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. classicfins

classicfins

[​IMG]

I love this car........

18. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

anyone got a picture of the yellow 56?

I myself always noticed the gasser looking late 30s chevy (i think, 37-39) parked on the side of the road,,ya know??

19. mikes51

mikes51

Yea, it was double parked, looked like it was just waiting to get hit by traffic. Come to think of it, Falfa's car and that one are the only gasser style cars in the movie, heh?

20. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

someone needs to pull up a picture of this gasser style late 30s chevy now..

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

[​IMG]

I walked right past that car one day in 1975 while walking home from 7th grade. It was parked on Tassajara Drive in East Richmond, California (bay area). I had seen it in the R&C issue with coverage of American Graffitti and my jaw dropped when I saw it just parked there on the street. Swear to God.

8flat likes this.
  22. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Absolutely cool. That clears up the back window thing as far as that car goes. Were there any other 40's in the movie at all?? Somewhere I am picturing a splitless chopped back window '40 Coupe, but the old memory just isn't what it once was - the 70's (and 80's) took their toll. I think it takes/took balls to mess with a '40, especially to chop one, as few have pulled it off well - especially with those compound curves and all. I would suppose it would take more than one '40 to make it happen, or one heckuva panel beater.
    Thanks for the input. It's great to know there are others that have looked into, been interested in and know some of the cool 'lesser known' cars in the movie. I would love to see a pic of that '56 as well.
    Candyman - any extras of that 'Lightning '40?? Or are they still at the stores somewhere..... Jim A - Those Crestliner wheels have become dear haven't they - Couldn't SoCal LA have some cast?? :D Tim :)

23. mikes51

mikes51

I just had to google tassajara drive since I once lived where McBryde meets Arlington Blvd. I'm not surprised, there's alot of car activity up there in Richmond. If they recruited cars from the Marin area, Richmond is only across the bridge.

I swear once when I was a teenager I saw the Maze or a car that looked just like it sitting out in a dirt field by some street (Sacramento). Paint was faded and weeds growing up all around it.

I'm just guessing here but I'll bet George Lucas "cast" the cars with the subtlety that us car nuts would appreciate. In other words, the coolest character had the coolest car, etc. If you look at the 4 famous cars, each fit the character that drove them. I can't imagine the 58 chev having a chopped top, that would make it too cool, maybe cooler than the '32? That wouldn't fit the hierarchy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  24. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

I met George Lucas at goodwood a few years ago.
    I said "your responsible for everything I,ve done since I was sixteen"
    to which He replied " I must apologise for that!".. ..........

25. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Johnny Lightning sells a car they call a 1941 Willys I think its this car?? I just bough one off of fee-pay haven't got it yet.

Attached Files:

26. ......"it's Tony Nancy yellow".............. Tony's line from the film.

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I liked the two Nomads in American Graffiti.

28. adamaged1

adamaged1
    from tulsa

i know this is old thread but i grew up with the 39 chevy that is double parked in the movie!! here is a pic!! btw the guy who owned says it wasnt a gasser but i remember c-gas on the side of it. He is looking for it can someone help???? please, the last he heard it was in sacramento any help is greatly appreciated :) im or email me
    the car was in the oakland roadster show and raced at fremont back in the day, it had a 430 ci hemi set up with a 12 pac and push button chrysler tranny
    i can remember hearing it coming from blocks away, i used to live in richmond, right near pup hut which is still there lol:D it was also in popular hot rodding in 1974 cant think of what month off hand but i do have a copy of mag
    right near pup hut which is still there lol:D

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  29. Red Ram Hemi

Red Ram Hemi
    from Shack

I don't think they are the same car, the chop looks differnt in the front, front windows are different, wheel wells differnt, grille and hood different.

Red Ram

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. I kinda think you might be right after diggin into it more,damn I was w**ng I think...........