Register now to get rid of these ads!

Few bel air and 283 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zodiac matt, Jul 17, 2008.

1. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

hey guys, im picking up a 1960 bel air with a running 283 this sunday, i was wondering whats a good carb and intake setup would be that isnt too pricey, also what ignition upgrades would you guys reccommend? i was also wondering if www or skinny whites would be period correct? steelies, hub cap, or certain rim? trying to make a mild kustom out of it and still keep it period correct, i was thinking maybe do the roof in flaked white since the car will be black, thanks, Matt

2. Either white walls are '60s correct, but I prefer wide whites myself. For wheels you could so a steelie with a Olds fiesta wheel cover or something, thats always a winner. As for the 283, if you wanna get a little more performance out of it on a budget, just pick up a mild dual plane aluminum intake from Edelbrock or Weiand with a modest size carb, maybe find a old (but still good!) Mallory dual point dizzy. Color sounds cool :D
    -Dean

3. Cataldo

Cataldo

283's are great motors. If you have the cash, grab your self a cam set up aswell. Then that 283 will start to roar. Like "HotRod28AR" said, a good intake (if going new get an Eddy Performer series, or get something of the equal) and a 600cfm Carb. Holley really, but to KISS teory it run an Eddy.

4. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

Thanks man! the guy said the tires were basically new so they'll prob stay for a bit, im thinking orange/bronze scallops on it too, i thought i read something about edelbrock makeing a c3b or c4b something along those lines, for the 283.....are they vintage only or do they still make them? I'm gonna do the wheels the same color as the scallops, maybe put those hub caps on too

5. voodoohotrods

voodoohotrods

steelies and www are good looking, but i'm a big fan of radirs and thin whites...the wheels cost more but the tires are cheaper, and lets be honest you're gonna go through a lot more tires than you will wheels. as fa as ignition is concerned i've had a lot of luck with various petronix or points conversion set ups, crane cams makes one thats reasonably priced and it's been great in my ranchero for the past year or so.

6. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

7. A good dual plane intake and a 500cfm Edelbrock carb works great on a 283.

8. Those caps would be really cool on a '60! Especially on orange/bronze wheels and disc brake rally centers. Just make sure the cap covers the "disc brake" writing on the center.

Think about a standard white roof with the same color scallops as on the black. Not every custom needs heavy flake on top. But as they say...."Opinions are like.......

9. belair

belair

This is a "can't go wrong" plan. Just better have a srtaight body for that black. Can't hardly think of a color that won't work. A little restraint on those cars goes a long way. Good luck

10. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

thanks guys, the flake might be a little pricey, so it might just go white top with scallops on it. were can i get the disc brake rally centers?

11. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Well my 60 has a 283 with a edelbrock 500cfm carb, a hei ignition and runs great. Bellflower exhaust, black steelies with spider caps and trim rings, flat purple with a white roof with purple pearl in it. And I don't want to do a thing to it!

[​IMG]

12. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

wow that thing looks great, what intake are you useing? also what ignition kit did you go with?

13. A c3B edelbrock intake is the same design as a 365 327 winters GM intake. I dont think they make then any more. But i have seen some on ebay. If you can find one the 300 hp 327,s had a cast iron intake with a carter AFB that worked really good on 283,s. You can also use a adapter to put a AFB or holley on a Qjet intake. If you will port match the gaskets and open up the exhaust and install a GM HEI with performance coil cap ect. That 283 will out run lots of larger engines in a drag race because with the short stroke it will wind up faster.:eek:OldWolf

14. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Thanks,
    It has a stock GM 4bbl intake. The wiring kit is a cheaper version of a painless I don't recall the brand off hand. I've had luck with it's a snap wiring kits in my old 51.

15. If you're going mild custom and '60s the wide whites are doable but I always prefered pinners myself. But like Hotrod said its a matter of taste.

I'd probably go with chrome reverse wheels instead of caps but i'm not a hubcap sort as a rule.

If you're buying a new intake I'd probably go with a Wieand Stealth on the litte V-8 and a Holley 600 vac secundaries, you just can't go wrong with the little Holley carb. Easy to tune, easy to work on and they as a rule are set it and forget it.

If I was after something old I'd just look for what I could find. The Older edelbrock intakes are Ok, but I lean towards Wieand or Holleys myself, and offy if I can find one; but only when I'm going High Buck.

If I was after points I personally think that you can't beat an older Mallory unit, but although they are hard to find I've also had good luck with the delco unit used in the older vette. I don't like the hassle of points iginition just getting old I guess, in which case I might look for an older dizzy and convert it to a mallory unilite. Don't get the cheap one, they have two options one in the 30 to 40 dollar range and one in the 80-90 dollar range, the higher priced one is the good one believe it or not.

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

I picked up an Edelbrock Streetmaster intake for my stock 283. I think it's from the 70's & not much of an improvement over the stock manifold, but it has the front filler tube hole & the price was right. I just ordered a new 500 cfm Edelbrock carb to go with it.

17. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

little update, went and got it today for 1100! talked the guy down!

i also found out that the carb sucks on it and it dies when you put it in drive, do you guys think a 500cfm 4barrel is overkill? i would like to order a carb and intake with electrical choke that isnt made for racing or overkill for my motor or wallet, any good tested and true setups? it has "ram horn" exhaust manifolds so im going to keep them for now!

whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to ignition kits and an altornator swap kit since it has a generator right now, i'd like to do them and try and fix the carb for now so i can drive it around, i dont wanna go fast, just cruise! thanks for all the help, Matt

18. belair

belair

Spend your money on the intake/carb first, alternator later. The generator will work just fine. I don't know what the pros and cons of a 450 Holley are, but if you're just gonna cruise it, that might be a good choice. I'd leave the ram's horns on. They cool.

19. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

20. David Chandler

David Chandler

If you want to run a 2bbl, switch to the larger runner versions that was used on 305's, 350's and 400's. The stock large 2bbl would be enough for a mild motor in a hefty car. The stock car guys run this intake with either the larger Rochester or a big Holley. If you use the Holley you will need an adapter plate. I strongly sugest that you make your own, as they often are of poor quality and fit. Also they are made with an opening between the throttle bores. Block this off, or make one without one, and the bottom end will be much better.

21. Any business that sells repro steel wheels or Camaro restoration parts should be able to get those for you.

Again, nice ride!