Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have info on this 34 Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALCAN AV8, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

This pickup showed up at our local cruise last weekend.

http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206

It appears to have been untouched for quite some time.

The current owner was looking for info on the truck. He was told it might have come from the Denver area and may have been on the cover or in a magazine? It is a long ways from home now but it would be interesting to know the history if anyone can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

John Lennon owned it and a matching Rolls Royce.

3. DAMN, that thing is crazy enough to leave alone. Might try Art Himsel in Concord CA. it looks like one of his paint jobs. It should have his signature on it somewhere. He painted some cars for Andy Brizio that look just like it. Howdy Ledbetter might know the truck, he had a 32 Sedan that Art painted in the 70's that was pretty crazy too. Do a Google search for the names I posted and you will find contact info. Dean

4. It looks like it should have one of those flourescent triangles they put on a tractor on it... except pink and upside down.

5. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

6. I'll try to be nice but that truck looks embarrased,,just because it has/had history as a circus wagon dosen't make it a sacred cow,,,:rolleyes: HRP

7. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

that paint job makes me nervous

8. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

The current owner would like to update the truck but he was hoping to get some more info about it before he does anything.
    If it is an old John Lennon Hot Rod he might leave it as is. ;)

9. floored

floored

This is your painter on acid............any questions!!!

10. Maybe not all history should be preserved...

11. alchemy

alchemy

Preserve it! I think it looks to be in great shape for as old as that paint's gotta be. I'm guessing 1970 or so. What year are those taillights, '69ish Pontiac?

I'd say it's mostly 1934 Ford truck, but the bed looks different (shortened at the least) and the wheelbase has been shortened for sure.

12. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I'm with Alchemy on this one. It has character and it sure would stand out in a sea of flat black and gloss red. Change the tires to something more period correct and leave it as is. You repaint it and I guarantee it won't get as much attention.

13. belair

belair

WOW-just because you can doesn't mean you ought.

14. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

please buy paint stripper now. as a matter of fact im sending you some for FREE!.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I love it!

Here's a similar, wildly painted hotrod "survivor" that showed up at Hotrodarama last year.....

Attached Files:

16. alchemy

alchemy

All you hater newbies that were building VW's and minitrucks last year should step back and look at a real traditional truck. "Traditional" doesn't only mean 1950's, and you'll never get more authentic 1970 traditional than this. This history should be preserved.

17. I thought we pick and choose what history is worth saving and what history is to be destroyed, based on how cool we think it is today? And I thought history started at 1948 and ended in 1964?

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Stan betz had a simular type paint on(i think a t-bucket) from the 70's?

19. 2-TONED

2-TONED

200-S wheels - lots of candy colors - chromed stock front axle - looks like chrome bones - i bet it has good gauges in it with velvet interior.
    i like it - id love to have that truck!

good old hippy era! drugs, sex, crazy stuff!!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  20. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

My students think history began the day they were born.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it is cool. a rare example of a paint style that will never return. look at the rod run or car show coverage in your 70's magazines. that was prolly one hot number in it's day.

it would be a shame to change it.

22. KY Boy

KY Boy

I would have a hard time taking the sandpaper and starting to rough it or strip it. Although not the coolest thing now it was trendy at one time. Do what you will but I'd keep it.

23. Good thing.

24. austin514

austin514

the hot rod world would suck if all you seen was red 32 fords,red 57 chevys and black mercs!!!!!!!!!!! oh Waite a minute

25. Had John Lennon had ANYTHING to do with that truck we would have read about it in one of the publications or there would be something on the internet,

As far a preserving it history,,it's you friends truck and it's his choice to leave it looking like a circus wagon or update it,,,,

I was around in the during the 60's/70's and painted my pearl white van with the wild candy paint and lace patterns,,,much like the truck in question,,,

It thought it was cool for about 6 months,,after that it got old,,,,I just don't care for the style. HRP

26. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

2-Toned, here are some photos of the interior. You were not too far off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Would be a shame to paint over it..yes i like the wacky cooky 70's "hey im on acid, lets spray a car" paint jobs.

28. How pften do you see a crazy paint job like that now a days,tell the dude to keep it as is,if nothing else it will piss off the "traditionalist flat black,red rim guys"it represents an era that will probably and hopefully not return but its still a transition of the lifestyle we live now and its cool to see something like that from time to time.

29. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

A pic of this truck is on page 14 of the April 1976 issue of "1001 Custom and Rod Ideas." It's the show coverage for the 1976 Denver World of Wheels show. It says:

"This '34 Ford pickup with ultra-wild paint runs a 302 Ford engine. Terry Ward of Westminster, Colorado, owns wild machine. Pant scheme defies interpretation but is striking."

I would post a scan of it, but my scanner doesn't work with my new computer. Hope this helps!

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wind wings and the classic mustang shifter!(much before the word Lokar came to be)
    I am oddly attracted to it!

It survived this far..... just correct the stance and leave her be!:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008