Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Millers at Milwaukee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Super88, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Super88

Super88

This past Friday and Saturday, the Harry A. Miller Club held their Millers at Milwaukee Vintage Indy Car Event at the Milwaukee Mile. The meet features race cars from the teens to the 50's and 60's. Although the ticket price of $25 may seem steep, it's well worth it. The ticket is good for both days and allows entry in to the pits all the way to the fence dividing the pit road and the track itself. Unlike many events, the vehicles aren't roped off or plastered with "Do Not Touch"signs and I've seen owners actually offer parents to sit their kids in the car for a picture. I've talked to several owners that were very friendly and eager to share their knowledge and history of their car with you. As good as all this is, there is nothing like hearing these machines take laps around the track. Even though their speed is restricted, they have a bark all their own you won't forget soon.
    Here's some of my photos from the meet, with more to come if there is enough interest.

Attached Files:

2. Super88

Super88

And what kind of car do you drive when your not playing with your vintage racer? How about a 34 Ford modified to fit a Marmon V-10? This one sounded sweet also.

Attached Files:

3. Super88

Super88

Ok, so she's not vintage, but I took the photo anyway!

Attached Files:

4. Super88

Super88

How about a handbuilt minature version? Every piece of this beautiful car was hand made and is shown sitting on the pit road wall.

Attached Files:

5. Super88

Super88

Some were fortunate enough to get a ride.
    Could this be a H.A.M.B.E.R.?

Attached Files:

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I liked the Miller car on Grumpys Hot Rods post, the cars pictured here are Choice

Have a few 20's & 30's Indy photos & a Miller Special, Going to be a Great Show

Super 88 give us a month or two heads up for next years show, i could work a Chicago visit in

and go back through Milwaukee

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

That Marmon is a V-16, That is a sweet car.
    Gary

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm so going to this deal next year.

9. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

You will not be disappointed... fun stuff. Neat -o- vintage

Didn't go this year but the four previous, yes.

Rome

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i am sucker for a 35j as the next guy, but what do they have to do with Miller? they didn't even use his carbs. but darn, everything there looks so darn tasty.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

That car was restored by the late Chuck Davis. He found the rolling chassis then traced every former owner, and found most of the parts they has stashed away. I believe he had to cast a new crankcase for the 16 cylinder Miller and made four carbs from original Miller blueprints. Great guy with a nice collection of cars, we miss him.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was lucky enough to attend the Miller Show last year, great show / track day. I was there on a trip in the 37 (yep, Tampa to Milwaukee and back, the long way thru Cleveland!). I'm glad to see that the show has gone on, as the rumor-mill keeps saying every show is the last one.

Also about that same time is a show put on by the Vintage Modified Stock Car association called the Chicken Show. It is held at one of the Champion Chicken places on the NW side of Milwaukee. Champion was a sponsor of many of these old racers and teams. If you are a fan of dirt track racing this is one show you will greatly enjoy, and the food is wonderful too. I think this year's event has just taken place, but I'm not sure and could still happen. I also attended that event in my 37 and they were SO happy to see an old race fan from Florida show up they gave me a parking spot with the old race cars. Very neat. Go here for some pix of last year's event... http://www.vmsconline.com/news.html

[​IMG]

13. Super88

Super88

For the detail folks.

Attached Files:

14. McKee

McKee

Did you get any more pics of the red car in the background?

Attached Files:

15. Super88

Super88

Looks like I have one more of that one.

Attached Files:

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When I see these kinds of beautiful racing engines... just reconfirms my intention to put a small displacement, high tech motor in my next rod. Most of the produciton based engines we see in hot rods just pale in comparison to these jewels.

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thats Jim Hemilsback (sp) driving, He is the Head guy at Zakira's Garage in Cincinnati. One of the top Miller restoration shops in the world. Jim is a great guy! I was schedualed to haul a car up with him but at the last minute the car didn't need to go so my trip fell through.:mad:

I'll be there next year. Jim is not a HAMBER but he watches it.. I was at there shop all day Tues doing some final touches on that Metz there driving. Thats a 1913 FACTORY RACE CAR!!:eek: AND the best part is its UNRESTORED!!

They got it in good running condition and Jim isn't afraid to let her rip!

Joshua Shaw

18. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

How about a full size version, I built for HAMBER Carl Schulz of Indio CA.

Attached Files:

19. stan292

stan292

Super-

Love this stuff! Thanks for posting. More to come?

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool..........the wife and I almost made the trip and we spoke of it last time BobK was in town and then with the $4.00 gas and spending a WHOLE lot of coin for the Bonneville trip this year, it sorta' fell thru..........but, next year we will be there......it is only 9 hours from the KC area and heck we can make it to the Salt in one straight shot with no sleep.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

21. the Champion Chicken vintage modified and race car show was July 8,2008. Good turn out of old race cars, spectators that are race car fans, good food etc. No pics, happened to be driving by and stopped, didn't have camera, one day I will remember to keep it in the saddlebag.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Mark, it's usually the weekend after the 4th of July..............Iola weekend! :)

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oh man, that is a MERCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a Metz is a poor excuse for an automobile. I've never seen the one in the photo, it it the Dave Uhline car?

24. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

is this a yearly event?

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep. yer right!:eek: I only wish I could keep all the race cars I work on straight.. If your gonna have a problem, thats one to have!:D

I don't know the owners name..

JD

26. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Made my day super 88 thanks for the great shots !!!!

27. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here's some pics I took;

A couple Duesenberg powered Specials;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Indian Gas Special, appears T based;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frontenac T powered Indy/Sprint car

[​IMG]

28. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Bugatti engine;

[​IMG]

Cable operated Brakes

[​IMG]

Hispano Suiza speedster

[​IMG]

Mercer Engine

[​IMG]

'35 Miller Ford front drive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'27 Miller front drive

[​IMG]

29. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

'34 Miller

[​IMG]

Art Sparks 6 cyl.

[​IMG]

Home built Crosley front drive. Apparently a multi generation 75 year project

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uihlein Special
    [​IMG]

Uncommon Engineerings Novi replica

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009