Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional vs. Non-Traditonal & the HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by CLSSY56, Jul 14, 2008.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

The HAMB from my understanding is a Traditional hotrod site.

Yet why are there post on disk brakes, th350s and Mustang II suspension. These are just a few of the ones I have seen today, which are clearly not traditional?

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

I thought the only way these would fly around here were if they were hidden (under fenders or even behond old backing plates) - other than that, I agree with you.

3. zombie

zombie

sure seems to be a lot of s-10 frame questions as well. i too have noticed more of the non traditional threads.

4. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I don't disagree about safety and reliability, just wondering why these posts survive and others get bashed or get deleted.

5. JBEAU

JBEAU

Just my two cents...I kinda like to stop....and a nasty small block or hemi or Nailhead.....can be a handfull and we drive ours way to much to compromise safety...pullin my Roadster down from a 11 sec pass ain't fun with drums....and I like me alot....technology advances for a reason...and can still be cool and or hidden...

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I really like it when someone bitches about the content on a free acess message board. You could:
    A- not look at those posts
    B- start your own message board
    C- STFU

7. zombie

zombie

safety and reliability are one thing, but couldn't give a shit about a shoebox on an s-10 frame, or how to put some fuel efficient jap 4 banger in a roadster. they seem like subjects for another forum.

8. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

So, what's the definition of "traditional" or is there a fine line between "traditional" and "retro-mod"?

9. JBEAU

JBEAU

depends on the era you are building for.....40s 50s 60s.....

10. Depends on how high your cuffs are.

11. zombie

zombie

personally, i dont think it is as confusing as people have made it. a pre 65 vehicle built in a pre 65 style, with period parts. and yes, i have been called a traditional nazi, and im ok with that. a flatback shoebox on an s-10 chassis with red wheels and a set of radial white walls is not traditional. i dont care how you slice it.

a- this has always been a traditional message board. not how to get your "donks" to fit in your fender well, or how to turn your s-10 into a ratrod.

12. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

As I said on the thread that was deleted, I don't have a problem with MII IFS on a full fendered car... it doesn't belong on a fenderless car... as far as disc brakes, I know they aren't traditional, but I have running them on front and rear... my car isn't completely 'traditional' but it was built the way I wanted... as we all build our cars...

as far as the definition of 'traditional'... there are over 50,000 people on the HAMB now... so how many definitions do you think there are...

13. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

You forgot to add that you can only use period correct tools, with the work being done by period correct (i.e. old) guys drinking period correct beverages in a period correct garage.

If you can't meet all of those criteria... then GTFO, am I right?

14. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I guess this is more of a question for Ryan and the moderators. What is acceptable, border line and what gets deleted? Also why are smart-assed replies acceptable, as they don't do the post, the poster or the HAMB any good (in my opinion).

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Drama gets Deleted.( or Closed )

If you see anything thats not acceptable, please Report it...

17. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

So why wouldn't replies get deleted instead of the closing or deleting the whole post?

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sometimes they do, that depends on the Thread.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Traditional is tough to define as it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people... This forum has always been based on the inspiration of tradition. We've always allowed discussion on topics such as mustang II suspensions (on fendered cars mostly), th350s, disc brakes, etc... And I can think of more than a few cars that have all of the above that I love... and consider traditionally inspired. My '38 being one of them.

I guess it's a pretty shallow interpretation on our part, but it seems to work and people seem to enjoy our range most of the time. Sorry if you don't... We try - promise.

Along the same lines, posts on earthquakes, ramblurs, Edsels, and raising your boys (all threads started by you) aren't traditionally traditional, but we let them slide on ocassion because we know those threads mean something to somebody... even if they don't make sense to us.

Point being, it's a big world out there and we only fence in a small part of it.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ok, I've already been in trouble once today...

Conversely, then why do posts or pix with tatooed / pierced women persist? Or of rusty, borderline builds (you know, the ones most folks politely call R.. Rods and others just call S... boxes?). Or of the "art cars" - humorous or otherwise more personalized versions of the cars in the preceeding category that, for some unknown reason, bring a smile to our faces for their creativity despite being equally unfinished and probably even more unsafe?

Or posts on fenderless pickups with tractor grilles and no bed floors? Or the bone stock shoe-boxes with wide whites and a flying eye ball decal? How did those cars become traditional hot rods? I don't remember seeing cars like that when I was a kid being particularly special or anything you'd aspire to own. Come to think of it, I didn't EVER see cars like that back then, ever, at all. Perhaps I didn't get baptised in the right stream, live in the right burb?

When I think of the car scene back then.. the hot rod girls were like WWII nose art, or Playboy pinup pix, or prom queens; the music was all over the board, from Elvis to BoDidley to the Everly Bros. (no punk / garage bands / rap). Yeah, you can only take so much of the old stuff at times, but that's how it was.

When I think of the golden years of traditional rodding, I think more of post WW2 or the Korean War up to perhaps Vietnam, but I know it started earlier than that. Even the trampiest of women back then didn't have tatoos or piercings. There were NO fenderless, rust-O-matic pickups called hot rods. Or published in magazines. A shop truck was a shop truck. It wasn't a "weathered" fake shop truck. About the only thing those cars and some of the new "hot rods" have in common is steel. If you're gonna allow fake, weathered shop trucks, then you might as well allow glass cars as long as they have the right "look" eh?

I didn't say I didn't like the new stuff I see here (I LOVE fenderless pickups with Fordson grilles!) or borderline women (who doesn't!), it's just that those aren't the iconic images I remember from the 50's and 60's. So if I can tolerate and enjoy them, why can't a fellow use a disc brake or IFS when he wants to? I also remember customs and show cars venturing into all kinds of new tech back then, like air bags and independent suspension (Bignotti) and using trick stuff and speed equipment borrowed from salt cars, drag cars, oval cars, and them sporty cars. I also remember hot rodders stuffing big American OHV mills into home built cars and creaming those little sporty jobs in road races, too. Had your Rodentia rod road racing lately? Will it corner, stop, or run at freeway speeds all day? Many other rods of the time could do that as they did double duty as race cars and street cars - so they almost HAD to have stuff like disc brakes and fuel injection, and seat belts to keep up with the competition and to be legal to race. Those guys wanted to go fast and the sanctioning bodies saw the need to make them safer - and so they all looked for the new stuff.

The only primer I remember seeing a lot was on unfinished cars and the glass hoods of gassers, briefly, before it got painted. When I think of the cars back then, I remember a lot more of chrome and flashy paint, and all kinds of wierd off the wall stuff, like shag carpet and upholstered fender wells (they did it to cover up their crappy looking chassis', as I understand it). Folks took pride in the rides.. things got painted and polished now and then. In fact, didn't those cars get SO flashy and SO chromed they no longer worked? Sooner or later even the show promoters MADE the show cars actually operate to be considered for awards. And if CNC miling or EFI had been invented back then, bet ya it would have been used, on race, street and show cars.

But regardless of how I feel, if the "unsaid" rules of this board are not working for the harder core folks, then I guess it's time for a manifesto of some kind, eh?

But I'd hate to see fiber glass and Ed Roth outlawed for being "too smooth" or machined parts banned because they are too "billet," or seat belts removed because cars back then didn't have them - besides drivers back then had bigger balls (which evidently cushioned their impacts.)

Gary

Tjompen likes this.
  21. zombie

zombie

i understand that on a message board you are going to have a little play. in the magazine we have run (fendered) cars with disk brakes, and even featured a couple of customs with radial tires. however, it was the s-10 frames and new 4 cylinder jap engines that pushed me over the edge.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

See, there is another opinion... This could go on for days... and has in the past.

And frankly, I don't think it's that interesting of a discussion.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Those posts need to be reported. I certainly haven't seen them.

We don't allow mini dragsters either! :)

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Unless they look like this...:D

Attached Files:

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy shit! What is that?

26. BBobb

BBobb

I have been a member of this forum for a little over a year now. Their is no doubt that i am a true newbie greenhorn.I have wanted to ask and or start the same type of thread simply becuase i was not sure about the differance of opinions of traditional and not so traditional.So i have also learned in my 44 yaers on this earth that some times it is better to be thought a fool rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Thanks Ryan i have learned a little more about the differance between the two with out all the hype and trashing

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

An Allard FED.