Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A moment of history...Teixeira Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2008.

1. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Skip, you really scored, just the picture of Mr. Teixeira and Neil Averill is priceless. The photo of you guys with the finished rig will be %:^*#@&>;! COOL!
    Can't wait to see it
    Oly

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Original artwork....the cartoon is a guy stomping grapes.

[​IMG]

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

An important piece of the puzzle. After updating the car through the years Fred stored everything. This is the original chrome axle from the 66 car and will be returned where it belongs.

[​IMG]

4. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I would have loved to have checked it out this year but once again my travel plans are toast.

:(

5. Buildy

Buildy

So cool when these cars come back right instead of butchered!

Hope to see more of this beauty!

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fred Teixeira looking great at 65 years young. He wanted to stop by and inspect the chassis for the Willys. Fred also was telling me some awesome stories of some very famous Drag Nuts.........................P.S. I will keep some of the stories to myself.

[​IMG]

7. casper

casper

WOW! this is going to be coolbadness. My dad used to take me to Rasin city to watch the drags in the 60's. I remember Tommy Ivo ran his 4 engine, four wheel drive dragster one time and then he said (over the P.A. loudspeaker) "That's it folks...the front tires were smoking so bad...I could not see a thing the whole 1/4 mile, so that's the only run I'm making today!" I also seem to remember they used to run 4 cars at a time! all side by side. By the way....who is the professional model you hired to hold the axle and stand next to Fred Teixeria? I also have vivid memories of Kerney Bowl circle track races. My dad was a big race fan and he drug me and my brother with him everywhere!

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Kenny how is vacation treating you?....great to hear from you. Fred is looking great and sharp as a tack.

9. casper

casper

Mark, It's more like retirement than vacation! I feel fortunate to have mounted the tires for the "Half Breed" gasser Corvette. I only wish I was still there to help Dave with this piece of history. You guy's are so far ahead of the game in finding and restoring this cool old stuff. I am happy to to say....Yea, I know those dudes! (that's as close as I'll get to being cool!) I am ready for a big Bar B Q.... (hint, hint, hint!)

10. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Royalshifter were did you find the willys what did it look like any photos.
    Do you have they original chassis or are you building a new one,
    I was told that the chassis of the willys went under this vette.
    Looking forward to seeing the car done,

[​IMG]

11. Hey Skip, that's a Don Long front axle. I have one going under my Willys.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is a great photo of the Vette. That is the Willys chassis under the Vette but unfortunately in about 1984 the Willys chassis came out and disappeared. I am replicating as close to the original as I can with Fred's memory.

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It sure is Kev, unreal that Fred still had it all these years.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is a Dummy that Ryan sent over to show off his T-shirts. LOL

15. I know that we have talked of this before, but my dad and his partners Dick Jones and Chris Christensen runner-upped to Fred @the '65 March Meet in B/G or little eliminator. Fred Badberg (aka "Frantic Fred") has told me he has an 8mm film of the race and I have been trying for several years to get his wife to dig it up. Maybe if you call too it'll motivate her (818)504-9307 her name is Lou and this # is their shop. If Fred(T) has any pictures with our '56 I would be very grateful as we are restoring it to '65-'67 era. We definately need to get these cars back together again in the future. Bitchen project, please keep us all updated. PS my uncle Roger Panneton also
    ran a '55 chevy in B/G call the ERRATICATOR. Last seen in Burbank in
    the early 70's painted lavender(ugh)! any info would be great.

16. Almost forgot, a couple of pics. IMG_1135.jpg

Panneton082803.jpg

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

It is a wonder any old race cars are ever found. Race cars have always been an evolving entity, old cars getting cannabilized for parts for the "new" car. The Willy's chassis under the 'Vette is a good example. Good to see another one coming back.

18. skip im on the edge of the seat waiting to see the car finished!:D

19. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Kev,
    Are you buying one from Mr. Waldron or do have an original? Is anybody else making a repo of the Don Long axle?

20. The one I have is an original I found hanging in the workshop at Blairs speed shop.

[​IMG]

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Skip, I was lucky enough yesterday, at the LA Roadster Show, to get a chance to have a long talk with Blackie Gejeian. He was talking about his days as a drag promoter in the Central Valley and has many fond memories of Fred's Willys. Must have been one hell of a race car and race driver. It sure made an impression on Blackie, and he's seen his fair share of fast cars...
    [​IMG]

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool mazooma....maybe it will be in the 50th and last Autorama.

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Well after hours upon hours the chassis is ready and here is a short update and the state the car is in now. I fabbed all the engine mounts like Fred had them. The engine left today to go to legendary Joe Baghosian Racing Engines to do his magic. The 426 is the original injected aluminum head Dick Landy Industries engine from 1966.

[​IMG]

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I want to thank Kiwi Kev for his participation of information on this build. Remember it is being done the way Fred Teixeira had built it in 1964 thru 1966 excluding the barn. More updates when I get the OK.

[​IMG]

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If anyone has a lead on some of the Dick Landy decals on the valve covers it would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

27. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Am I the only one thinking the grille in the car and the one you are holding look totally different? the one in the car has very small apertures and the one your holding has much bigger holes...same patttern but a different part??

28. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

As I've mentioned before I did the fiberglass work on the Corvette iteration of the car. Wayno

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Car Craft, July, 1969

30. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

That engine is fucking awesome!! Do you have anymore picts of the cylinder heads?

-E.C.