Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old school Hi Pro SBC intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilone0528, Jul 9, 2008.

1. evilone0528

evilone0528

I did a search and couldn't find any thing.Any one got any good ideas and or pics?I have a bad ass SBC motor but I want it to look "traditional" and still run like a bat out of hell.

Thanks in advance!

EVIL

2. DollaBill

DollaBill

3. evilone0528

evilone0528

Thats bad ass DollaBill.Did you make it?Hows the performance compared to a modern single plane high rise intake?Id like to know more about some single 4bl intakes.I have a killer carb,and I can hide it with a cool looking "hat".

Im also planning on running a LOT of nitrous through this motor.I was thinking of doing an "under the intake" kind of thing.

EVIL

4. To be perfectly honest, many or most of the older performance intakes for the SBC are not good...terrible mixture distribution, dropout, etc. If you plan on using "a lot" of nitrous, you are much better off looking at one of the current Victors, Dart, Brodix, etc. single plane intakes.....

Some of the older intakes can be reworked to somewhat improve things but it takes a lot of experimentation, A/F sensors and a flow bench...better yet a wet flow bench...or even sending the intake to Wilson or someone of that nature.

Excluding all that, one of the better older 4bbl. intakes is the Chevrolet LT-1 used for years on a variety of cars, and it has something of a vintage look...it is a dual plane intake, though, and therefore not perfect. Some of the earlier Chevrolet intakes are not too bad, but they often have issues with #5/#7 distribution. Not so critical for a street car but important with N2O.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

In the early sbc days, A lot of guys ran either a 2X2, 3X2 or dual quads. Edelbrock, Weiand and Offenhauser would be a good place to start.

6. evilone0528

evilone0528

I have a Dart intake for the motor now,and it has worked very well for me.I'm just trying to find a happy median between looks and performance.This motor is going to be in an up coming roadster project.I'm thinking of a "fuel altered" kind of look.It will be a race car that you can drive on the street now and then.I'm on a budget,so I am trying to figure out some way to use as many of the parts that I have all ready,and yet some how make the car not look like a modern race car motor stuffed into a roadster body.Seems to be more challenging than I thought....lol

EVIL

7. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[​IMG]

Here's the 327 for my coupe. The intake is a dual-plane Brodix HV1016.

I eliminated the Brodix name when I polished it with abrasives.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's amazing--that intake has the same runner lay-out as the early Edelbrock C4B! The later C3B and C4B had the high portion of the floor swapped to the other side, which lengthened those short little runners on the drivers side, and shortened the real long runners on the passenger side.
    I haven't put them on a dyno, but just by looking at it, I would think that intake (and the early C4B) would have fat and lean cylinders, due to the huge difference in runner length.
    -Brad

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Littleman would be the one to talk to about this. He's got 6x2 on his SBC and it runs pretty good I'm told...

10. Tony

Tony

IF you want to run a single 4, a nice intake is the Edelbrock Performer RPM.
    It's a proven item that also has the oil fill boss cast into it....
    That can be bored out to install a fill tube making it look like it came from the 60's.
    Done it a few time's now..pretty simple and you get that old look with a nice intake.

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Heres one..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

12. evilone0528

evilone0528

You guys rock.Thanks!

Anyone else got any thing?

EVIL

13. One of my favorites that I ran was the Edelbrock "Scorpion" intake. It was basically a very early Victor jr. There were a few versions available, they had a high RPM band version and a little lower band. The intake is a single plane, medium rise, air gap design with nitrous bosses.

They feature a really cool looking scorpion cast right into the intake, no mistaking it if you find one. They come across Ebay every now and then. I believ they were available in the late 60's

Here is the only good picture I can find:
    http://hotrod.automotive.com/76693/hrds-0807-1955-chevy-gasser/photos1-0.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  14. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

This one is going in a 48 Anglia.
    [​IMG]

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You do beautiful work.

I can't help but think about some old hot rodder finding this intake 50 years from now and cussing the idiot that ground the name off of such a rare intake.:D:D...but then if they can document that Dave from Roadsters.com once owned it...the value goes through the roof.:D

16. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Hey, thanks. That intake was an easy one to sand - way easier than a single-plane.

Here's a true story:

Back in 1992, in the pits at Charlotte Motor Speedway, I spent a pleasant half-hour walking and talking with with Paul Newman. We eventually made our way back to where his two bodyguards had been watching us, so Paul could give me his business card. After one of his bodyguards opened up his briefcase, Paul reached in and pulled out a card. I cracked up all three of them when I deadpanned, "Why don't you sign it first. I'm not really fan of yours, I just thought it might be worth a few bucks after you're dead."

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

18. thebonez

thebonez

where are the guys with the 6x2s we want pics and info on them

19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

How about a good old fashioned Fenton 3x2 set-up. I have'nt seen too many of these floating around.

[​IMG]

20. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Here are some ideas for you. With our Aero Ram intake design we are using with these each of the tuned runners is the same length for equal distrbution.

Attached Files:

21. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

22. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Here's a pic of the six 98's on the dyno.

Attached Files:

23. pontiax

pontiax
    from canada

search for weiand 1984 , this intake is available with a single four or dual fours. I run a single 4 holley 750 on a sbc 350. cool looks and lots of torque.

24. skunx1964

skunx1964

ditto what he said. this thread is from 2 months ago and you prolly found somethin by now. its a 750 on a performer. 355ci, 10.5 to 1 comp, nasty cam, ect...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

i have a pan that looks like that :D

26. Dyno Bob

Dyno Bob
    from MO

has anyone ran the BG 6 carb set up on a 248 dyno jet chassis dyno so we can see a complete fuel curve idle part and full throttle

27. skunx1964

skunx1964

beats 100 bucks from mooneyes, ect....:cool:

28. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

The sbc set up is almost $4,000! No thanks!

29. There have been several good intake shootouts in the past few years. The last version of Weiands tunnel ram
    and the one Edelbrock still makes which they now call
    the Street Ram blow the competition away!, including
    making more torque below 3600 rpm. On a 475-500hp
    355 these tunnel ram were 6-15hp and lb ft better
    on average and us much as 30-40hp and lb ft better
    at peak than the best single 4bbl combo. Even the
    Weiand with the single 4 top is better. On the Edelbrock
    you can still find the single top versions on ebay etc, but their top/plenum was not updated as the Weiand
    and may have to much plenum for a mild/moderate
    build. You can buy a complete 2-4bbl tunnel ram setup
    Weiand or Edelbrock from Summit/Jegs for approx $700.00 or swapmeet it for as little as 300-500.00.
    A late model Holley double pumper will set you back
    500.00+ by itself. If you go to 4's with the carter/edelbrock carbs, get the AVS as it has an adjustable air valve which helps greatly when tuning the primary to secondary transition. Mine is using to
    Q-Jets, remember they came out in '65

30. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

Tunnel RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!