Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 NOMAD --Flip it or Part it Out???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 9, 2008.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

May get a chance to buy a '56 NOMAD, body is ROUGH, rot on the rockers fenders are poor. Fifties stuff is Late Model to me and I'm clueless on the value. Are there some choise home run items that I should look for? Just trying to fund my 1930 Ford Roadster project. Thanks! Bob

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a Nomad, just by virtue its worth fixing. Someone out there wants your one badly enough that parting it out is just a shame.

3. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

What he said...

4. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Either fix or let be for someone else, dont cut it up and part out just to fund a project. There are other ways to raise capitol.

There are guys who have little cash, but all the time in the world to fix a car, no matter how bad... save it for them.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

At worst there must be someone out there like me, who would love to do a Nomad 'camino and really cant justify chopping up a decent one

6. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

is it a dicent price or is it over inflated????

can you make a profit????

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, will be making the call tonight to see if it is affordable.

8. I agree with Doc. A Nomad = '32 Ford to some people. Holy Grail material to the bowtie bunch.

9. belair

belair

save it. period.

10. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

fix it or give someone else the opportunity to. Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty has it right.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is the reason for the post, all my knowledge is in Pre 1935 Fords. Just did a quick walkaround on the car today, side trim is off it, was black & white. Just a rough car to start on IMO, but I'm totaly clueless on number built and what things tolook for rot wise and the going rate is on one.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post the price there asking and you will get an answer. Even if it passes on and you brake even its a good thing.

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

EVERYTHING is being repop'ed for that car except the car itself...and it wouldn't suirprise me to find thatth car is being done soon as well.

14. I would buy it and flip it..............but, if you really wanted to be an asshole you could build a kustom out of it!

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Please flip it rather than part it. As others have said, there's loads of reproduction parts available. It would be a shame to lose another '56 Nomad, as only 7,886 were made to start with.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I saw a 55 Nomad shell with a good bit of rot. Guy wanted $7200.

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

sell as a whole...

18. Special Nomad-only parts to look for:

- eyebrow trim
    - side trim (at least some of it)
    - tailgate bars (chrome strips, especially the middle (shorter) one
    - all tailgate parts, for that matter. I'm not sure which ones, but I know many of them are very different than station wagon parts
    - interior headliner bows
    - some other interior pieces (rear window garnish?)
    - quarter panels (may be repo'd?) the wheel cutout is different
    - roof section (with the lines)

I'm not a complete expert, but most of the stuff listed above is Nomad-only and not reproduced. If the car is complete, and has the above stuff it should be easily flippable.

If it is missing original Nomad parts the price drops for the restoration crowd - your price should drop and the potential buyer crowd is either custom/modified or the cheap willing to track down the missing pieces.

Rockers and floors are available as long as the car is structurally intact. Just expensive to fix if you can't do it yourself.

Frames are available. Ironically, the proliferation of frames with modern components (Art Morrison, Neuman, Jim Meyer, etc.) has greatly opened up options and made original frames from swaps available.

This month's Hemmings has finished Nomads in the $50-100K range, one with bodywork finished and no drivetrain for $25K (probably missing some of the above parts) . There's a '57 basket case for $3500. I have seen non-running, some incomplete, rusty project cars going for $3-8K recently.

--steve

19. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Eyebrow trim, side chrome, and the wheel cutout that you are talking about is 55 only. He is looking at a 56. Since there is no dip in a Nomad 1/4, you should hope that the vertical paint divider is there. All of the sheet metal is being re poped, but I don't think Nomad 1/4's are out yet.

As the others have already said, please flip it. Don't cut it up!! The 56's seem to be the forgotten tri five.

20. I don't know much about a Nomad but have watched as the crew at Kennedy's Hot Rod Shop have worked wonders with this one. It is about ready for paint now.

I do know that there were some '55 Nomad-only parts that were tough to find & some they were thankful that they didn't have to find when they came with the car.

A '56 may be a totally different animal though.... except the ridiculously popluar part.

JH

Attached Files:

21. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

be careful that this is not one of the 4 nomads that came from the NJ auction 2 months ago (1-55, 2-56's, 1-57)those 4 cars were VERY rough, probably unsalvageable, other then for parts above the beltline - there were knowlegable nomad guys there looking and they all passed

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"flip it or part it out"

"car is rough"

you have given really absolutly no information on how to deal with this, no price. no pictures. nothing.

I say leave it for someone who knows better what they are looking at.

23. titus

titus

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you, to everyone for the info. and advice.Called a while ago and the car isn't going anywere, it is inside so it shouldn't get much worse. Long family history, and I'm sure it looks just fine in the owners eyes.

25. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

If it's got a good tailgate sell it to me.........

26. As a general rule -

The thing to remember is your idea of rough can be very different from someone else's idea of rough. Unless it has 4 doors or it breaks into two pieces when you move it, you should probably sell it complete - and if it's a ragtop, even if it breaks in half. Most mass-produced cars share enough parts with other body styles that a comptent rebuilder can take a solid example of another body style, frame-off it, swap over any unique frame pieces, then rebuild the body from the floorpan up using the unique parts from the desirable body style, and repairing or fabricating where needed to complete it. In the case of a Chevy, they reproduce enough parts for most of them you don't even need a donor car.

And when you part out a car, that means you've destroyed it as a car and whatever's left goes to the crusher - there's one less out there. In the case of four-doors you can hardly give away in nice shape, that's not a huge deal. In the case of other cars... there's a good chance someone, somewhere will want it if you make it available to them. The only limiting factor is how popular that year/make is.

At least that's how I feel about the subject. And I've sold enough pieces of crap to guys who've done all that work, it's not like no one does it.

27. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. 2-TONED

2-TONED

nomad part$$$$$ MMmmmmmmm!
    if a nomad is pretty much complete in (pretty much) any condition you dont part it. ---- what youd buy is a 'nomad' once a bunch of parts were sold & it was all torn apart youd just have parts! ----- even if it was nasty rough & you got it running & driving missing a few windows, this or that. you could pull in anywhere & be the hipest dude there man!!

5-6-7 NOMADs -THE 'KINGs' of the wagons!! :D:D

29. I love it! :D

30. I would fix it!