Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Carb/Intake Set-up for a SBC 265?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Jul 8, 2008.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I know the 56/57 265 came with a 2bbl, 4bbl, or dual 4bbl.

I really like the looks of the 3 dueces. Will the motor handle (3) 2GCs?

Specs:
    265 SBC Powerpak (originally a manual transmission motor) w/ TH350
    • 305 Heads
    • Offy 360º Aluminum Intake (single plane)
    • Edelbrock 500cfm Carb w/ manual choke (square bore)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A Nicson 2x2 would rule......

Attached Files:

3. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

This is what I had in mind:

3 Duece Offy Intake or Edelbrock Intake
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AND

Speedway's 3x2 2GC Kit
    [​IMG]

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Cool intake, inappropriate valve covers.

5. Be very cautious with your selection. The 265 intake ports are very, very small. I tried to take the 2 x 4 intake from my 56 vette 265 and install on a healthier 1967 327. The intake ports were so small on the intake that I could literally look in the intake runner of the heads with the intake installed. Likewise, the large intake runner of a newer intake would be much, much larger than the intake ports of the heads. Now obviously if you use later heads there would be no problem, also a very early speedgear may not be an issue either.

Just be cautious on what you buy.

Edit, I just read the part where you are running 305 heads. Do as you please, disregard what I said above.

6. 31modelo

31modelo

That Nicson is the cats ass! I've always wondered if one was made a 2x2 that is. That or a 3bolt 3x2 set up would look right on a 265. The cfm would be a little more of what the 265 would work well with.

7. That Speedway kit is nice. I rebuilt my three carbs with that kit a few months ago and it's running great now. With the tri-power with progressive linkage, you'll be running most of the time off the center carb, so you might be okay with that smaller engine. When you floor it and the end carbs are wide open, it will probably give you more fuel air than it could ever possibly need, but you could probably play with the linkage so they only open half way or something.

Definitely go with the Speedway kit if you go with the three deuces. I wasted tons of time with my tripower setup trying to get it to run right until I rebuilt them all with the Speedway kit. A fuel pressure regulator with a small gauge would be a good idea too since those Rochesters can't seem to handle too much fuel pressure.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Sure it will work. That was the biggest V8 available in 1955 when this model was first brought out. You are a "speed enthusiast" right?:D

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

For mileage, performance and reliability ... you already have the BEST set up IMHO. The only improvement with the 3 twos intalled ... would be LOOKS. :rolleyes:

A dual plane intake would be a improvement IMHO.

10. Clark

Clark

If you look close at the Offy intakes the one on the left is 265. See the oil return on the passenger sideclose to the middle.

I almost sold a trip 2 intake (3 bolt) till I saw the oil return was drilled and tapped. Perfect for the 265 I have.
    Clark

11. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I hope this thread keeps going I just got a complete 56 265 with the glide still attached and I will be starting on a rebuild soon.I was just offered a 3x2 intake for an early SBC but it's one of those "well I don't really know what I want for it"deals ! I can get it bare or with the deuces what is a fair offer either way?A guy approached me the day I got the engine and offered the manifold told me it won't work on the newer motors it's a left over from his younger days and was on his 56 drag car!

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

We run a Fenton 3x2 intake with three factory 'tri power' carbs on my pops 265 powered roadster. It has three 2GC carbs set up progressively, it also has a solid 'Duntov' cam in it with a '32 Ford 3spd gearbox.
    It is slightly over carbed, and as a mater of fact I am in the middle of trying to get the linkage set up a little better. Right now the end carbs start coming in around half throttle and only open about 2/3-3/4 of the way. If the rpms are lower than about 2,500 when you open them, the car does a lean bog/nosedive. But if you get the rpm up first then open them, they do fairly well. I think they are a little more carb than needed for normal street driving but the progressive linnkage allows the motor to run ok on the center carb until more fuel/air is needed.
    It is intresting to see in the pic that Bruce posted that Edelbrock supplied a block off plate for the center carb with the new intake....

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The Rochester carbs were throw aways for years. I recently had to spend over a 100 bucks for 3 cores on Ebay. They are a lot harder to find now a days.