Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another A coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I_be_moose, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Impressive work.

2. Noland

Noland

looks damn awesome so far.

3. Here is the motor mount fabrication

I started by using a different mount to get my bolt pattern and using a punch made the base and proceeded to creat the mount in fiberboard to test the look and fit. My first fit was too wide so I changed the design to be smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then proceeded to cut out the metal using my new toy a Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter. Happy Fathers Day to me!

[​IMG]

Then stuck it together

[​IMG]

Remember templetes are your friend to make sure angles match etc....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and made sure there was enough clearence for the steering box.

[​IMG]

A couple small areas that need final welding and I can pull it out of the jig !!!!!

Tim

4. Finished the center K member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then took the frame out of the chassis jig and put it into the rotissorie to get at all the crevises I could not reach in the jig. Next will come the cosmetic grinding. As soon as I get the brackets welded to the rear housing I can then make the frame a roller and start on the body .

[​IMG]

Tim

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice fabrication job cool motor mounts

6. Thanks Capt.

Tim

7. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

great looking frame...and i liked the motor mts too...

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Tim, I like your creativity and fabrication ...your doing a great job!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME build! Great fab work! I look forward to seeing more on this build! Keep the pics comin'!

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Great job there Tim!!! I've been high centered with my tranny mount and not quite sure what to do with it. I bought a unit from some 800 place (can't remember), it's a good unit but no way to drop it down in case of a tranny change. You've answered that question for me in a simple way. Thanks for the ideas and instruction. Keep it up and teach me some more, por favor?

11. Thanks for the kind words. This build is as much about the learning as the finished project. Although I am looking forward to the first drive!

12. Glad to be of help. I learned from others so the step by step in this thread is a way to "pay it forward"

Tim

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

man, I'm really excited watching this build! inspiring to say the least! now hurry up and get it done please!! ;)

14. It is officially a roller!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now on to the body work!
    Tim

15. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

wow, that looks great.

congrats.

great fab work

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

hells ya!!!!! lookin good bro!!! :cool:
    love them wheels!!!:D

17. blackout

blackout

There was a lot of work in those sublte frame mods. It looks so good, but it will be hard for guys to figure out why and how it fits so well. Real attention to detail.

18. Thanks

Tim

19. Best lookin wheels I could find!!!:cool:

Tim

20. Thank You! It is always the little things people do that set a car apart. I call them the head scratchers! Have a few more "Subtle" things planed for it............

21. Paint them black,and most people wouldn't figure it out.

"Looks like those rare Military Jumbo Divco wheels,just like that guy on TV.":rolleyes:

----------------

Nice stuff as always Moose,will it be running for Billetproof ?

22. Flat black to fool the Black Ops guys ;)

I think it would be a strech to make Billetproof but you never know....I do plan to try for late next year though.

L8R
    Tim

23. Nice stance.
    Car looks low, but looks to have reasonable ground clearance and the car looks like it will be usable for every day use if you so choose.

The grille shell looks to be stock height.
    That will make for an uphill flow to the cowl/hood design line.

I found that cutting 2" off the bottom of my 31's grille shell made the hood line look a lot better.
    No welding or sectioning required, plus the hood going down between the frame rails adds to the allusion of lowness, but the lower 'nose' of the grille shell is not so low it will create problems or drag on steep driveways.

I've got some before and after pics of the hood line if you wish.

The car is looking great and the interesting part is the overall design flows a little better than a lot of A coupes . . . which can be boxy in highboy mode if left stock.

Not knocking anybody elses car here, just pointing out that Moose's subtle changes and great stance makes it....

24. Thanks for the kind words.

I should have at least 7" at the lowest point when fully at ride height.

The shell is currently at stock height but that will change before it is finished. I just stuck in on to get a feel for the overall flow. I need to finalize the body to frame mounting to get the ammount to lower the shell. The hood that is on there is from my buddy's 32 so it will be different as well. Needs the correct body lines for the A.

Lots of time spent staring to figure out what needed moved to where and what needed to be left alone! Still have a couple tricks I have planned to further improve the look and flow with-out being overtly obvious......

Tim

25. I should have at least 7" at the lowest point when fully at ride height.

My 32 isn't low at all, but the collector on one side is the lowest point at 5 1/2" (6" on the other side) and no dragging on speed bumps or steep driveways.
    Engine and trans pan are 6" off the ground, no dragging there either.

The shell is currently at stock height but that will change before it is finished. I just stuck in on to get a feel for the overall flow. I need to finalize the body to frame mounting to get the ammount to lower the shell. The hood that is on there is from my buddy's 32 so it will be different as well. Needs the correct body lines for the A.

I originally put the 31 on 32 rails roadster together with a 1" chopped radiator sitting as low as possible.
    Still wasn't low enough and I ended up with an uphill hood line.
    2" seems to be about right.
    Nice part about a 2" drop is that you only have to trim the sides as noted in the above post.
    No sectioning etc.

Lots of time spent staring to figure out what needed moved to where and what needed to be left alone! Still have a couple tricks I have planned to further improve the look and flow with-out being overtly obvious......

A lot of the small tricks - if not most - are missed by many and they don't realize what was done to get the car looking and sitting a certain way.

I have a comfy 'pondering' chair, but lately have been sitting in the car cuz it's even more comfortable.

You've probably seen my 31 with the bobbed white painted rear fenders.
    It added a lot of visual bulkiness.
    A couple weeks back I rattle canned them in red oxide primer and they look quite a bit smaller.
    It's surprising how well the overall look of the car improves and gets pulled together when it's all one color.

No pics yet, in the middle of a Gennie Shifter E-brake install.
    The handles in - which turned out to be a bit of a struggle, I'll make a post on that later on.
    It's installed a little differently than most since I'm very ergonomics oriented.
    Stringing cables etc. and the rear wheels are off so when they go on I'll shoot some pics and make a separate post.

26. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Great tech,thanks

27. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Tim,I really like the profile and stance.You've accomplished alot since your first post.Keep up the good work...... another Tim

28. Nope:(:(

I got hurt at work so have to hold off for a bit....I hope to get back to it next week. I will post updates as I go

Tim

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm glad to have caught this thread at this point. Great work. I'll be following, for sure.