Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two kids on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. With speed week coming up next month, I thought this might be appropriate. In 1969 my brother and I got a hair up our butts, and decided to see how fast we could make his old Honda Super 90 run. The engine was an OHC 89cc 4 stroke. I had the barrel bored out to 99.8cc, right at the top of the 100cc class. I had our Dad's old buddy, Kenny Harmon grind a "Las Vegas" cam, pulled the stock mag, and converted the ignition to a total loss battery deal. Looking at the AMA record book, the 100cc fuel class records looked ripe for picking. I dug out an old 3/4" Amal carb that Dad had converted to floatless operation for my 1/4 midget (another story). We decided the stock Honda pressed frame wouldn't do, so I welded up a frame out of 3/4" OD .035 chromoly tube. Welded up a short fork, and had Buchanan lace up a pair of 16" Akront alloy "record" wheels. We fitted the highest gear sprokets we could find, and headed for Bonneville. We entered the AA 100, and APSA 100 classes, which are 100cc modified frame, and 100cc partial streamlined. Our first run Jack ran about 7 mph over the AA record. Next morning he made a two way average of just under 85mph for a new AA100 record. That afternoon, we bolted on the little fairing we had cobbeled up, and Jack qualified for the APSA 100 record. Next morning, netted a two way average just under 88mph. He ran down at over 93mph, but a head wind killed it on the return run. Don't ever think Honda motors aren't tough. The nitro load was a killer 88% on almost 15:1 compression! We put the bike in the back of my Ranchero, watched for a couple of days, and headed home with two AMA record certs signed by Earl Flanders, and J. Otto Crocker. The moral: If a couple of 20, and 24 year old kids can have fun on the salt, and grab a couple of records, anyone can!!

Attached Files:

2. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Very cool! Great story, thanks for sharing it and the pics. :)

3. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Way cool pics and story. Thanks for sharing!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Except for now they would be running on a 104.395 record in APS/F. Looks like 101.311 in M/F. Not really that much more in 40 years. You guys did good.

5. great story and pics .. yall done great!

6. Well, the frame and fork is hanging in the back of the shop, and the engine is under my brother's work bench. If I got some new wheels, and found a 17 tooth sprocket that fit the little Honda................:)

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  7. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I guess your post would have been more appropriate for the jockey journal? but its the best thing i read on the HAMB today. Thanks for sharing.

8. cool story. like the pics too. got anymore?

9. Well, I've had an offer of some hubs for the restoration, so it looks like the Lowe Brothers record bike is going to get a full restoration. I moved a load of stuff in the storage shed at the shop, and drug these pieces out from where they have rested for the last 40 years. Not sure what we are going to do with it when it's done, but it will be fun playing with it again. On the last run in '69 a frame tube cracked. I'll weld it up, then I'm thinking sand blast powder coat. Yep, this is going to be fun. :D

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a cool story! 93mph sure is moving for a little Honda 90 (99cc) engine! :)

Should be fun getting that thing back together...

[​IMG]

Malcolm

11. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

great story :)

12. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

13. Crankhole

Crankhole

Take it back to the salt.:)

14. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Next MONTH!? I thought it was in August.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

17. Very cool Dean.

18. pssst...read the date on the original post...

19. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

That was something your brother and you will remember for the rest of your lives.What a great venture for two young men to set out on.Thats the kind of thing that makes men out of boys.I wish more 20 something year olds were interested in things like this instead on playing games on there tv or the internet .
    GREAT STORY! Thanks for sharing it...

20. I think it would run over 100 with enough gear, but I'm not sure my brother could wrap his 60 year old body around the bike any more. :eek:

21. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

:eek: Thanks for posting. I have dreamed for years about running on the salt, but like most don't think I could.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You could always have some crazy younger guy, like myself ;), take it for a run down the course... just saying :D

23. Hell Dean, just wrap him to it with 200MPH tape, and he'll have a hundred mile safety cushion.

24. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

The Honda S-90 motor was designed by the same guy who did Honda's GP motors. A stock S-90 would do close to 60! It caught a lot of mothers off guard!
    Cool story. I found a supercharged S-90 once that had been run on the flats.It didn't run that good though.

25. 56truk

56truk
    from piqua,ohio

Love the pics! To me the pics would be more memerable than the record.

26. Yes, I just wish I would have taken a lot more. But,at 24, we aren't too concerned with capturing memories. If my father in law hadn't given me an old worn out Polaroid camera, I woudn't even have the few I've got. :(

27. Yes, the S 90 was a terrific engine. The Honda R&D guys were really on their game then. We found a megaphone from a factory 125 road racer that really helped the top end RPMs. When we tore up the clutch playing at LIONS, Ed Kretz got us a works CR 125 clutch that was bullit proof.

Late in '69 I had a little blower I was trying to adapt to the S 90, but we went a different direction with the streamliner.

28. bct

bct

you just made my day..

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cool!! Awesome story. Thanks, Dean!