Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad Gave me his old Race Car!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycarr, Jul 1, 2008.

1. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

My dad broke his collarbone and doesnt want to race anymore so he told me to come get his 61 biscayne. motor has about 1000 miles on it but some sorry bastard stold the heads,intake/carb. :mad: Its got a 4 speed /gears any ways I have no idea what im gonna do with it so far but it looks kinda cool.

Attached Files:

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Take care of it.... find the parts to get it running again,....make it street legal....then drive it to your Dad house one day, pick him and take him for a nice drive.
    From a Dad that lost his oldest son recently, I would give anything to have that happen......

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, the price is right. Ya got nothing to lose. Could be a cool little project.

4. ratster

ratster

yeah me too :(

5. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

How luck to have a cool car given to you!

6. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

And when your done driving you can shoot some hoops...

7. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Gettin it running with Dad is a great way to build memories, my dad died too young for us to do that.

Don't miss this opportunity!

BTW- Love the car! (hate the hood scoop)

8. Cool looking car......now tell us, what's the history on it? Dad's cars are always best to get!

9. Flat_Broke

Flat_Broke

lol, you beat me to it!

10. AD

AD

do the right thing and keep it,, i think those biscaynes are fukin ridiculously cool!

11. Tony

Tony

Absolutely keep it!!
    IF my dad gave me any one of his old car's ( if he still had them that is) it'd be with me til i croaked..
    That 61's cool..Has it's battle scar's and i'm sure some history..
    Keep it going and enjoy every minute of it..
    And taking dad for a ride is a MUST! :D

Best of luck with it and congrats!

Tony

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

My dad had one of these just out of high school circa (`49,`50,`51 ?). Had to give it up when he joined the Navy. His younger brother kept it for a couple years and as I understand it, the old Coupe was a pretty stout competitior on the "Bloomingdale Flats" one of the few straight roads in the Adirondak mountains. Anyway that car got sold. Dad always said his black `41 Ford Business Coupe was the sportiest, best handling, and all around nicest car he owned, (and he owned many!). It was his favorite.

Flash forward to just a few years ago. Mom passed in 2001, Dad was pretty rough. I stumbled upon this solid great running black `41 Business Coupe. I actually missed the car because someone paid a healthy deposit just before I saw the car. Long story short 3 months later the car came back to me, like divine intervention or something. I was able to purchase it. Never said a word to Dad. One Saturday evening as we were headed out to dinner (we ate together just about every Saturday night after Mom died) I pulled up in this little beauty. You should have seen the look on my Father's face when he recognized who it was. It was like he was checking to see if his eyes were Ok. Sure enough there I am in his driveway, Flathead purring calling out c'mon dad "the bus is leaving!" (one of his favorite sayings). We got to go out a few more times in the little Ford before Dad got real sick. Each time I heard more cool stories about his auto adventures in the younger days.

Turns out Dad was right on about the `41's. They are very sporty in their driving characteristics. They're a bit wider than the `40' and earlier Fords, they have a much stronger frame with softer springs. Naw the bodies may not be as sexy as the `40's but behind the wheel it's a whole different story IMO. In fact as I write this I just put the old girl up. Wife and I did a Tues evening blast to Cracker Barrel. Wife kept telling me to slow down! Speedo's broke and that little car just loves to go..........

[​IMG]

Build that Biscayne and go for it!

13. fix it , drive the snot out of it , keep it forever and pass it down to your own lil gearhead..

14. belair

belair

What's the story on that front bumper, Henry? Never seen one done like that.

15. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

The story is I'm an idiot. I spazzed out one day and let the car lurch forward on high idle. The front bumper was a foot from an engine stand with a built Flathead mounted and a sturdy workbench. You know the story, I kinked the bumper, the grille guard broke the grille and I even have a couple spots of drywall to fix. No damage to the Flathead engine on the stand thank God. Dammit! it's painful just to type this!

Anyways the bumper is mega bucks. Can't find a good center grille. I made the best of it and chopped out the kinked center section of the bumper just to keep going till I can swing a new one.

BTW anyone know where I can find a decent cast center grille???

16. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

keep it and fix it up, sorry to hear bout your dad

need to get parts and get it street legal again

17. I sent a message to you, I've located a front clip for your car closeby.
    Dan

18. banjorear

banjorear

I was going to mention that. That's funny!

19. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

What motor is in it?

20. From the looks of the pics, it looks like your dad broke his collarbone a LONG time ago:D

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'd try to get if back to its former "dad" history as possible (with your own twist on things...) and turn pop into the crew chief....

22. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

get a 409 stroker in there!

23. Cataldo

Cataldo

Very cool. My vote lies with gettin' her to where your dad wanted it/or had it and clean it up and keep it going. I am against passing it aside.

24. oldsman71

oldsman71

cool build it with dad!!!

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

26. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Man I want one of those.

27. vicksrods

vicksrods

why post on here like you are so overwhelmed that your dad gave you his old race car then turn around and put it on ebay? if my dad gave me his old race car i sure as hell wouldnt put it up on ebay to make a quick buck on it. I gues im just to sentimental when it comes to cars and dads.

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

apparently, this one can be had pretty cheap....so much for the family history, though.

seriously. 2 grand and it's an official go fast machine again. a little ambition, some elbow grease, and a gallon or two of your favorite flavor of paint, and You're in a nice cruiser.

selling it would be ...weak.

29. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Fix it up dude!! Selling it would be f#&king chump of you. If I gave my kid my hotrod and he turned around and sold it on ebay, I would beat him like a redheaded step child.