Register now to get rid of these ads!

i owe the state double what i paid in taxes??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kraka138, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kraka138

kraka138

let give you some backstory, in september last year i bought a fifty chrysler (off the auction site that shall not be named) for a very resonable $850

And just this morning i went to pickup my mail at the post office and i had a letter from IDOR (illinois dept of revenue) saying i owed them over 1500 in taxes for said chrysler,

now im not sure of what the exact tax percentage is, but over 200% doesnt seem right, i did pay taxes for it when i signed the title over, like any other vehicle, a very reasonable 25 bucks,

now i wasnt able to call them today, im at work, but they will have a very warm welcome in the morning when i call,

ive never heard of anything like this and im kinda trying to see if anyone else has had any problems with their own stat taxing the fuck out of the piles theyve picked up, and how youve resolved them

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

HOSE JOB!!!

The only thing that's consistent, Death and Taxes!

3. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

They're taxing by blue book collector value. I have ran into that recently on a truck I sold that went to Kentucky. He had to physically prove what he bought the truck for originally. He had to have me fill out a form stating sale date, price vehicle condition etc, then I had to have it notorized. B/S if you ask me.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Here in WV if you buy a car from out of state you better have a notarized bill of sale. For anything you buy for less than book value, you better have a notarized bill of sale.

Otherwise you are paying taxes on the book value, not what you paid for it. I do not know if this has anything to do with your situation or not.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

6. chevtrux

chevtrux

ya the state of il is at it again i got one too. you need to send them a bill of sale for the price you paid or a appraisel from a dealer for fair market value. a word of advice in il you need to have the dmv attach a copie of the bill of sale to the title work when you transfer it or you will get this bullshit letter.

7. kraka138

kraka138

i see im not the only one with this tax problem

8. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Wow, remind me not to move to Il. Sounds like a total butt f&ck!

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

Always Get A Notorized Bill Of Sale, Wont Buy The Car If The Seller Complians. The Notorized Bill Of Sale Makes Title Dept Isuues Go Easy

10. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Do a search. There was a long post about this awhile back. Happened to my dad too. Just get a bill of sale and send a copy to the state. Should not be a problem.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Yeah,I am getting sick IL and all of their BS....it is really getting out of hand.

I titled 3 cars in my name this year,and I am now under investigation by the Secretary of State Police for running a car dealer!!!! They want to know why I need 3 vehicles!

12. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Yeah, here if it's under $1000, they go by bluebook.
    I guess they got sick of everybody selling cars for "$100", haha.

Or maybe it's just an error on their part.

13. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

I had this problem a few years back, the car was a 4dr in sad shape and they wanted me to pay taxes on the value of a perfect 2dr, I had the car on a trailer in the parking lot and finally convinced them to go out and look at it, they were shocked to say the least, I had to fill out a form listing the cost to restore the car to original condition and I paid the flat rate tax, never heard anything else about it. If you can't get a bill of sale then just bring the car down to them and let them have a look

14. Black Magic

Black Magic

Tn is the same way Blue book and mince 25% deprecation and you pay tax on the rest. It's robbery My T coupe was like $585.00 new and probably has had thousands of dollars paid in tax in its life.

15. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I have heard a lot of this crap lately. Good thing they have not asked me why I need over five+ insured and plated. Bunch of bastards........

16. Dad

Dad
    from Lena Ill

Some few years ago the good ole state of Illinois got in touch with me because I bought and transferred license plates 3 times. They said I could only transfer plates 3 times in 1 year or I would be required to get dealer license. So the next car I bought I just through the plates away and bought a new set. Never heard anything back.

17. bluestang67

bluestang67

I thought the law was on the age not value in illinois . I just titled and plated #5 for my work driver . Started wondering about the dealer crap also . 2 more not titled in my name yet may wait for them for sure .

18. Illinois has been a "blue state" for years now.
    I don't know why the voters keep voting for more of this, but they keep on voting for it. Not long ago, people around here voted to raise our own taxes again.
    It boggles the mind but people keep voting for more and more of this.

19. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

In Minnesota they solved the problem on project/collector cars.
    You pay $90 sales tax if you pain $1.00 or 1,000,000 for said project. there is no BS ing them on what you paid. Sucks for guys like me that buy reasonable project cars.

jim h

20. Discussing the intelligence of IL voters - present company excepted - would be a long and wildly O/T thread. It does amaze me though sometimes what lengths these states go to, to collect taxes... and here I am in megataxed New York and I can get a registration on a '72-older car with a handful of signatures and a set of insurance cards and I don't even need anything notarized - and I've claimed to have paid as little as a dollar for a car (actually that one was free, it was just easier to get a reciept than the gift form) and paid the grand sum of 7 cents in tax on it.

Of course they did raise the price to get a title from $10 to $50 a while back, so I haven't rushed to put anything new in my name, but I guess they have to get us somehow. On the registration only cars that fee doesn't apply -

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

BE AFRAID! One of those tax happy Illinois politicans is running for President.:mad:

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in Washington state but I've bought 5 different vehicles off Ebay and each time I printed out the Ebay page that showed me as the winning bidder as well as the email showing the same. I present that to the license office along with the title and never have had an issue with buying a car for a low price.

Washington state will come and tell you you need a dealers license if you "sell" three cars that were in your name in a years time. They have been doing that since at least the mid 60's that I know of. Never heard of any issues on how many vehicles you buy in a year though.

I think we have become victims of our own slickness though. We got away with the "I paid 200" for it for a long time and now it is catching up with us unless we have proper documentation such as a receipt from an online auction site or a proper receipt.

The high prices paid or asked on Barret Jackson and other places do make the unknowing public think that "all" old cars are "classics" (hate that word) and are worth a small fortune.

My first experience with "assessed taxes on older vehicles" was in 1977 when I moved from Texas to Washington with the 48 and the gal at the license office said that the state considered any pickup that ran and drove to be worth 400 for tax purposes at that time. Looking out the window of her office at the truck she did drop the tonnage to 1/4 ton as she said "you won't be hauling anything in that little truck anyhow". That has saved me some bucks every year since.

23. KY Boy

KY Boy

O/T but dang thats funny.

I think KY now goes by book value because EVERYONE had an affidavit stating they paid $100. I can buy a 64 falcon right nw for about $400...probably more than that in taxes to transfer the title. We can thank Barret Jackson and EBAY for these over inflated book value issues, IMO.

24. The only time you have a problem is when you drive the vehicle. Sometimes its cheaper to take the ticket than it is to pay the vehicle fees.You can always do commuity service in lieu of paying the fine. Greedy sockcuckers....

25. BOHICA

BOHICA

Was this less than 5 years ago? When I bought my '56 p/u, they only charged me tax on the amount that was written on the title.

26. Black Magic

Black Magic

Yes, it was about 3 month ago I had the price of the car on the title and the lady looked it up and said we go by the book now and slammed it to me.

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're a victim of urban legend (or we are) with that statement. Any state has no authority to limit the amount of vehicles you can own. As soon as they're titled in a person's name, tax paid, it's private property. There may be the occaisional dip-fuck that thinks they're an authority figure due to the job they have but the law is the law. Dealers "assign" titles, they don't transfer, even from dealer to dealer, the title only transfers to the next end-user. I can't believe how long the "you're a dealer" legend lives. Pure bullshit. There's not enough bandwidth to explain how I know. Also, consider how many high-dollar multi-car collections there are. One of our friends here has 68 cars...he's not nor has he ever been a dealer and gets ZERO trouble from MI Sec of State on his new purchases.

28. Mopar34

Mopar34

Years ago I bought a car off of my wife's grandmother for a reasonable sum of money considering the car was in disrepair from sitting for 2 years. When I went to register with the State DOT, they compared their Blue Book value to my certified sales receipt and wanted to increase the value (and taxes). To avoid paying the extra bucks I would have had to take the receipt and return to Florida (from Pennsylvania) to have it notarized and then bring it back to the DOT. Needless to say it wasn't worth it for me so I just paid the extra taxes.

But it is a rip off when they won't take a legitimate sales receipt for the actual purchases price. Anyway they can get more money out of you is the way they always go.:mad:

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell did that have to do with inflated taxes on old cars?

30. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Urban legend my ass....you move to IL and see how much of an "urban legend" it is.