Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you ever take the long way home...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chebby belair, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

and then just keep going?

There is something about catching up with your buddies, gear whine and the glasspack goodness of rapping early iron that can't be beat.

Times like that I don't give a fuck about gas prices, huecho en china, or anything else.

I hate to think how much I'd be paying to shrinks if I didn't have an old car...

2. You hit the nail on the head my good friend.
    I always take the long way home, always. I love the feeling of driving an old car and think of all the places it has been without me.
    It is truely satisfying!

BloodyKnuckles

3. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

I did last night. After returning from Joisey to pick up some parts for my daughter's car I took wifeypoo and both daughter's out to dinner.

We took the long way back home, cruising to the all request oldie's station and ended up putting a hundred miles on the car before we got back home :)

Al in CT

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

every chance I get my friend, every chance I get.Screw gas prices cause they don't matter when it comes to your peace of mind. Kickin in both 4 barrels and bangin gears or just by passing home cause you're not ready to go there yet can be all that matters to your sanity and happiness.What the hell? that's why we do what we do

5. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

yes i do, dont have my shoebox on the road yet but i am always looking for that old car sitting behind someones barn

6. After the Anti-donut breakfast,I usually drive up the coast to San Pedro and over the Vincent Thomas bridge,along the water towards Pacific Palacedes,then turn around and take PCU back to the 55frwy and back home. Never gets old...

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The other day, I hopped in my T after work to just clear my head. 3 hours later, I rolled her in. Rolling in a car you built, is the best damn therapy on the planet. Gas prices be damned.

8. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Is there any other way? Just got dual exhaust on the ol' Stude Tuesday and have run $100 worth of gas through it just driving listening to the "stereo". :cool: I didn't go that far howeverr, between the fuel pump and carb seepage I think I sent a lot of unburned gas into the atmosphere so I pulled the carb tonight to rebuild it and discovered the metering rods were FUBAR, ever tried finding correct metering rods for a Studebaker WCFB? I said "Screw it" and ordered a new 500cfm Edelbrock Performer. Maybe one day I'll stumble across a collection of WCFB metering rods and jets and put it back together but in the meantime I want to drive my car with having gas dribbling all over the engine. Hey, it looks like an AFB, just shinier........ Good time to put on the new fuel pump too.

9. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

I know when I drive my Stude to work on the way home that night I think to myself " Who else in the world is driving home in a 47 studebaker truck?" Probably nobody.

10. When I go out to work on the cars, I usually take a longer way home - I can pretty much parallell the interstate on 2-lanes the whole way there. I realy enjoy just driving on a back road on a nice day, or night, with the radio on, especially if the road is scenic and the traffic is light. I miss driving my '60 Pontiac, though - that was a car I could have driven clear across the country.

11. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

That is exactly true!

12. Used to go out in the garage working on the car to get out of my head. Now that its done it continues to provide therapy while clicking off miles.

Gas is still cheaper than psychotherapy (and less than building the car in the first place!)

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I try as much as possible to take the long way home, scenic route through the countryside and to stop and realize there's an entire canvas lined with stars and deep blue sky above me.

Saying hello, goodbye, thank you and please. Yes, sir, no sir, yes maam, and no maam. I take the time to wave back at the fella who was kind enough to let me pull out in front of him, and pass it on when I can to others when they need a break.
    I make sure I wave to the passers by when I'm in the garage, or in the back yard,...and tell my wife I love her every chance I get for no particular reason.

Life is,....and we're here to enjoy...

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Not latley...

Seems of late I've been stuck in the fast lane with no exit in sight....shit's getting old...Leave request after leave request denied (I'm a police officer) Fuckers killin each other left and right (not that that bothers me per-say but it does get old) and looking forward to a 5 day weekend to get stuff done and have to work every day of it to go to court...I decided the other day...this work cycle, Salty's feeling sick...my crystal ball told me so....I dont give a shit if I gotta go to the doc and pay my stupid ass co-pay to get a "dr's" note...I need a mental health day or four...

Sigh....

I envy you all...tip one back for me...

Sorry for the rant

15. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

drivin my pickup never gets old to me, the new shit is just boring

i love hearing the slam of the steel doors and rattling of the suspension, not to mention the sound of the exhaust as i make my way around the streets and corners while singin along with social distortion

16. 2002p51

2002p51

17. I live 6 miles from work, when I take the Triumph, it can take me 2 hours & a tank of gas to get home....

18. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Always...
    A nice two laner and the fastest you can go is 45-55 mph is my favorite. Going home or driving cross country, I always take the long way just so I can take my time and enjoy myself

19. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

Sure do. Windows down, no radio, no one else in the car. Just me and the car hearing all of the wonderful sounds you don't hear in new cars.

20. almost every chance i get , there are a lot of cool backroads down here ..

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

AMEN.......

Got the Mitral Valve in my heart repaired in January and every day is a beautiful bonus.

Hearing the 440 breathe puts a big smile on my face.:D

We are the otters of the universe, put here to play and savor every moment.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The onw of the greatest drivws I ever had, was driving all night across North Dakota.A clear sky with Full moon shining above and a Line of thunder storms to the south with a display of lightning across the southern plains. All whill listening to Bonnie Raitt playing on the CD player. Every one else was sleeping in the camper while I drove and missed the whole show.
    Oh yea the rest of the vacation in Montana and Wyoming was great too.

23. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

24. Well said!

It must be the fact I was born, raised and lived in Pittsburgh for many years that your post is exactly what I live by everyday. It was something that was just "right". It's just what you did. I love the way I grew up. Being respectful, curtious and generous has allowed myself to be respected and for people to be curtious and generous to me. It's a nice feeling. It has also given me the appreciation of the finer things such as taking the long way home and enjoying every minute of it.

BloodyKnuckles

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Cool cars make the constant errand-running for home improvement not so bad.

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Best feeling in the world. I love driving the roads, when you can really SENSE them. They're close to you and it feels like it. You feel every bump, you may be hot or cold or wet, and there's a good chance you smell like exhaust when you get where you're going. Aint' it great?

Bob.. don't take this personal.. but I hate you. Someone get me a good job in SoCal PLEASE.

27. Very well said...I agree on all points...I grew up in a small town wherein everyone knew one another and today, when my wife asks my why do I wave to passer-bys even if their strangers and I always reply " Honey, SOMEONE has to start creating a sense of community around here"

As for taking the long way home, I take the scenic route home 3 days out of 5 and I enjoy trying to find more interesting ways to get from point A to point B no matter where I'm going.

When I lived in SoCal, several times a month I would crack open a map and look for 'the squiggly roads' on the map and drive them no matter where they went...sometimes I would spend the whole weekend just learning my new home state...beyond the obvious PCH, my favorite roads were Highway 49, Highway58, Highway 166, Highway 33, Highway 36, and of course Angeles Crest Highway....Oh, I miss it so!!

28. Black Magic

Black Magic

I know if I did not have my T coupe I would go crazy. It seems like when I am driving nothing in the world matters but right now. the loud pips the smell of the exhaust, I don't think I could be the man, husband or father that I am with out my old car.

29. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Right On Brother!!!

30. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I've always pined for the old days,...like the 30s and 40s. I grew up around so many older folks from that era, whenever i find that one has passed, it kind of leaves a hole in my heart and soul, like a good friend died,...I have a lot in common with them due to the way I was raised, my ideals, likes, dislikes, etc. The world may not be as I'd like it to be, but I make it the world in which I want to live in, either by living as if its 1940-something, or sticking true to being an idealistic fellow as best I can.

Some of you fellas might enjoy this site....

www.earlyera.com

Its a website for those who are into living like its 1939 and a living history group I started as an offshoot from the car club I belong to. I've been involved in WWI and WWII reenactment and living history for many years now,....and our house is an old house from 1910,...which we made so that you feel like you're back in the 1940s when you visit. Heck we just did up a little old WWII-era "Victory Garden" in the back yard! Complete with a "V" on the gate.

Lastly, thanks guys for all the kind words regarding what I had written. I feel that to much of our world has forgotten itself,....