Register now to get rid of these ads!

KCTA -[Kansas City timing Assc.]

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Ray Erickson, Nov 11, 2007.

?
  1. give short opinion

33.3%
  2. or yes or no

66.7%
  1. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here------ A bit of nostalgia from the past-!952" HOT ROD " magazine- Featuring DICK FLINT'S 29 "A"roadster--Check it out----------- This cool grille & hood treatment is great

Attached Files:

2. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here---I found this 1955 issue of "HOT ROD" featuring CHUCK PORTERS Ford pickup--Chopped,channeled.& sectioned --TOO COOL!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

3. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here--I found this pic of Bob Sullivan At Edna,Kansas-- This is where our Club -"THE KCTA" HELD DRAGS AT--- EDNA ,KANSAS--- in 1954--"Sully " [as we called him]was running his "Olds powered" Deuce roadster--He was a member of the "Dragsters club"--THIS IS NOT A VERY GOOD PICTURE BUT IT IS STILL COOL A PIC. They also helped us with the drags- We had guys from Topeka,Ks. Do our clocking for us.. We held an"" NHRA 4 state regional "Meet there--as well as our regular drags..--------This article was in the May 1954 issue of HOT ROD magazine

Attached Files:

• 56.jpg
      56.jpg
      File size:
      56 KB
      Views:
    • words.jpg
      words.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here--Here is a rear view pic of "My Chopped 1952 Ford coupe-"WHISTLE BAIT" As I built it -- the DARK COLOR WAS 1954 OLD'S BLUE TURQUOISE--

Attached Files:

5. SHRUM

SHRUM

6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Keep 'em coming, Ray.

7. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

ooooo

8. the machine

the machine

9. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson here----I just remembered a short story from the early 1950's--I actually cannot remember the exact year,It was about 1950, maybe 51--There was a favorite "Drive-in"Where A lot of us kids went on Friday & Saturdays nights---The name of the place was"NUWAY" --We would go there with our girlfriend ,if we had one--Have Burger' etc....But especially to look at other guys cars to see what Modifications they had made during the week--Dechroming ,hopping up ,whatever----WELL ,at that time in the history of hot rodding evolution" LOUD "dualpipes were very big--Split manifolds, Blocked heat riser's to make pipes really rack--Porter & Smittys were really popular--AND The loud pipes were driving -Normal people-Crazy,---- People were up in arms for the police to do something---We had a POLICE CHIEF "JOHNSON" of the KANSAS CITY ,Mo. Poilce force. Issued a statement on all local radio stations That starting FRIDAY they would be giving tickets for loud pipes--They did a lot more than that=--- It was about 10:30, late evening------I was riding with a buddy on His Harley[With a FISHTAIL straight pipe & as we approached" Nuway Drivein" We saw all these blinking red lights--Police cars & tow trucks ---"If YOU HAD 2 PIPES ON YOUR CAR THEY WERE ARRESTING you & TOWING AND IMPOUNDING your CAR....We parked his Harley ..Down the block & walked down to NuWay--It didn't matter if your pipes were loud or not--It would require $50.00 bail or spend the night in jail--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well , there was a guy there that was very well off $$$ wise--He was driving a customized "Chevie convertible" He went bail for everyone arrested--The next day I poked a bunch of holes in beer cans & stuffed them with steel wool & hammered them in my chrome tips on my 49 Ford coupe, and drove that way for awhile till things cooled down-- Everyone kind of cooled it for awhile-- End of story

raven likes this.
  10. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Ray here- I have entered this picture in full before- but,I am splitting it up to show better pic of A FEW OF the club members cars--"These guys were original" KCTA 'club members & 'Cranktwisters" when we picked a new name--------------the ist pic is Wayne Carters 34 sedan & Joe Millers A roadster--It was real fast-He could usually beat my 34---------------------------2nd pic is Walt cox [Olds powered ] 32 coupe == AN ANICDOTE ON WALTS COUPE == He had pulled up to THE STARTING LINE FOR A CLASS ELIMINATION, His engine" backfired Thru his carburetors & started a fire ,,,well an official [a young guy] Grabbed a "powder' fire extinguisher And proceeded to fill up the carbs even after the fire was out --Walt had take the engine pretty much apart to clean out all the powder- HE WASN'T VERY HAPPY ABOUT THAT!!!"Mike Mauers channeled 32---------------------------------------------3rd pic is 34 cabriolet [idon't remember whose]and my 34{stripped down for drags only,Even no radiator}----------------------------- 4th pic is Russ Taylor[A Braniff airline Pilot] with his flathead powered & sectioned height & shortened also-NOTE -RUSS WAS TURNING OVER 100 MPH EVERY RUN WITH THE SAME SIZE FLATHEAD AS MINE- I ALWAYS CLOCKED 90 MPH-both 275 cubes--And the custom was my 52 Ford coupe "WhistleBait"--------------This picture was taken in 1956 ain the pit area at the "KCTA drag strip on Front street here in K.C.,Mo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  11. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

12. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

What happened to Ray Ericksons 52 Ford-"WhistleBait"

13. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Radical Ray here--Here is A couple of pic's of --"Tim Ryan" [NEWBIE]"s----41 Lincoln--I am putting them here , Just in case he may not want to put them on his thread----I think he is planning on SELLING it......It has A LATE MODEL Merc. flathead-in it.***********This car is in AMAZINGLY GOOD condtion----------------------------Tim is a 'Hot Rodding "Buddy of mine from KCTA drag strip days in the mid 50's here in Kansas City .Mo. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here is "Tim Ryans "32 Deuce coupe back in 1956--

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. Yeah, what did happen to Ray Erickson's 52? Are whereabouts known? Thanks Ray.

15. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Here are some pic's fromThe KCTA strip in 1956--The club was "The Gear Grinders" A club of young guys-- This was a club project--- It was featured in "Rod Builder & Customizer " Magazine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  16. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

oooo

17. 64afx

64afx

I'm new on here so forgive me for being a virgin. Just wanted to say that my father used to race at the old KCTA with a then "new" '64 Plymouth Fury that was bought at Sites Bros. I have very fond memories as a young lad going to the strip with mom and dad. They're both gone now, but I still have a '64 Belvedere that dad bought as a father/son project in '76. It's white, not black, but it is a 4-speed car with red interior just like Dad's original Fury. Too cool for school! I have a picture from a World of Wheels car show from probably the early 80's where a KCTA sign was on display above an old bantam roadster if I recall? The old Sites Bros. Missouri Mule was also on display at this same show. Car still exists and is undergoing a complete restoration.

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Strolling through the archives (man this place is rad) . . .

Found this amazing thread by an original hot rodder. This thread needs to be resurrected.

Ray, are you still out there? Awesome stories, you are a treasured original.
    Hope you don't mind, but I'm re-posting one of your pics of ya'lls car club from back in the day:

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your incredible stuff Ray!!

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a series of magazine photos of the Dragettes car club. This is probably ya'lls wives and girlfriends, Ray!!

[​IMG]

20. Thanks for all of the post's...............It was appreciated by me very much, and by others as well !
    welcome........to the H.A.M.B.

firstnomad
    www.angelfire.com/jazz/flatlandstudio