Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floor Jacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Dake, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I used a cheapie regularly for 20 years, finally died, and i got a HF, no problems

2. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I had jack stands and it went up fine. I gears used to raise and lower the jack was junk and had spots crushed into them where they would bind. You had to put substantial force on the handle to put it into the down position which would cause the car to come to the ground rather abruptly. Hydraulics were fine, the gears for the handle to raise and lower the thing were crap. I was only lifting a 1/2 ton Chevy so it wasn't in an overweight application and the gears clearly were made of soft steel because they shouldn't groove like they did. I'm stupid, but not that stupid. I do the big reach with the jack stands and smoosh my face against fender, quarter panel, whatever before I stick my fat head under it.

3. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I have an OLD Weaver floor jack. It goes with my 1914 Weaver Press. It's a ratcheting floor jack, the front wheels also steer. I use it alot. Aside from that I have a Walker from the 50's I think. It was the first floor jack my dad ever bought when he started his shop. The walker has only been rebuilt once and that was in 1984...I've never had a problem with it. I restored the Weaver and use it alot too. I also have a couple big walker air jacks.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 older Craftsman floorjacks. Both are perfection. Problem is they don't make either model any longer. One I use for really low cars, the other general duty. I also have a Blackhawk but it's a tad clumsy and heavier than the Craftsmans. It also will creep down a tad after a few hrs. I've seen and heard many horror stories about floorjack failure. I agree with the jackstands comment. Never ever without. NEVER.

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

What about the Torin floor jacks? Are they made in the USA?

6. Nope! ... made in China ... from their website:

We are the largest manufacturer of hydraulic jacks and tool boxes in the world. The Torin factory in Changshu, China encompasses 106,400 square meters with a 138,000 square meter addition planned for 2006. Torin {Corp HQ} recently moved into a brand new 100,000 square foot facility in Ontario, California.</SPAN>

My dad had a Hein Warner floor jack (I think it was a model "WS") ... a really quality (Made in the USA) tool ... he bought it used at a swap meet in the early 70's ... it was a big & heavy sucker (though only rated @ 1 1/2 tons) and low enough to slide under all of our lowered vehicles ... it finally died a leaky death in 2000 ... hydraulics had been rebuilt & cylinder honed a few times so it was no longer feasible to pay the $100+ for yet another rebuild ... so I bought an ALLTRADE model #620098-FH 3 ton floor jack from Costco ... paid only $115 ... so I assumed it was Made in China and didn't expect it would last very long ... but 8 years later, and it's still working perfectly ... & doesn't leak! :)

Although your thread is kinda H.A.M.B. friendly ... it might be more appropriate on The Garage Journal Board (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum) ... or if enough HAMBers admit to working under their cars without jack stands, then maybe you could post on the Darwin Awards nominations website (http://www.darwinawards.com/slush/submit_story.html) :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

CRAP! And I thought these were decent jacks too!

8. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

you need a couple floor jacks,,,,,
    a big ass heavy one that will never leave the garage , the real long ones are great if you have the space , I have a couple of Mac shop jacks that are really too heavy to throw in your truck to take somewhere else....

then you need a jack that heavy enough for all your other needs , an old Hein warner one will work great....

Then I have a middle range harbour freight aluminum floorjack that I leave in my truck for changing tires etc,

I think I have 5 working floorjacks and 3 non working ones I will fix "someday"

Beaulieu

9. zzford

zzford

I was told by my Snap On tool man that Hein Werner is the only manufacturer still making floor jacks in the U.S.. The outfit I work for bought one and it was only about $200 for the 2 ton version. I bought a Marquette from my tool guy. It is Chinese, but is fully rebuildable and uses US hydraulics. No problem after 2 years. I have an old Blackhawk ( I bought it new in 1975) that needs rebuilding but no one seems to have the kit.

10. jimmyv

jimmyv

I have a used Walker. Got it for fifty bucks several years ago and it's still working fine. Look on Craigslist and in you local classifieds or post a wanted ad in them.

11. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

As a few folks mentioned go with the Sears. I have had mine for almost 20 years now and it has been great. I long time ago I needed a part for it and Sears had it to me in a weeks time.

12. jimmyv

jimmyv

Someone told me all Sears jacks are now made in China.

13. Entirely possible/probable:(. Hopefully this thread might cover that information.

14. crb

crb
    from socal

Their quality sure seems to be good and Hein-Werner may be made in the US, but you have to wonder about where their components come from. Their parent company is Shinn Fu Company of America. Their companies include Lincoln and Marquette, Porto-Power/Blackhawk, Pro-Lift and even ACDelco.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

I Have Abused Hf Jacks, Overleoad Trailers, Towmotors, They May Not Be Strong Enough To Lift What I Want But Has Never Failed, But I Do Not Work Under A Car With Just A Floor Jack Always Use Stands

16. owen thomas

owen thomas

I have a beautiful old hydraulic floor jack bought at a garage sale in central Kansas for $15. It must be 60 years old at least. Made by Menasco Mfg. Burbank California, and called a Malabar jack. They just don’t build them like this anymore. Menasco is still in business making jacks for aircraft. A quick Google finds a similar but smaller jack for sale at $75. The ad says it’s a Craftsman. Maybe Menasco made for Sears.
    http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/tls/688220692.html

17. Abomination

Abomination

Met a guy on eBay selling an awesome Walker from the 20s or 30s - a floor jack ("Roll-A-Car") with a T-Handle, etc. It was awesome. Maybe he'll join up and post some pics...

It was eBay item 180257148284, but was for sale locally in Wi. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, ain't THAT badass? I've sent him a few messages, and he's still got it, too (nobody ever bought it). Too bad I'm not local! :(

His seller name was blue56vette - I figured he was pretty HAMB friendly, so I led him here. Cool guy, too.

~Jason

18. Richard Head

Richard Head

http://www.blackhawkparts.com/

I bought a kit for my old Blackhawk. I just haven't had time to install it. I love the Blackhawk because it is low, wide and and lifts pretty high. Its also the only floor jack that will fit under the front bumper of my pickup.

Dave

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought my Sears jack about 30 years ago. Not running a shop hewre but I have used it. Only thing I didn't like is it didn't go high enough. Fixed that Sunday.

20. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

my mac tools jack has never left me hurt, and i use all kinds of them being in the towing industry

21. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

I bought mine from the mac tool truck that serviced the shop i worked in the late '80s...2 1/2 ton, hasn't failed yet the only problem with it was the spring on the handle broke years ago and i have to watch out for the handle falling back into stuff.
    Brian

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have a Harbor freight 10 ton, no prblems yet. (crossing my fingers, knocking my head on wood) I also have 2 Craftsman. I have had one for about 12 years, no problems. The newer one works good but I have had the handle come out and I fell on my bum. I was also using to move a car at the time.