Register now to get rid of these ads!

472/500 Caddilac engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thinking of using this Isky cam in my 500, Opinions ???

Isky number 711262 for 472/500 Cadillac approx 2000-5500 An ISKY SUPERCAM!
    Good torque, power in lower to middle RPM range. OK idle, Likes headers or dual exh.
    advertised duration 262/262 duration @ .50" 208/208.valve lift 445/.445 lobe center 110 (approx)

or possibly Comp Cam 260H range 1000-5000 rpm,duration @ 50" 212, lift .481"

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

3. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

4. Question for the caddy guru's --------------

I know the 1970 is the cream of the crop and the later years only got worse but is there any good in a 1968 472???????

5. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

7. JB 472

JB 472
    from Maine

Stewed,

To answer your question, the '68 & '69 472's are just as good a motor as the rest of the engine family. The cylinder block is a different casting than the '70 and later models.

1968 was the introduction of the 472. It was the sole Cadillac power plant unitl 1970 when it was stroked to 500 cubes.

1970 was the introduction of the 500 and it required a modified block that served both 472 and 500 cubic inch motors.

The '68/69 block has a smaller main oil gallery and it is not clearanced for the 500 stroke, but the early 472 engines have the highest factory compression ratio.

So for a street rod motor or a mild strip build as a 472 you would not be able to tell the difference.

8. Thanks for the info on the 1968 472ci. I have a lead on one that was pulled with less than 50,000 miles on it and priced right. Is it the heads that make the compression so high and is there a way to mix the high comp heads with the later 500 block for more power?

9. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The article your talking about was called "Caddy Hack"It's what got me interested in Caddy motors

10. Appleseed

Appleseed

Unless I glossed over it, doesn't an outfit called Bulldog make some new heads for these Caddies?

11. Turbocadxxx

Turbocadxxx
    from Ohio, USA

MTS is making a new version of the Bulldog aluminum heads as a stock to mild performance head. They should be available soon.

MTS
    http://www.mtscadparts.com/MTSHome.htm

Potter Auto will soon have a high port aluminum race-type head

Potter Automotive
    http://www.cadillacperformanceparts.com/

Overall these are some decent engines for the street and track. Going to one of the vendors that specialize in them is well worth it

12. Fasterthanu

Fasterthanu

Super cool thread. Very informative.

13. moshovel

moshovel
    from salem,mo

will a t5 bolt up behind a 425 cadi with a bop bell and i head theres no pilot hole in the crank thaks for the help

14. scribbles

scribbles
    from Irvine CA

Hey, I have a newbie question about the 472/500 engines... I wanted to fix a 69 cadillac as an everyday rather than a performance car. Is it possible to retrofit any of the newer 70's engines on this thing? I wanted to get the best gas mileage possible, the stock 472 on it gets something like 10mpg so I wanted to see how much it could be improved with a newer engine. Is this possible, and what would be the best I can do with it? Thanks for any advice.

15. Abomination

Abomination

A bunch of us here would love to buy the motor off of you - but for the best advice, you may want to try these guys; they rock:
    http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/

Not to blow you off or anything, it's just that those folks are really more tailored more towards your deal. Seriously - check 'em out!

~Jason

16. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I started a post with this question but it never got answered. How wide is the 500 with the 425 Transaxle on it?? Will I beable to wedge it into my '29 Pontiac Frame and keep width down to a minimum? By the way I'm using the 425 Transaxle so my '29 Big Six that I converted to a completly new body style...."Cab Foward Roadster Pickup" is going to rear engined with possibly a modified model A pickup box. My other problem is setting up the rear suspension. Does anyone have any tips?

17. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

That sounds like a cool project. But you may get more response with some photographs for the rest of us to go off of.

18. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I'm not sure on frame width because I do not have the frame at the moment (It's still at the farm). But all I have really done is take and scoot the grill shell closer to the cowl, there is about 2ft in between each, the radiator battery and brake booster will go there. Then I took and sectioned off the rear of the body moved it up to the doors, did quite a bit of work to get it to look right. Put in a floor and now I'm waiting for the frame. I still have to track down an engine and trans. A trashed out '70 Eldo shouldn't be to hard to find or that hard on the wallet. I just wanted to see if any one knew the width on the engine with the transaxle attached.

19. I'm runnin a 472 massaged, and when they breathe they kick butt. Have fun, Rags

20. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

27 inches. But, There is a 4.5 inch kick out down low where the chain turns on the torque converter.

21. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks!!! It should fit pretty good then. *hopefully*

Also does anyone happen to have a picture of the front suspension set up on a 70's Eldo, so I have an idea of what I'm getting my self into.

22. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great thread, and glad to hear the 472-500 Cads not referred to as "turds" and boat anchors! I'm building my '36 "Fordillac" around a '68 472. It's bored .060", mildly ported heads, mild cam and valvetrain componants from MTS (very helpful guys, BTW). Pistons, 10.5 to 1 from Egge, all the rest of the stuff from the local NAPA store. I ran this engine in my '48 Pontiac convert for over 20 years, and saved it when I rebuilt the car with an LT1.

Didn't see this mentioned, but the 472 blocks can go .120" over according to MTS, but this requires custom made pistons and copper head gaskets. As mentioned, Edlebrock makes a single alum 4 bbl, and block hugger headers are available now. I don't have room under the hood (the car is heavily sectioned and channeled) for the '36 for the E manifold, and so am using the stock intake. I'm also using the stock Cad rocker pedastels, which limited my cam choices, but figured in an estimated 2500 lb car, with a rough guess 425 hp on tap, I won't need any more!

Attached Files:

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

the 500 in RixRex 48 Sedanette runs gooood...:D

Hardest part was belts and pulleys-that and the fact that the 472 originally slated for it shat the bed upon fireup.

25. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

26. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

One thing I hope nobodies forgetting is that I think it was in 1970-1971 they changed the method by which horsepower was rated in engines and that throws off all the numbers right in the year they did that. I think it WAS in '70. that's why in 71 the motors seem way worse. The following years were all just detuning for frikkin smog crap or some stupid thing... This thing leads me to believe that the 70 and 71 motor might be just the same, justy measured by 2 different systems, resulting in different numbers...
    -GothY-

27. does anyone know if the rear ends from the same caddies are worth using? havent seen any of these used in anything else before.

28. Sprout

Sprout

29. 133

i had swapped in a 500 from a '70 Eldorado into my '66 Coupe a couple of years ago and i'm glad i did. man that motor kicks ass!

30. 514deuce

514deuce

My engine (from my 70 coupe deville)is currently undergoing swap over to fuel injection. With ported iron heads cam/Edelbrock manifold and Demon carb it was already pretty strong in my 32 hiboy. Especially since its backed up by a Richmond 5 sp. I can boil the hides on the freeway from a cruise if I am not careful. There is nothing like the sound of a large displacement cylinder firing.:)