Register now to get rid of these ads!

What ONE CAR would you own & why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Jun 22, 2008.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I know this list would include a lot of different '32 Fords like all the "famous" roadsters, but as these cars are climbing in value from 100K to 400K and will soon be at the 1 MILLION mark!, I want to get back to somewhat of a reality and think of a car you would dram of, and without it costing more than your house what's a car that would fulfill your dreams and be a car you would enjoy to drive the wheels off of the way Bob K. drives his convertible.

For me one at the top of the list would be a recreation of Sam Hollingsworth's '57 Nomad.

Why? I was hooked on tri-fives as a birth right. I was brought home from the hospital in a beautiful '56 hardtop, and bugged my dad about that car until we were looking at '55-'57 Chevies nearly everyday in the early '70s. We finally got out first one, a '55 Nomad in 1977, and it's been my first love ever since. I had the Revell Model kit with the Hollingsworth Nomad on it at an early age- and with it's incredible detail I studied it over and over for hours along with my magazines with '55-'57 Chevies in them. But that car was my own personal portal to the '60s I had never seen- the cars of the '70s pretty much sucked, that car laying on the deck on Buick wires, with the bad-ass flake & flame job and 4 Impala buckets inside the interior made it a car I would forever lust for. Also during the '70s we were making a strong effort to preserve and restore cars- and so the fact that the body and all the emblems were TOTALLY stock on the Hollingsworth car made it way more acceptable to me than the fender flared and sun-roof ruined disco machines in the '70s.

That's my car- and I'm sticking to it. Hopefully I can build it before I'm too old to turn a wrench.

Attached Files:

2. DrJ

DrJ

I've always dreamed of owning a '63-'65 (a first series with glass covered headlights) XK-E type Jaguar.
    Red with natural/Tan leather and tan folding top and Red removable hard top.

Yea, I know...

3. Chopped26

Chopped26

4. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

If your over 5feet tall you might reconsider.

5. garyv

garyv

I've got 2 of my favorite cars, a 1949 Plymouth Business coupe and a 1951 Simca 8 Sport coupe, but the one car I'd really like to have is a 1949 Ford Club Coupe. I've never looked really hard for one, just kinda kept an eye out in case a decent one drifted my way. I've loved them since I was 11 or 12. A young guy in the neighborhood had really nice one painted competition orange. That was in a poor working class white neighborhood in Central California 45 years ago. Mine would be basically stock, white, red tuck-and-roll, and a bit of a tail dragger.

gary

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Lamborghini Miura.
    Bright orange or bright green.
    Id also sport a handlebar moustache for the rest of my life, and wear flares every day. what a life i would have!
    [​IMG]

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh mate those Victorian winters are just getting a little too much for you arent they.........considering the orange :) :)

8. Rem

Rem

Aston Martin DB6. Silver, with chrome wires.

Damn, no, it'd be a fendered '32 5-window. SBC, four-speed, Halibrand rear, early American spokes (not polished), and faded '60s metallic paint.

Or a (cheaper) clone of Calori's '36.

Oh, I give up.

9. 2002p51

2002p51

Well, I've always wanted a '40 Ford coupe, or a two-seat T-bird, or a chopped '30 or '31 Model A coupe, or a . . .

Heck, do I hafta pick just ONE?

So many cars, so little time.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A Cheetah..... so hard to tame..... or an original 427 cobra......

11. Well for me i really love shoebox's but my real dream car would be the mantagra merc mmmm that would be the life having that

12. i have always wanted a 40 willys sense i was old enough to want one , my very first hot rod experiance was in my dads car in the early sixtys , there are others that would make the list as well a 40 ford coupe or any tri5 chevy would also be a few i would love to someday own as well ..

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

I love hot rods/street rods but 8 of my cars are original. I'd like an original '32 Ford sedan delivery....Reason; we've owned a '32 B-400 and an original '32 phaeton with 10,000 miles but never found a primo sedan delivery....I'd especially like a 4 cylinder;I mean we're dreaming, right?...........Mike

Attached Files:

14. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

31 Ford Roadster, that was my dad's first car. But I would have to Hot Rod it.

15. If im not allowed to choose a 32 higboy roadster. A AC Cobra R/C or a Ford GT 40, painted in the Gulf-livery. But wich one? I think ill go for the GT 40. Replica of course
    Lars

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I've already owned the ONE car I always wanted, so I suppose it's a pretty hollow pursuit anymore...but if I did trip over a shoebox full of hundred dollar bills somewhere I could maybe be persueded to do an unchopped T coupe with a big block Chevy in it someday.

17. zzford

zzford

I have always dreamt about an early Vega. SIGH

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well ... if you are going to eliminate two of my cars ( 32 Ford roadster and a 32 Ford 3W coupe :) )
    ... I would say a 1940 Ford standard businessman coupe.

[​IMG]

They do not need much to really look good IMHO. I had one ( the one in the photo was not mine ... but very close :) )
    ... and let it slip away. I do regret it. I have my eyes on another one
    ... low miles and fairly nice original car but with a frozen, busted flathead ...
    Been sitting inside since the late 50's.

If you see me starting a thread about my just bought " barn find " ...
    Hopefully, it will be that long sitting 40 Ford coupe ...
    :D

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im working on it now.
    maybe not so special to some.,
    but Ive always wanted a first year Model A Tudor sedan Full fender Hot Rod. about half the parts are in my garage.
    reason for the want.
    First year body styles I love
    I have a 68 charger 1st year for the coke bottle body
    53 chevy 1st year for that body style and it ended in 54
    now the 28 Tudor first year for that body.
    And I will be able to take 3 more riders along for the adventure.
    most liekly Wife, Daughter, and Dog

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree with you on the Hollingsworth Nomad.

I had the model kit when it first came out, and had a copy of the May '67 R&C that featured it on the cover.

The ONE car I would want to own, and have owned for 17 years (after 19 years of wanting it) is a '56 Nomad. To me, the proportions of a Nomad are right on, and I like the way they look from any angle.

If you let me have TWO cars, the second would be a '40 Ford Deluxe coupe.

21. Like so many others, my tastes are always changing. Latest lust is this Corviar powered Dune Buggy, built by Steve McQueen, for the Thomas Crown affair movie. Hamb friendly or not, it's just plain Bad-ass :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9yFQkcGik

[​IMG]

22. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I've allways liked that yellow Model T that Frankie and Annette are singing in in "Beach Party", and like the previous post, I always wanted a Manx dune buggy like Kurt Russell drove in those Disney flicks. Very simple cars that make a statement!

23. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

A hemi powered 41 Willys coupe would be cool!

24. brady1929

brady1929

any 1932 ford
    28/29 ford roadster on 32 rails
    36 ford 5w coupe
    because they are the cars i wish to have

25. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

The Monkeemobile Just ALL WAYS LOVED that car

26. JAWS

JAWS

I gotta say the Merc Stallone drove in Cobra.

27. KY Boy

KY Boy

Growing up in KY I never had the chance to do something llike that. I always thought that I wanted to...after watching that video now I know. I'm doing a desert vacation and driving a dune buggy next year.

As far as cars I would love to own...I wish I knew 'cause I'd buy one. I've been trying to figure this out for about 4-5 years because I got tired of building stuff and wasting money not to have what I wanted in the end. At this point i think I just like turning the wrenches more than the end result. But if i lived in or near the desert a 4 seat dune buggy to take the family out would be a priority.

I'm supposed to be getting a 32 ford 2 door sedan one of these days. A family member has it in his basement where it has been since 1951. Its willed to my dad who has promsed it to me. I dont even want it right now as I would rather have an uncle than a car. But i dont spend too much time worrying about what the perfect car is 'cause I think its safely tucked away in a basement waiting to be perfectly put back to the condition it was when it was pulled into its place in '51. Flathead V8, 41 tranny, juice brakes...I done see that it will need anything but some cleaning and fixing what is there.

28. A Yugo powered by a Ford Flathead V8-60.

29. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

F*#%,,, you mean I would have to decide on ONE!!!I love all cars and want so many.... but I guess I waould have to say pantera, or porsche 356 coupe pre 58 . and of corse I wouldn't be happy with just one.so I might have to go with both.

30. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

If I had to limit it to just one...a '40 Ford Deluxe Coupe. Metallic Maroon body with black fenders, just like the one that ran around my hometown in the early 70's. I've always loved that car.