Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Coffey and jones @ Spokane raceway park erly to mid 80"s. 9.32 sec. et[​IMG]

2. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Is it my computor or has any one else lost half the pics from this thread.
    got a bunch of little squars with little red Xs
    Just a wonderin', OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

3. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

R.I.P. Virgil Sellers[​IMG]

4. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Not a drag car but a v8 motorcycle! Greg Fury 2 Deer Park dragstrip.[​IMG]

5. Nitro Nick

Nitro Nick

I am pretty sure that the wreck is that of Micky Naylor at Santa Pod. He went into a towering wheelstand and then came back down to earth in a shattering display of parts

6. Nitro Nick

Nitro Nick

This is a still from footage taken of Jock McLeod learning to fly in Graeme Cowin's Camaro - around thirty years ago. That is current Top Fuel pilot, Bob Shepherd in a Monaro flopper beside him.
    [​IMG]

7. Funny story about the indian. 63 Winternats, Saturday morning, our first run of the meet. The indian was sdanding about 10 yards behind my roadster. At the hit the Halibrand V8 quickie launched the entire back half of its case about 40 feet straight back. Talk about an indian war dance! He bounced around about 30 seconds trying to figure out what happened. Haddn'
    t thought of that in years. thanks for the indian pic.

8. WCD

WCD

Thats a great shot of Pomona. Until about the end of 1964, the PVTA (Pomona Valley Timing Association) hosted drags throughout the year, and that included everything from top fuel to stock eliminator. Noise (sic) was the culprit which killed it, relegating the events to once a year for years. All though they did have a Div 7 points meet there in the summer around 75 or so.

9. Hotroddon I didn,t realise your bitchin' Anglia was"Blairs speed shop",What,s on the agenda put it back as was? Its lookin, bad just in primer :cool:

[​IMG][/quote]

10. Yeah it has quite a history. It currently has a Blown and Injected 351 Cleveland with a C6 in it. We are pulling that out and putting a Hilborn Injected 396 with a 4 speed back in it. It will be repainted exactly like it was in 69-72 and it's heading back to the drag strip! Hopefully by the end of this year ...

[/quote]

11. The Iron Maiden was a colaboration between Neil Leffler, and Bill Coburn. It used the blown fuel hemis from both their A comp coupes on a long chassis with the two quickchange, 4 slick set up, and a tiny Masserschmit body. Yes it was crude, and it's biggest claim to fame was some of the smokiest passes ever.

12. Nitro Nick

Nitro Nick

This is more recent but in all my years at the track (some 38) I've never seen one car got up another's jaxi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. WCD

WCD

Dean is right, this pose serves as the classic stance for any FED, be it with a blower and injector (the tear drop style scoop looked especially cool). Another great shot are those of an injected rail with the mask donned driver peering over a set of gleaming chromed Enderle's, Hillborns, etc..

14. ron95gt

ron95gt

how the heck does that even happen?

15. Wesley

Wesley

Ouch, that is going to leave a mark! That even more outrageous that the guy that crashed his Henry J doing a burnout at Little River. The worst one I saw was Dennis Forcelle's crash on the start line when he forgot to take his Top Alky Dragster out of reverse after backing up from the burnout and tried to do a dry hop.

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

I like the guy on the left... "oh, sh...."

17. RossPreen

RossPreen

The guy in front was slower than the guy behind:D. We race on a budget over here, so we run both cars in the one lane!
    Ross.

18. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Non Taken, I'm sure. I enjoy the commentary. Hope this thread never ends. I think it had to be before '56 That's when they ran that front mounted blower with the Hemi. Seemed to be one of the quiet, heros, He just did it all.
    Thanks, OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

19. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

That comes under the heading of "No Brains,No Pain"!

20. Leffler & Coburn- The Iron Maiden in all it's glory. Yup, it was hard to look at. What a lot of work put into a car that didn't run as good as either of the comp coupes that gave up their engines for it.

21. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

In 219 pages of classic drag photos,
    we now have the winner.
    Four Fuelers abreast, tyres blazing, in colour.
    Awesome photo Kev.

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Anybody know who the 4 are?

23. wsdad

wsdad

24. WCD

WCD

Well its Fresno Dragstrip, a one time nice venue that still exists today, albeit in a state of decay. The cars are Nor-Cal based entries. The 3rd one from the top, purple hued and featuring an apparent tail section is the car of Jeff Starr. I beleive one is also Jim Davis, and maybe Masters and Richter and perhaps John Batto.

25. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Sweet Jesus......I agree 100%, now i've seen it all in this thread. I need a cigarette.:D

26. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I'd like to hear a sound clip of that.

27. tenebr8

tenebr8

I can just about guarantee that we have not yet seen it all in this thread!!

28. Looks like Tony Water's roadster before the blown De Soto..........

29. That's the car that Mickey was towing to the NHRA nationals, and stopped of at Bonneville during speed week. He changed the gears and went over 200 with it. And so the seed for the Challenger was planted.