Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

AAA ....yep same assn. that's around today. Gave up on auto racing in the mid 50s when drivers were dying and being maimed with regularity and thats when USAC took over. IMCA was also a major sanctioning body during that time frame.

2. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

The Central States Racing Association (CSRA), based out of Dayton, Ohio was a major sanctioning group around that period. Many photos, results, stories and statistics can be found in the Buzz Rose Book, The Rim Riders.

http://www.roseracingpublications.com/rim_riders.html

http://www.roseracingpublications.com/index.html

3. racer5c

racer5c

AAA
    American Automobile Association

4. the shadow

the shadow

thanks guys, did "AAA" have any logo with there name, if so do you have any pics or links to old flyers that had the AAA name on it?
    Paul

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Pretty sure AAA's logo has always been the same.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

7. cars5752

cars5752

Super site for us who like the old days and the vintage open wheel cars. I'll attach a photo of my old midget I've finished.

Attached Files:

8. The Edlebrock 60 won the main at Gilmore on a Thursday night, and did it again on Friday at San Berdoo beating the best Offys on the west coast. The driver was the then just out of the air force Roger Ward. Vic's 60 had a little edge on the Offys for a few weeks with a 25% nitro load. Shortly after that Perry Grim was the regular driver. Vic kept the 60 cool with a huge top radiator tank, and another water tank under the seat. The tank had a hand pressure pump that Grim would hit a few times during a 30 lap feature when the temp climed. The pressure forced the steam out with cooler water. And ingenuity like that is why Vic was The Man!

9. racer5c

racer5c

GORGEOUS!!!!!

10. racer5c

racer5c

Kind of off topic but I went to "Wilbur Shaw Hill" tonight to watch some soaa box derby action, some really cool lil cars, also got to meet Wilbur Shaw's son. Got to go down the hill in an "adult" car I think the Indy High Winders car club is involved in running the races. Terry Engle a member of the High Winders told me he won in 1954 and had newspaper clippings showing him winning the race going over the finish line BACKWARDS! Anyone want pics or should I start a new thread?

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

post them Roy.. That pic you sent me was cool..

So,,, Is there a sign that reads "Wilbur Shaw Hill"??? If there is, I'm glad you never told me about it in my WILDER days!! I'd have to "Borrow" that!:D:D

J SHaw

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Came across your car on the RFTP site, some yrs. ago, and have been enamored with it since, the quintessential midget as far as I'm concerned. The caption of the pic on RFTP says it is a ex-PePi Marchese car, and I assume you are D. Hatcher. Would love to see more pics and know more info/details, if possible.

13. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

your car is knock down nice, wish it was in my shop, if it was the PePi car I've raced with it a few times
    "Doc"

14. cars5752

cars5752

Thanks you guys for the kind words about my midget. The car is either and Edmunds or an Edmunds copy. (I don't have the dash tag). I've been unable to trace any history past Pepi Marchese and due do his injury at Eldora in 1992, he is unable to communicate well enough with me to be of help. When Pepi had the car it was black with a gold leaf #5 on the tail section. The car was sold to Danny Roberts who ran the car a few times with the Dairyland group in Wisconsin. Car then went to Michigan to Dick Southworth who ran it for a few years and then to a fellow named Greg Schmidt who really did not run the car much. Then the car went to Ohio to Tom Smith who has a small museum at his home with several very nice old open wheel cars. I bought the car from Tom and since it had set for quite a while, I had to bring it back to life and get it up and running and repainted to what I wanted. My favorite track to run on is Williams Grove in Pa. I'm amazed by the history there. The car has a full race 153 C.I. Chevy II with EVM injection running on alcohol. It's a four bar car with a halibrand slider rear-end. If anyone could be of any help to me with any history past Pepi, feel free to email me at [email protected] or call (304)-768-4214. Again thanks for the inquiry and comments. --- Dave Hatcher

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Damn thats pretty.
    Dave

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

"Car5752"

Excellent car.. Absolutly the right profile!

Welcome.

JD

17. Looks a lot like my sidewalk racer. :) It's for sale.

Attached Files:

18. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I love that car, I am in the planning stages of building a replica of that type of car. By far the best "look" of any midget in my opinion.

19. hemifarris

hemifarris

Excellent thread!!

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Of course this could be a reference to a entirely different car, but the 9-88 issue of OW magazine had a short feature on Pepi Marchese and- FWIW- this is a scan from that article, no other pics or details.

Attached Files:

21. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I just told the wife if i sell my 32 roadster my next project is going to be restoration of a midget.. She just shook her head :)
    Dave

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Its a great sickness.. and with any luck your kids will get it.. and their kids and so on..:D

23. hot rod surplus

hot rod surplus

any body going to latimer valley this weekend for track time ???? hopefully takeing a freinds 37 flat tail sprint .

24. Rotta14

Rotta14

Can I get details of this car for sale ? With thanks.:D

25. Rotta14

Rotta14

Like restored Vintage Midgets?

Check-out this site; www.historicspeedway.com

Club Gallery and Event Pics are GREAT pages !

26. racer5c

racer5c

Yep big sign, "Wilbur Shaw Hill" I will try to get by there and get a pic of it for ya

27. racer5c

racer5c

that car is not a Higman

28. Offy

Offy

This is the event shirt for a car show in Pana IL where the Honore Offy is featured this weekend. Damned shame it wasn't closer to Indiana Sprint Week.

Attached Files:

29. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I drug most of a late 70's early 80's chevy II midget home over the weekend, I will post pics soon. The plan is to cut the cage off and redo some of the rear chassis to match the 1965 Don Edmunds Midget plans I got from Don. The front clip is close enough to the plans to use as is. Will look similar to the red #5 when I'm Done. Looking for a taper axle rear end and some 13" Halibrand wheels if has anything laying around.

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep, call me. I have the hook up on lots of original tires too..

513-257-5121

come see me at the shop..
    JD