Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beeline Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.D., Jun 19, 2008.

1. M.D.

M.D.

Anybody got pics from Beeline Dragway in PHX?

2. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

3. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

P.M. zellerware....... he has lots of pics probably info too.

4. jpm49c

jpm49c

[​IMG]This was opening day at Beeline dragway in Scottsdale Arizona. October 1963. Not much out there till the Winternationals in January 1964.
    John

5. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

Beeline is where my willys gasser named Guggy's coffee shops raced

6. Beeline was the first place the '65 AWB Mopars raced in competition. '65 AHRA Winter Nats.

7. I always wondered what that crazy looking stuff was on the way to Fountain Hills-- looks like something from a post-apocalyptic movie now.

8. jpm49c

jpm49c

My first Winter Nationals at Beeline 1964.

Attached Files:

9. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

the tower is still standing out there

10. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

thats not the orig tower

11. gasser38

gasser38

Start picking up drag racing magazines from the late 60's and early 70's. More event coverage from bee line than you can shake a stick at. Must have been quite a place.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It was quite a place. If your heading west on the 202, as you get to the river bottom look to your right and squint - you can still see the tower. Probably best to try this when your riding! When I was a kid in the seventies, I grew up close to intersection of Scottsdale and Shea. As Winternationals time rolled near, I would pretend to start riding my bike down Shea to go to school and stop and just watch the race cars go by on their trailers. Come race day my parents wouldn't have any problems dropping me off at the gates in the morning, and picking me up in the evening. I went several other times throughout the year when I could, but sadly, it was all gone by the time I was driving. There has been some rumblings in the last couple of years about reopening Bee-Line, but none have got past rumblings that I am aware of.

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. That was the most beautiful paint work. I looked in on the car being built at Chuck's from time to time and watched the guy do some of the gold leaf on it. I've gota picture around here somewhere - It was a sad day when that car was ruined - Guggy's had the best pies - black bottom was one of my faves -

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  15. Okay here ya go -

Attached Files:

16. Here is the original tower -at least this was it in 1970.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      246.6 KB
      Views:

17. Yes, and I have a great color and narrated documentary of it. Neat stuff. Mine is on VHS but, I am sure you can find it now on dvd. Worth buying for sure.

18. Pretty sure the 'new' block tower/building that still stands was first used in 1971.

Hosting- Nostalgic Show & GO! Speedworld Sunday April 3

19. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I was there for the Winter Nationals in '64. I still have my pit pass around here somewhere.

20. jpm49c

jpm49c

Won a Guest pass to the 1975 Winter Nationals from KRIZ radio 1230 on your AM dial. John

Attached Files:

21. was just doing some reading on bee line.. looks like they lost the lease from the natives.. IE the natives didn't want them doing it anymore.. with speed world, and firebird.. and bean counters runnin the show.. I don't think there is going to be a need for a 3rd track.. but say if I could rent the property.. for my own personal use.. now that would be nice! go riding at sycamore creek, swimming at lake saguaro, and my private vacation property. bee line :D

22. almost forgot.. I do believe the original tower is also standing.. at the other end of the track.. I want to say they flipped it around when they redid it.

23. Here's a some that I have from the 70's, I have some more if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Of course we wanna see some more! Maybe I'll see myself. (LOL)
    I'm looking for pictures of a dragster from the mid to late 60's; a long tube chassis, it had a silver and red metal flake T-truck body with a big chrome key for a pushbar. It ran a SBC with a 6-71 blower and a LaSale 2/3rd gear. It belonged (still does although it hasn't made a pass in a very long time.) to my neighbor Dick "Doc" Buffington. B/mr? It was #2 nationally back then -

25. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

yes I heard the paint/lettering looked amazing Gill Guggisberg had The Krazy Painter George Cerney Jr. from Compton,California paint the Willys (George painted all kinds of famous fed and funny cars George Jr. and his dad George Sr. were custom car builders) then George's partner Tom Kelley applied the lettering and artwork.

26. Is that the same Doc Buffington that was a Dentist in Springfield Oregon in the early 60s? He moved to Phoenix area in about 64/65. If so, I use to work on/tune his factory FI 57 Vette when I worked out of Van's Auto Truck Repair in Springfield.
    We were members of the "KLAN" racing team out of Springfield. I was racing my 350 horse 348 4 spd 60 Impala and my 62 409/409 4 spd.
    Last I heard, Doc was retired and is still in the Phoenix area. Still have the gold Doc put in one of my teeth.
    Heard he has now a nice restored 57 Vette here in Phoenix.

27. Yep that's him! I believe he's in the phone book - Still plays ina CW band too!

28. Thats sure a different "DOC" than I knew!!! How life changes!!