Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever do an Extended cab El Camino?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boldventure, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Hey Dice, that pic does not do the car justice. When it was being fabed up and still in bare metal, I was refering to it as the bat mobile. But now that the body work is done and it is almost ready to spray, I am highly impressed. It truely looks amazing. Although it is heavily modified, seeing it in person, it looks like factory lines. Can't wait to see it in paint. Get a better pic up man to satisfy the haters.

2. Now that big back window job looks right!

3. Flower car Caddys rule! Someone needs to bust a nut on this one!

4. lesabre59

lesabre59

Heres an update from The Chopped & Diced 60 El-Meano they built out in Seguin. This car made top 12 for PPG Best paint and is headed to Columbus for the Goodguys show where they will pick first place...the winner of that will be made into a Hot Wheels car....way to go "DICE" here on the HAMB

Attached Files:

5. ditto>>>>.

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The way Jonscustom and that caddy above have done it with the flattop sedan roof is the best looking of the bunch IMO. But in general you just shouldn't fuck with an elcamino's roof in any way.

About the only thing I could think of to improve the back of an elcamino would be a removeable rear glass/cab back/box floor. Make it so you could unbolt a panel, then bolt rear seats to the floorpan which is revealed. Have kind of an open back scrambler/avalanche thing going on, but also able to go back to a stock look when closed up.

7. lesabre59

lesabre59

I personally think Dice pulled it off with taste, if you dont happen to agree thats fine, no need to post negative comments just for the sake of being NEGATIVE, this threads about anyone doing an extended cab El Camino, not your OPINION ON WHETHER ONE SHOULD BE DONE OR NOT, geeesh!

8. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

That's actually kinda interesting. You'd have to stretch in-between the cab and rear wheel a bit though to proportion it better.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's a ton of craftsmanship into the 60 extended cab, and the builders deserve props.

Picking up on some of the other comments in this thread, if a guy was gonna try and stretch the car to do an extended...... Maybe just extend the wheelbase, don't lengthen the car. Slide the rear axle back a few inches. Maybe not the full length of the roof addition, but enough to re-establish the feel of the OEM relationships between the roof and wheelwells and bumpers. In profile the roof's bulk versus the overhang looks somehow out of whack. Just thinking out loud........

10. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

TO be honest... I like the "quick" sketch better... a lot better!

11. I agree.
    The 59 Chevy is my favorite car.
    The toning down of it in 60 was a mistake.
    I've been hoping to find an affordable one of these forever.
    Seeing some one do this, to not one, but two of these cars would be depressing to me to say the least.
    And we do "get it", that's why there are some many folks on here with NO in capital letters.
    Only made one year, a very different body style and getting hard to find in good shape or affordable.
    Cutting up cars makes a lot of different models look better, and this is not one of those cars.

12. KY Boy

KY Boy

I posted a similar idea a year or so ago and got resounding no from the group...I think it was more bacause you would have to cut up a wagon than the finished product wouldnt be cool. I view an elky as a perfect mix but with a wife and two kids...I need a bit more space. I dig the idea and have been thinking on it for years myself. See this post: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132996

13. That car does look nice, I agree.
    But, I don't think it's all about being negative.
    Certain body styles are sacred to some and they are some going to voice their opinion about it.
    The differences in opinions here are what makes this place great and not boring.
    Unless you're going to cut up a second 59 that is totally unusable other than the parts you need, I'm sorry but, I don't agree with cutting up 2 cars to make one.
    Cut into that part of a second car and the second car is done, good for nothing but spare parts.
    That pretty much goes for any pair of old cars.
    Cutting up a ( I dare say it ) good almost streetable 4 door to add parts to a 2 door is in the same boat.
    You're just wasting an old car, probably someone's dream car, and they aren't going to make any more of em for our kids in the future.
    How many of today's cars are going to be worth building in 30 years?
    Hardly any.
    As someone who's aways wanted one of these 59s, I guess I need to ante up and find a good one while they are still available.

14. Dice did a great job and I applaud him for that. Sorry if I rubbed you wrong. I guess you didn't read all of the thread. He asked WHY to the answer NO not why cause it was a bad thing to do. READ BEFORE YOU POST MY FRIEND >>>>.

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Part of the charm is it's exclusion. That's what makes elcaminos somehow seem more hardcore than their impala/chevelle bretheren.

16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have to do it, take a four door hardtop rear glass and do it that way. Your version is hideous, the flat top rear glass would make it look factory at least. It's your elky..

EDIT:

I guess I should have waited for all of the pics to download...the Caddy is just what I was talking about.

17. I know this ones been around a while but, as someone's reopened it and I'm seeing it for the first time, I'd like to add my two cents. I don't understand the use of the rear posts (C pillars, if you will). The sedan rear window on the caddy looks so much better and is in keeping with what the factory might have done. I agree, also, that extending the WB and keeping the bed length is the only way to keep proprtions from looking goofy. Having said this, personally, I don't get the whole trend of extending old truck cabs. To me, non of them look right. These trucks [and cars (except the Caddys)] just dont lend themselves to it. So there...( Don't be pissed at me.)

18. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

[​IMG][/quote]
    Done properly yes. I mean hell yes!

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

This one rules. That looks so natural it is scary.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=439451&d=1209299813

I didn't quite agree with the design choice of the rear pillar at first, but he Dice one turned out nice.

20. lesabre59

lesabre59

No Offense taken EnginePro, Ive just seen over the past few years here on the HAMB a surge in negativity and a lot of people I have spoken to about the HAMB over the years have stopped contributing for just that reason.
    And I understand completely about "sacred" bodystyles to some people.

21. GO BACK AND READ IT. ALL OF IT>>>>.

22. Hey lesabre59 you got shit stirred up and you just kinda left me hangin>>>>.

23. lesabre59

lesabre59

Whatcha mean shit "stirred up". You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. I said no offense was taken and assumed it was done. When i made my reference to negativity it was for the overall HAMB in general, not just this particular thread. In the 7+ years Ive been here on the HAMB its just seemed to have turned from a 90% positive, build and info sharing attitude to more of a general "lets see who we can knock down the fastest" type attitude as of lately. Not meant to be directed at you specifically just the collective attitude thats all.

24. lesabre59

lesabre59

And I did re-read the posts and you were correct...I misunderstood the "Why?" comment, i thought when it was posted directly after the "No", that it was "Why" as in "Why build it", when I saw you "Ditto" I thought you were statin your dissapproval also and for that I was mistaken. Like I said No offense on my part, hope none was take on yours. As for the Negative Vibe as of late...I stand by that.

25. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

I dont like it . There is way too many posts for that little roof. I always thought the less posts the better. cant beat the look of 59 elkys, one of my fav cars from the factory. I kinda did like the caddy one with the cut down flat top roof. I always wanted to make a 2 door flat top.

26. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

seeings how i was the first one to knock your idea, i will reinstate what i feel. these cars look bitchen right from the factory. i dont see why someone would want to go and disturb the flows of this car. after seeing the one that someone already started, it actually looks pretty cool. i think just about anything can look good with the right flow to it. hey, its your car. go for it. dont go for the approval of everyone else. i do think it would be easier to start out with a wagon, but even those look good. if you go for it, finish it. thats all i got to say.

27. Jay71

Jay71

I love a 59 just as much as everyone else on here. Have a 2 dr. Bel Air in the works right now. Definately custom from the factory. I would usually cringe at the thought of cutting one up, but I gotta admit, Im diggin the examples shown on this thread. I'd love to see the Dice Elco with a different paint scheme and wheel treatment, and no tint on the windows. Those little changes would make a huge difference on that car. Photo shop anyone??

28. I think if GM had done it, they'd have used the existing flat-top backlite to build it. Designs with an extra post would require at a minimun new tooling for the quarter window on top of the longer roof and so forth. Using the long hardtop back glass lets you use parts out of inventory for the glass and trim.

I like the flat top '59 sedans, and I agree with the idea of making a 2dr hardtop out of one, would look slick. Plus it would make people scratch their head.

29. Ummm...that would be "no".