Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Plumbers strap holding the tank to the frame. Boy, has tech changed!

2. I remember that car. It belonged to Jerry Morland. Gorgeous Forty. I think he retired it before they wadded it up.

3. OK, that one's a little crude. I think the straw hat says it all.

4. Jim Miles with the crank IN the motor!

5. RossPreen

RossPreen

You know what Sideplate, I often wonder what the tech people would say if Crazyman Taylor wheeled his Topolino into the tech shed today:eek::D

6. rooman

rooman

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by juststeve [​IMG]
    searching for photos/video/anything for a black 1940 sedan from the the late 80's/early 90's. It had a blown hemi (?), was stock bodied, and ran at the early nostalgia drags. the cool part was the original steering wheel and column shift running v quick. i figured if i'm ever gunna find anything, it'll be here....
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>.

<!-- / message -->
    Jerry's car actually had a blown big block Chev for power and it is now on the street in detuned form. It turned up at Goodguys Indy a couple of years ago, just parked in the pits after the races.

Roo

7. WCD

WCD

I never grow tired of the alterds, be it blown fuel or 6 banger. Note the Burkholder's Turtle deck ran Crane cams, a bumpstick not normally found on west coast cars. They won an eliminaor tile at 70 Smokers meet, not sure if it was for AA/FA or combo elim (basically early version of pro-comp featuring blown gas rails and jr fuelers)

8. brandon

brandon

what ever became of moreland...there for a while he had some bad ass stuff...including one of montgomery's mustang gassers...as for wadding up cars....dean , you must be thinking of fat jacks 46 ford....it self distructed going thru the lights....:eek: brandon

9. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Crude but historic, Earnie Hashims early digger, one of the founding members of the Smokers, Famoso, etc. True pioneer of dragracing and hot rodding. Straw hats and Bakersfield go together.

OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

10. Yes I was thinkg about Jack's 46 coupe when I typed that. Jerry had the good sense to realize the car was exceeding it aero/chassis potential. And it was most certainly a bad ass car!

11. Peaky

Peaky
    from Stuart, FL

Guys-I'm sorry to be making my first post a request, but I've been haunted by a picture I saw when I was a kid. Late 60's early 70's--on the cover of a hotrod mag. It was a close-up of a guy in the cage wearing an open face helmet, goggles, and a fire protector, giving the victory/peace sign. Anyone got it? Its one of those memories I'd like to see again. Thanks!

12. No slight meant to Earnie. You are absolutely right, he was one of the pioneers of the sport. A good person to deal with. Bought a lot of M&H's from him. Any idea what year that pic was?

A lot of early stuff was crude. Garlits 30 chevy frame rails were crude compared to stuff just a short time later. Don't mean it didn't work, just rough around the edges. It makes Tony Waters roadster all the more amazing!

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

It's in here about 2/3's of the way through or so.

14. Sure as hell does! The narrowed rear end looks cool. Rare for the time.

15. That thing's got Ed Roth written all over it!! I'd have loved to heard the know it all's explaining it. Very cool, thanks for posting.

16. Zoomies are OK. The "sex appeal" went away when the cage got higher that the bug catcher. This is THE angle to photograph a 60's fuler.

17. Yeah, but what's really cool is the scallops on the helmet. Now that's the way to paint a Bell!!

18. I remembner seeing this car in HR. I think they commented on the drilled 37 tube axle being questionable.

19. Now, there's a roll bar that's gonna' do a lot of good!

20. Yep, it was his daily driver, complete with a Bad Ass Flatty! It was definetly the scourge of the San Gabreil Valey for a period of time! Also won B/SR on 4th of July 1956 at an NHRA meet

21. This is the Blair's Speed Shop Anglia of Jay Lindsley at Irwindale late 69 - 1st time out for the car. Injected 396 with a 4 gear!

[​IMG]

22. brandon

brandon

is this the same car...? brandon:D

Attached Files:

23. No, that was the second Blair's Anglia. The first car is a steel original with a glass front end. They pulled a mold of it and then chopped it for a second mold and that's where the second car came from. That was Phil Luken's (second owner of Blair's ) own car.

24. brandon

brandon

this car...? brandon:D

Attached Files:

25. Nope, that's the same car with different paint, wheels etc.
    It's this one

[​IMG]

26. brandon

brandon

27. ukgav

ukgav

Found this one in my dad's collection.
    Ouch.
    [​IMG]

29. chris gerber

chris gerber
    from N.E. Ohio

Check out the new nostalgia funny cars. Stop by and say hello if you can make one of the races.

Marion County Nostalgia Funny Car Nationals

20+ Funny Cars
    Gassers
    4 Nitro FEDs

http//www.glnfcc.com

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is a split second shot....wow.