Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repower Morris Minor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billshari, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever repowered a Morris Minor? I have access to a Morris Traveler (Woodie) that is in excellent shape. But the anemic 4 cyl is too much to bear. It seems that there is something that can be done.

Bill

2. Easy swap would be a Geo tracker drive train, or a rotary from a Mazda.
    Fun would be a Quad Four.

3. Search jangleguy's posts........his is kinda anemic,not.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

This is a huge deal in the UK - the "classic" repower is Fiat Twin-Cam, but the Rover K-series engine is fast becoming the default engine.

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was Mazda rotary though...

Ned Ludd likes this.

5. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

yep, these little cars have been done many times, Mazda Rotary will fit and it will fly! of course you gotta change the gearbox and rear, fit better brakes etc.
    The existing rack & pinnion steering setup prevents a big engine swap, so unless you wanna do lots of work, stick with a 4.

6. GlenC

GlenC

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

8. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

C'mon guys, is this the HAMB, or what??? A 302 fits in there just fine.

Attached Files:

2many projects and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I was going to put a V860 in a Trav when I was in the UK! A 3/4 scale flathead for a 3/4 scale woody!! ;) ;) :D

bchctybob likes this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thirty five years ago a friend put a Triumph four in one. I think or some other little tea bagger

11. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

ecotech?

bchctybob likes this.
  12. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

A BigTwin S&S mtr. would do the job, and for sure sound better. What think?

scotty t likes this.
  13. Babyearl

Babyearl

Back in '70-'71 I stuffed a 327/glide in a Panel,, narrowed a corvair front end, narrowed a 8 3/4 mopar rearend with n-60 tires inside the body lines. When I stood on it,,it would spin around like the knob on the out house door. Lucky some guy wanted it worse than me. I'd go with a bigger 4 now.

realsteeler and bchctybob like this.
  14. cavman

cavman

In the mid 80's I had a hand in building a panel with a late model Buick GN style 231, turbo 350, and a Monza rear, and a of all things a Chevette frt. Pretty fast little ride. Getting the widshield wipers to work was more challenging.

15. I think any late model 4 cylinder would be cool, but any engine will fit with enough fab work. A friend of mine has a woody wagon with a Datsun 4 cylinder in it as a daily driver. You should put Morris Minor in on You Tube you will find some options there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqsxkDbphQ&NR=1

CBB

16. no55mad

no55mad

Datsun pushrod motor with 5 speed is very popular.

17. 55olds88

55olds88

yup my brother did his with an Old Dato engine about 20 years ago, they pretty much bolt up, think early to mid 70's 4cyl, 120Y etc might even go up to the 180 engines being the same.... thats the easy one but it all depends what you want to do with it. Damn they feel funny with quiet engines and smoth quiet gearchanges :)

18. That is the motor that is in my friends daily driver, A14 Datsun pushrod motor. They came in B210's and were made as 1200's, 1400's and 1500cc motors. It made the car very dependable, Great on gas and easy to get parts for.

CBB

19. Daffy427

Daffy427

I remember a Morris Minor that ran around town with a 440 Dodge in it back in the 70s... I'm sure it had to be a deathtrap but that tells me a small block would work great in there.. Why bother for a 4 cylinder??

caseywheels likes this.
  20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend that is putting a Miata drive train in a Borgward coupe. Lots of racing stuff is available and not too expensive or difficult to find.

21. jangleguy? You out there? Better show em the RIGHT way to do this!

22. Fiat twin cam is a very popular swap,no v8 rumble of course!

23. 49anglia

49anglia

Fine if you dont mind replacing head gaskets.

I'd just build a balls out A series with a charger of some sorts, super prefered but i'd no doubt end up turbo as i understand them better.

50scotbolt likes this.
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you want to keep it powered with a proper product of the mother country you could use a Lotus 907 twin cam 4 valve alloy engine with Hilborn injection and 12.5 to one Ross and Venolia pistons set of each, with Carrillo rods and Crower cams I'm selling my past G/GR Bonneville record motor for $200 here at my house. Needs work but almost all the parts are there.

25. airnwater

airnwater

Had one years back with the nissan/datsun a14 ,5 speed box ,great fun & easy on gas. Even painted the motor original green !
    kept original clutch activation ,original rear end , marina/ital front discs ,original rad,tube shocks all around,think even datsun prop flange matched Minor axle...

Maybe a tuned 1.3 A-series with 5speed Toyota? box a better idea...A- series parts will always be available...

26. k55f5r

k55f5r
    from SoCal

Back in HS, 1970, a friend cut down a '58 Buick frame and set his Morris Minor body on it. The wheels were kinda outboard, but it went like stink.

27. Plan on buying a crank kit for it.
    The yards here are full of them...95% have a thrown rod or spun bearing.
    Now...to go read the links you guys posted.

28. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Don't think Jangleguy has been on here lately but here's a post he made about his before he took it Bonnieville. Most of the pic's are red x's until you get to around page 18 or so. One of the most humourous posts I've seen on here. He may have left the HAMB to get on the stage.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182706&highlight=morris+minor

I had a yellow '59 2-door for a while with smoothies, bigs and littles w/black interior. Fun car.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Ford Pinto, or if you really wanna feel the pain, a Fiat Twin Cam.