Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stockton Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 14, 2007.

1. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Warn the masses..

2. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

wheel smith is definately the way to go...i had my wheels in less than a week

3. onedge

onedge

This has several great people speaking their experience, and wheel company posts up a "cookie cutter reply" that is so ALL OUT TOO FUNNY!
    very very lame...

4. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Wow, what a shit storm! I've been in performance automotive marketing for 30 years and the days of one-way "trust us" marketing is OVER! I confess that I didn't even think about forums like the HAMB til a couple of years ago but they have changed everything about my perceptions and goals for advertising now.

Unlike this case, I've seen a few posts from guys who bitched about a product on here before contacting the vendor to resolve the issue (usually self inflicted dumbness). And the outpour of support for the manufacturer (specially alliance vendors) is immediate and "direct". You can't buy that kind of marketing!

Car magazines have tried for decades to "build communities" of their readers through events and tours but the advertising is golden and untouchable. Even their websites are basically one way.

Magazines are still viable to advertisers because of mobility and customary behavior as long as the current crop of geezers (me) can still climb into their cars. But the web has become the final BS filter from here on.

5. The last big company I worked for,
    had the same attitude as the Big 3,in the early '70s.
    "Doesn't matter what we sell,people will buy it."
    "When in doubt,ship it out."

Eventually they managed to take a $50 million a year company,
    and turn it into a $25 million a year company,in a growing market,
    with a booming economy.

Around 200 people lost their jobs,through no fault of their own.
    eventually,they got bought out by a smaller competitor.

GM used to have over 50% market share,but they kept
    pushing Crap out the door.Most of their stuff is a lot better
    now,but they still don't know how to sell it.Took them how
    many years to build a knock off (HHR) of the PT Cruiser ?
    Surprisingly,they don't sell.

Now the Big 3 combined don't have 50% of the market.
    But the people at the top still get paid.

Moral of the story ?
    Doesn't matter what your name is,or how long you have been in business;
    push Crap out the door long enough,and someone will pay for it.

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Stockton screwed me pretty good before I joined the HAMB - does that count for anything?

I'm late to this thread, but couldn't help hoping that Ryan woulda responded to their lawsuit threat with a 'promise' to take the thread down in 4-5 weeks... unless the centers aren't in stock... or unless the chromer is backed up... or, etc...

Like most, I'm glad to see Stockton post an apology on this board, but I would have to know that they have made real changes within the company before they would ever get my money again. Posting sincere apologies is no better than the multiple sincere promises we all got regarding the status of our orders. They need to tell us specifically what has changed inside the company to make subsequent transactions much less painful than the previous ones, and how they are now re-aligned to focus on the customer sat issues we all experienced.

7. Ryan posted his response,here:

Now he is tied up with more important matters.

Threatening to sue Ryan ?
    HAHAHAHA !!!!!
    Good Fucking luck.

8. caseyajones

caseyajones

Stockton wheel,
    What specific and measurable changes have you made recently concerning this whole issue? If you have indeed made any sort of policy and/or operational changes to address these problems, you certainly can't keep it to yourselves and expect us to "test the waters" again, albeit blindly. People are obviously tired of your nominal level public relations and, historically proven empty words. Why should any of us believe that any of these forum responses hold any value? As a police officer, I know by experience that when someone is found to be guilty of something and is backed up against a wall, they will say absolutely anything to bluff their way out of it. We can't be bluffed off any longer Stockton Wheel. What changes have been made to address these HUGE and long-running customer service issues and what sort of guarantees are you going to start offering your customers? We're all ears.

9. StocktonWheel

StocktonWheel

Dear Casey Jones and fellow HAMB members,
    We have made numerous changes in house starting with sales and customer service as well as shop production and shipping. Please be assured that we are taking the necessary steps to improve our level of customer service and production habits. We will still be running 4-6 weeks out on most in house custom builds and shipping/tracking info will be given at the time the wheels leave via email or phone call, all the sales staff and lead builders have been made aware of this forum and its content and have been given strict guidelines to adhere to.
    Thanks for your interest and we regret any ill feeling

Stockton Wheel

10. 52HardTop

52HardTop

WTF still no signature? Why not put your name to these appologies?
    Dominic

11. low49

low49
    from 209and408

to late your shop sucks.

12. Two words for ya: Wheel Vintiques.

13. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I think they are brothers or something and just as flakey.

-Jason

14. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Wheel Smith SUCKS ASS..... and they are just a short drive from my house and live in the same town.

I've had two sets of wheels go over flawless with Stockton.

15. Trish Davis

Trish Davis
    from Ohio

Hello, SW,
    My name is Trish Davis and on May 1st '08, I ordered 7 16", 6-bolt rims for my Dodge Travco through Laney Tire in East Springfield, Ohio.

We got a couple problems. I say "we" because these are going to become your problems.

First, I neither the owner nor I were told anything about your "pre-pay" policy. But I went ahead and gave Laney Tire (a company I have done business with for years) $1641-and change.

Last Wednesday, June 4th, a day after your company posted this, the owner called me to say that he had been in contact with you and that my wheels would be "another month."
    No reason, no rhyme. Just a[nother] month. Suck it up.

Now I fully understand that 16x6 Travco rims are not your biggest sellers and that 4 to 6 weeks is a reasonable delivery time.

However, another month slapped on to the ass end of '4 to 6 weeks' IS NOT a reasonable delivery time.

So here is what I want.
    Refund ALL my money (it was paid through one of the owners credit cards to whom I gave cash) today, June 10th, 2008.

If I could give that much money, you can just give it back.

Why?
    Because "no reason," because of your "$25 just-'cause fee," because I did not want painted rims to begin with (as Frank said: 'silver, black, or white'), because from what I have read on this thread, Stockton Wheel IS NOT the kind of company I want to do business with.

I already had to spend $250 on a rental vehicle for camping at a hydroplane race, and I'm not going to sit and wait and permit your company to have the use of my money unless I have the use of my rims.

Probably, someone from your office monitors this thread. Good.
    You need to bump my refund and order cancellation request to the top of your queue and none of that "oh we just started them" crap, because if you had, it sure wouldn't take "another month" to finish them.

Nah. Given the overall tone of genuine dissatisfaction evinced here, I want my money today. You can do a charge back (or whatever it's called) and refund the c-card that paid you.

Also, given the overall vagueness of your company's representative's posts, I don't want to conduct this cancellation --and full refund-- this "privately" through PM or e-mail.
    In front of God & Everyone will be fine.

It might go a long way for salvaging your company's reputation.
    I used to work for a company run the way yours obviously is and telling the CS lies I did (y'know -- "company policy" crap) and making up wait times for stuff that hadn't even been ordered leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want to deal with, in any way, another unscrupulous, delay of order is the business of the day, BS company.

Contact me?
    Right here. On this thread.
    Contact Laney Tire?
    Call them. 740-543-3802, speak with Randy, the owner.
    Fax them. 740-543-3592, again, attention Randy.

You need the order numbers? Sure....
    Work order #W-121228
    Invoice # 045124
    Both of these numbers were entered by Frank; in fact, he took the original order.

Sincerely,
    Trish Davis

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I hear lots of the same BS dealing with Edelbrock and some of the bigger name aftermarket guys.

Order something and it takes 2 weeks. Call them in 2 weeks and its pushed back 2 more weeks. Two weeks later... its still 2 weeks.

Once they have your money they don't care. They figure they can string you along enough that by the time you are at your wits end they have your wheels done.

That's the problem in the custom wheel market. If you tell someone right off that it will be 8 weeks to get the wheels, they will go somewhere else. But if you tell them 4 weeks (even when you know it will be 8 weeks) you'll still get the sale and have that persons money... to get the sale you are almost required to lie.

... and that's no way to run a business.

17. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Foul.

I sure understand this company has some very serious work ahead of it. I also understand the bad feeling of possibly getting taken.

But, business needs to be conducted at SW, not on the H.A.M.B. Demanding that they move their business to this board because you have so decided is unreasonable and does more to antagonize an already inflamed situation, rather than resolve it.

Go to SW and talk. Let them know you are in communication through the H.A.M.B. Keep us informed how it goes. But, go to them and talk.

Good luck!

18. Clark

Clark

Most of the lies I heard came directly from the owner...or so I was told. Has he changed his ways?

I was told after the 6 week waiting period and several calls that my wheels were done and would be shipped 2 day air. I called 2 days later to get a shipping number just to see when the wheels would arrive. The answer I got......the wheels were not even started!!! I waited till after the show the wheels were supposed to be for ....maybe another 2 weeks and asked when the wheels would be done. The answer I got.....no clue!!!!! Atleast I didn't get lied to that time.....you guys have NO CLUE!!!

I asked for a refund....did I get it .........NO! I had to sick the credit card company on you. I suggest that anybody needing a refund from them do the same. Save yourself the time and agrivation.
    Clark

19. Trish Davis

Trish Davis
    from Ohio

WoW.
    I just got off the hone with Bobby from SW.

Seems my wheels have not even been started.
    Also seems that the " 'nother month, yes they've been started" that was stated to the dealer last week does not apply.

If I want them, Bobby said it would be "5 months."
    Uhm ... NO.

So, who knows where I can find 16x6 budd wheels with 7 1/4" centers?
    This month. This week would be better, but I'll settle for June.

20. 5window

5window

No I think you're wrong,dude. Individuals have been trying for months-Trish even went through her dealer! Laying things out in the open is the only way this will go anywhere-short of a class action suit. If you can't build a set of wheels in 5 months, when you promised way less,you should not have taken the order to begin with, unless you're into fraud.

The only way SW is going to look better in my book is if they personally contact every outstanding order with a firm build date and ship date. If the client isn't happy with those dates, refund their money on the spot. My guess, they don't have the money or the staff to build the wheels and they're constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul.They ARE maintaining a beautiful website, bringing in the chumps Sad,but you'd have to be crazy to order from these folks and I'd be afraid, if I were a dealer that they'd bring me down, too.

21. Did you get a refund ???

22. StocktonWheel

StocktonWheel

Dear Trish,

I was nothing but honest to you in stating the order status and projected start date and lead time. I regret any past miscommunication when Laney Tire originally inquired on this wheel build. Any negative posts on this forum are unappreciated as we never dealt directly with you. You should contact Laney Tire and as I stated earlier I do regret any miscommunication between us. If our lead time is too lengthy for you then I recommend sourcing these wheels elsewhere.

Sincerely

Bobby

23. StocktonWheel

StocktonWheel

For the record no money was ever taken from Trish Davis or the company she wanted to order these wheels through, Laney Tire.

24. Trish Davis

Trish Davis
    from Ohio

Yep. Wilma (Laney Tire) cut me a check half an hour ago.

25. Trish Davis

Trish Davis
    from Ohio

"He Said /She Said" is such a bad game... it always comes back and someone gets bitten.

Yep, I talked to Laney Tire today. Couple times, actually.
    Wilma (owner) is certain that SW told her week-10 days ago that my wheels HAD been started, but would be "another month," the information Randy (Laney Tire is a family business) relayed to me last Wed, the 4th.

But nope. The wheels had not been started, even though the money was sitting right there, ready to pay for them.

I cannot understand, especially in this economy, why companies go out of their way to alienate customers. Whether with word games, number games or the "He Said /She Said" game, it just does not make sense.
    let alone make money.

But hey.

So I bought 6 wheels from Rickson Tire in Maryland, they'll be in here in about 3 weeks PLUS I got my color choice --flat black.

26. 41woodie

41woodie

I did a little scrounging around on google looking for other folks having problems with Stockton Wheel. In about two minutes I turned up threads running on a VW board, an Off-Road board, a Buick board and the Antique Automobile Club board. Some of these complaints were back as far as 2005. I suppose it's possible that Frank has had an epiphany and will right all of his companies wrongs but I'd say the odds are about the same as Big Brown winning Belmont. It's a pity seeing someone with talent and resources either lose interest in their business or lack the business skills to match their mechanical talent. From the amount of bad press floating around I'd say the problem will resolve itself pretty soon. Too bad, I think that at one time they were producing a decent product.

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Trish,

My guess is that they have enough work to keep them afloat and the new orders that come in replace the orders that are done or have been canceled by dissatisfied customers.

Either that or they have enough money already...

28. keithc

keithc

I have had great service and a great product from Stockton Wheel and would use them again in a heartbeat. The last job they did for me was to widen a pair of Kelsey's for me, job came out sweet and they showed up in a box at my front door when they said they would.

29. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Fuck Stockton Wheel, I have had the same dealings with them.

If anyone gives them another chance they are fools.

This thread should be closed.

30. RacerRick

RacerRick

Has anyone gotten any resolution from the stockton rep that has come on here?