Register now to get rid of these ads!

2008 York NSRA NATS EAST-my photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buildy, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

Hey All,

I just got back from a broiling hot day at the York Meet. There were some nice Hot Rods among the throngs of Street rods.
    I`m adding pictures to the set as I go,and I will be looking thru my photos from past years at York to add to the set.
    One observation I made at York that probably has been discussed before is the aging population of people that are involved in the Hobby. Mobilty scooters were VERY common this year. In a way it is sad,but in another way it is cool they keep on coming out,staying involved. I would hope more young folks would get into rodding,but the focus these days seems elsewere.
    Anyway....Enough of what I have to say....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerracers2000/sets/72157605489729789/

2. Buildy

Buildy

Posted about 20 photos so far and I`m adding more.

3. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the shots. You braved the heat!!:eek:

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If NSRA doesn't do anything to interest the younger hot rod folks or make them feel welcome at their events, they will go elsewhere, and they do. Lucky for all of us there are so many choices nowdays and we hear about the other choices thanks to the internet and sites like the HAMB.

5. Buildy

Buildy

Very good point Denise. I`ve got to say,I had a thousand times more fun at the Jalopy Showdown at Latimore this spring than I did today at York,but I just love taking photos of Hot Rods,even if there are only a few of em at York,the ones that do show up are great to see!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerracers2000/sets/72157605108142098/

The cool thing about Latimore was Guys with cars some would consider GCers showed up,and as far as i know were as welcome as the guys with Trad Rods.
    There doesn`t have to be hate.
    We all love cars.
    Shoot I showed up in my sports car,and I felt welcome to be there,too. Of course it was in the specatator parking area-LOL.

6. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

Like you I have been involved for decades. What bothers me today is the split in the hot rod hobby. I have never, since I discovered the rod-custom-drag race-salt flats hobby in '59, seen any part of it split like this. The "hot rod kulture" seems to voice a lot of criticism of "gold....I mean guys who have been involved long-term...and I have heard guys my age speak badly of the "rat...I mean "vintage rod" movement. The truth is, in my opinion, that we have the same passion for personalizing cars, that we should be brothers.

I guess I have to say that, old or young, whenever you call another group names, and think you are the "expert" about what is correct.....you are only hurting rodding. We all need to allow others to build their car, with their money, the way they want it.....without pronouncing it good or bad. We can be a part of making the hobby bigger....or damaging it. Next time you or I voice criticism for others, shame on us!

7. Buildy

Buildy

"Thanks for the shots. You braved the heat!!:eek:"

I was done by 1:00 PM or so. When I got home it was right into the shower for me! I told the wife all I did was walk around taking pictures,but I was sweated up like if I was out running or something.
    The best light for photos is in the morning or later in the day-Noon to about 4 or 5 this time of the year is crappy for good photos.

Remember-it`s not the Heat-it`s the humidity-LOL.

Also-Black cars can be a bitch to get decent photos of at High Noon-LOL
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. yekoms

yekoms

Buildy, Thanks for the pics. I was there Friday. It seemed to me a good mix of cars. I noticed a fair amount of new cars. I meen cars that were just finished this year.
    Hotrodpaint, Your correct. I'm 48 and like all types of cars and car events. They all have their own "personalities" if that makes sence.
    I have good friends on both sides of the "split"and about half of them won't even think about the other side of the "split".
    It's like those little window stickers with the kid peein' on the other brand's logo.
    One of my friends that does like it all says "They are all the same,lift their skirts and they are all sisters"
    Have fun,Smokey

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Thanks for the pics, Tony........some really nice stuff that you captured......

I just can no longer blow up there for one day from where I live at the Jersey Shore......it's 3 hours up, walk and look for 4-6 hours, and then 3 hours home......and it's tough driving.......any time you have to navigate the Philly area to get past it and make it home on a Friday or Sturday night you get caught up in the Shore traffic heading down.........it can be excruciating.......
    not mention hot and frustrating.......

At least it didn't rain at York as it usually does!

Brucie

10. you can always lay over in HATBORO my door is always open!

11. Buildy

Buildy

You`re welcome Brucie! Glad you guys like the photos.

I`ll be adding more for awhile yet....

12. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I was there Thursday-Saturday,selling stuff,I had a good time but it would be nice if they loosened up a little.Bring the camping back!!!Anyways it was HOT.I loaded the trailer and came home today.I'll be back next year.Alot of nice quality cars there.Eli's 32 that looks like a jeepster is the coolest.You either like it or hate it.I saw lots of people scratcing their heads.I wish I had pics.Red with a white top.

13. Buildy

Buildy

Didn`t it used to be more fun at York??? I`ve been going since I guess 1980-whenever it started being at York instead of Timonium MD.
    I don`t think it is my imagination. Didn`t seem like anything was going on at all today at the show....

I mean I only live 15 mins from the fairgrounds,so if there are any Hot Rods there,I`m gonna go see!

I think they shot themselves in the foot when they cut out camping,too.
    There aren`t near as many cars at York anymore despite what they try to say. I figure maybe 3-4 thou this year- It used to be 5.....

14. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

I don't think anything could be fun in that heat today.I brought my 7 yr old son w/ me but had to take back home to his mothers after a couple of hours,it was just to hot! I did enjoy seeing some trad rods despite the heat.

15. Buildy

Buildy

Yup,

It was Damn HOT and Sunday is supposed to be even hotter.....

16. mongo51

mongo51

I love both sides of the spectrom. But I'd like to the NSRA open up a little more and allow a few more years of cars join in the fun.Just my two pennies.

17. Buildy

Buildy

You know that is a good Idea. What would be wrong with say,going to 1957 as a cut-off???

18. Buildy

Buildy

"Alot of nice quality cars there.Eli's 32 that looks like a jeepster is the coolest.You either like it or hate it.I saw lots of people scratcing their heads.I wish I had pics.Red with a white top."

I saw it but didn`t shoot it today. I`m pretty sure some folks posted photos of it at the Showdown.....<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

19. 5window

5window

Funny, my buddy and I commented on the age thing,too. Lots of old timers-plenty of battery scooters-like Walmart, and even a few handicap parking stickers hanging from rearview mirrors. Most of the kids I saw were probably grandchildren.

We got there at 8:45 and I walked around to 4. But I made more trips than usual back inside. One thermometer set up in the sun said 112. Hot enough.

My general impression was just about as many cars as the last few years, but 5-10&#37; fewer vendors. One wing of the old display building was about empty. I hear from a vendor that they wanted about $3600 for a 30' area. If that's true, it's hard to believe that smaller guys can make it happen. Between gas,travel,food, higher entrance fees and fewer cars and vendors,and age, I think NSRA had better rethink things pretty quickly for the future.

I saw some great cars and had a fine time. But I also wonder when some of those paint colors became hot rods and how on Earth a chrome script "Streetrod" on your car ever became cool. Oh,well, to each his own-and untilnext year---

20. Buildy

Buildy

Snippets of conversation I heard were words like "blood pressure,Hospitals etc. I guess it has been getting older for awhile,but it really hit home with me this year. I wonder what the age of the average participant is now.
    Hey,some of those guys tear around on those scooters though,I guess it never gets out of your system-LOL.

I mean it is coming up pretty soon for me,too... I`m 51,to the kids out there I am some old fossil myself.
    But I`m much younger than the rodders from the 50s 60s even 70s....
    I just wonder where things are heading if they don`t get some more kids involved soon.

21. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

.........'cause they only make "pre-'48" fiberglass kit cars. :D

22. Buildy

Buildy

" But I also wonder when some of those paint colors became hot rods and how on Earth a chrome script "Streetrod" on your car ever became cool. Oh,well, to each his own-and untilnext year---"

I saw one that will really get you going-It was a 32,and on the headlight bracket was a chromed dollar sign....<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. 5window

5window

At least it wasn't billet:) Did you see the motor in the hot rod Bugatti? And that #32 old time rescued Deuce track racer had a crowd around it every time I passed. I guess I am old(59) but I really most enjoyed the one-off brands and the cars that obviously had some homemade parts or at least homemade thought behind an original use of store parts. There were some beautifully constructed rods there that you could tell had been expensively and professionally built using all standard of the shelf items. Nice to look at,I admire the craftsmanship-which I admit I can't duplicate-but no hot rod soul.

24. Buildy

Buildy

I have some photos of that Track racer from York. It also was at Latimore for the showdown,and runs there every Aug at the Williams Grove oldtimers convention.

I didn`t look at that Bugatti-it is a kit-what engine is in there? Guess I should have looked at it-LOL.

My tastes have evolved over the years. In the 80s billet seemed kind of cool. It got old really fast,though. Just not my thing.
    I like the real cars. I can apreciate the quality of some of those kit cars,but still they just don`t do it for me.....

Hey,I don`t know if I just wasn`t looking,but i didn`t see any crying Baby dolls on cars for the first time in years. Is that thing finally over???

25. 27Tudor

27Tudor

It was for F-ing hot I had to cool off in the womens pavillion (really, that why I was there, I swear!). Thank God I didn't let my 10 year old daughter come this year because she would have started complaining about the heat the second we stepped out of the car.

Speaking of off-brands, I noticed a lot of the big early Studebakers this year. My vote for the ugliest car there had to be the "spray chrome" car in silver and magenta. To me, the great thing about this show is that there are so many cars there you can look at what you like and walk by the rest.

26. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Sweet, thanks.

27. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Glad I packed up the trailer and came home.I did good but there were alot of empty swap meet spots.Now I'm sitting in the garage,trying to figure out what to do.Work on the 56 or the 29.I'll probably put the ac in the garage.The chrome magneta car was awful.Some of the street rod stuff is really nice and clean and look good but some people ruin the looks of the car with some goofy paint or some ugly wheels.To each their own I guess.I'll still brave the Heat and go up.The swap meet spots are $76.00 now and admission is $14.00.If they would lower some fees and loosen up a little the attendence would increase.I enjoyed myself,seeing the people I only see up there and the ones I always see.

28. Buildy

Buildy

I`m in process of adding some more pics from York.

I`d go back today,but not sure I can hack the heat again-LOL.

29. 5window

5window

I didn't see any baby dolls,either. Just one stuffed hand coming out from a pick-up bed.

The Bugatti had a huge,old straight eight motor in it that said "Bugatti" on it, so I assumed it was. Didn't look like any American engine and it was age appropriate, kit or not.

Oh, the spray on chrome car was an interesting effect that I didn't care for,but still admire the guy for trying something different.

30. Koz

Koz

I was at York Saturday only with my trad. roadster. It wasn't bad on the way down from Pottsville, (95 miles), at 6:00 in the morning but the way home at about 5:00 was brutal. I saw some some unbelievable creativity on some stuff that was new this year. You are always going to have the bellybutton cars but stuff like the super low grey primered Model A (I think) was just too excellent. There was a green blue 34 coupe, super channeled crusing around but I never did find it parked. All in all not that bad except for the heat which you can't blame the NSRA for. I like the 48 cut off with maybe a special parking area for up to 62. Usually letting latter models in results in camaros and mustangs not far behind, i.e. fall Wildwood. Which brings me to part two, anybody going to the Boardwalk run September 18 to the 21st. I,ll be at the American Safari, Tihitian Red roadster.