Register now to get rid of these ads!

39-40 decklid louvers questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clemdaddy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

I would like to get 6 rows of louvers punched in my 39 ford coupe decklid. There is a massive inner structure that would get in the way. I am figuring the inner structure will have to be cut out along the yellow line that is drawn on the photo and then replaced after the louvers are done.
    My questions are... will the lid lose it's shape and strength without the inner structure there? can straight rows of louvers be punched in a compound curved decklid? and does the punching process distort the metal so that replacing the inner structure will be difficult?
    Anybody out there done this before. Any advice about where I want to cut it out. Anyone want to punch those louvers after I cut the support out or know who might. I need the hood punched with a matching set of 6 rows too...

Thanks, Clem

Attached Files:

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Too bad you don't have a sedan, I have a nice decklid with louvers for one of them. Looks like they did, basically, what you are suggesting doing to yours for access. I'm thinking that, if I can't sell the lid, maybe I can cut it and make it fit my coupe lid. :eek:
    I also got a nice hood with 166 louvers already punched. That's the only way I would put a hood on my coupe. Good luck with yours, Mike

Attached Files:

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

will the lid lose it's shape and strength without the inner structure there?

Yes, it will

can straight rows of louvers be punched in a compound curved decklid?

Yes again

and does the punching process distort the metal so that replacing the inner structure will be difficult?

Sometimes it can depending on how large the louvers are lengthwise and how many of them you have in the panel. For ex. I have done several model A visors which have a natural curve in them when installed. After punching one sometimes the louvers put a rigidness in the visor that wasnt there before which causes the panel to slightly straighten out. Picture a large piece of thin sheet metal...then run it through a bead roller and put a couple long lines it it. What happens...the panel stiffen up. It's the same when putting louvers into something. That's why it can sometimes get a little tricky when doing shit with curves in it. A hood skin doesn't move around too much to the point that re-attaching the inner structure is a problem

Any advice about where I want to cut it out. Anyone want to punch those louvers after I cut the support out or know who might.

Have whoever is goin to weld it up cut the inner framework out initially. If you don't, you'll hear pissing and moaning from the welder about how it should of been cut out here and not there...blah blah blah..etc....haha....If you are doing the cutting and welding yourself then never mind.

If I was closer I'd punch them for ya..

Good Luck!!

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think if I were going to have louvers punched in a compound curved deck lid I'd take a look at the work done by the operator to see for yourself an example of how it might come out. then, I think I'd have whoever is doing the louvers do the whole operation (cutting, punching, welding) so the work is consistant. "Too many cooks spoil the pot", it's am old saying which is true but it also gives too many outlets for blame for the finished job.

Frank

5. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

Thanks Mike... your hood looks just like the one I want and if you happen to know who punched your decklid, please let me know.

Sounds like good advice Frank. Since I live in NW Arkansas I will probably have to crate and ship the hood and decklid a pretty fair distance to get this done, and I'm early on with this project so there's plenty of other things for me to be doing.

Appreciate your suggestions guys, Clem

6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Sorry man, nobody knows who did the louvers. The hood, decklid and a set of fenders were all stashed in the back of a sandblasters place for some years. I got a tip from a fellow Poor Boy about the parts and went and bought them. Whoever it was that punched them did a great job. Mike

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I remember reading an article about Earle Bruce's 40 Coupe. In it, he said that louvered decklid(by VonDutch) was one of the most difficult metal working things done to do on the car.

8. Packrat

Packrat

I know a gentleman in Ozark, Mo. that punched the louvers in my '57 hood. If you need, p.m. me and I'll give you his phone number and address.

9. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

BTTT

looking for a louver puncher willing to help.
    post or pm me.... I've decided to try to find someone to take on the whole project if possible. cut out the support, punch 6-9 rows of 3" louvers and weld support back in. Clem

10. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

i did ny sedan decklid and punched the hell out of the hood,even took the rear brace out and put 4 rows on each side. of coarse the outside row only had 5 louvers. never distorted either one. 40 decklid shouldnt be any differant,if it does distort, when you put the brace back in it should pull it back.you never know what you can do till you try.go for it.how many other 40 decklids have a ---tpot full of louvers.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Don't weld that brace back in with the deck off the car. You'll need to have it in place and mounted to make sure the gaps will be consistent before you weld it in crooked. May need to tack it into place while laying on your backside, inside the trunk.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are going to cut out that support you would be miles ahead to cut between the holes that are already there. the way you have it marked you are looking at 15 feet of welding. cut it out differently and you cut that down to 4 or 5 feet.

plan your layout first, then cut where needed to clear. maybe make some compromises of how many louvers VS how much cutting and welding.

depending on how you cut the support you will lose minmal strength and shouldn't hurt anything for the short time it is torn apart

13. PM Louverdude, and CharlieChops here on the board.

14. Clem - sent you a PM about louvers.

Charlie

15. Packrat

Packrat

Hey Clem, I finally sent you the names and numbers of a couple of guys not TOO far from you. Sorry it took so long. By the way, I've seen a couple of bangngears cars, they are VERY nice. His shop and cars would be a good magazine article.