Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

What size are your tires?

2. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Damn , nice going finding a cross refrence on the springs . I need some for my 65 Impala. Nice car man.

hawksrod likes this.
  3. Gasser57

Gasser57

I just ordered the springs and shocks today. pretty cheap at Auto Zone. Hope to be scraping around town soon. Thanks again for the tip.

4. deluxester

deluxester

That's excellent. Thank you.

5. kustombypook

kustombypook

Dude. You rule. Will be lowering my Edsel soon.

6. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

What year?

My '59 Villager Wagon is waiting to hear how this turns out.

7. 55olds88

55olds88

good skills, I heard the same for mid 50's Olds with aussie Falcon v8 springs, wouldn't be surprised if they are the same as 69-72 or so Mustang.....

8. kustombypook

kustombypook

59 Ranger 4 door.

9. Me and Bugger lowered his 50 Merc with those springs,last weekend. It lowered the front about 2 1/2 to 3". It rides great now. And looks awesome.

edsel likes this.
  10. Great, I'm looking to drop my '53 Vic and my '52 Merc. Thanks

11. lowmaster

lowmaster

Is the overall height of the Aerostar spring lower than stock ford springs or just a lighter weight coil? Wonder if they would work if you already had those spacer blocks under the spring plate? I have spacers on my 49 but the old springs are sagging on one side. I'm thinking if I use the Aerostars I'll have to remove the blocks right?

12. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

The overall height is actually shorter on the Aerostar springs. They have the same number of coils if I remember correctly, but they are closer together, which makes them a couple of inches shorter if compared side by side.

13. JEPPA

JEPPA

Thanks a milllion!

[​IMG]

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

77 Monte carlo shocks are perfect for this application,, the only thing you have to do is drill new mounting holes 90 degrees from stock holes.

I used them on our Shoebox, fit great, and dont bottom out

15. Anyone going to start selling $150 3" drop springs on eBay and shipping Aerostar springs to the buyers?

16. mykwillis

mykwillis

sure, i guess i'll take one for the team. :D

Kodak Jack likes this.
  17. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Maybe I should put one of those ads on Ebay where you bidding in "information that will allow you to lower the front of your 49-59 Ford up to 3 inches" for a fraction of the cost of retail parts."

That thought actually crossed my mind when I first posted this, but it's more fun just to share the info. Of course, that was before I got laid off from my job, so I might need to order some springs and get started!

18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Maybe someone can school me on this...the rockauto specs for stock front shocks are:

stock PN 5751, threaded upper and lower mount
    <table class="text" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><center> Compressed Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">8.500" </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Extended Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">13.750" </td> </tr></tbody></table></td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Travel </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">5.250"</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    the suggested Monroe PN 5821 have a crosspin lower mount and are for front 75-80 skyhawk or a chevy monza 71-70 vega, 75-80 olds starfire, 73-77 pont. aspre, 88 fiero, 76-80 pontiac sunbird all front:
    <table class="text" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><center> Compressed Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">8.000" </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Extended Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">11.750" </td> </tr></tbody></table></td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Travel </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">3.750"</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>and the other suggested 77 monte carlo shocks are crosspin lower mount and PN 5840

<table class="text" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><center> Compressed Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">8.750" </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Extended Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">13.250" </td> </tr></tbody></table></td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Travel </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">4.500"</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

I also found a 5829, which is for 80-83 cordova 83-89 5th ave 76-80 aspen 77-89 caravelle
    Has the matching size stem mount for '51 Ford

<table class="text" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><center> Compressed Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">7.125" </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Extended Length </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">10.750" </td> </tr></tbody></table></td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td> <center> Travel </center></td></tr><tr> <td align="center">3.625"</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Now I'm looking at the Monroe parts catalog,

and then my head exploded.

I've looked at threads on selecting shocks...it still doesn't make sense...anybody got a suggestion?!?:confused::eek::cool:

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nevermind, apparently you already saw it. :)

20. T-Bone

T-Bone

Are the stock spring really all the same on Fords and Mercs 49-59?

21. mark53

mark53
    from NEW YORK

thanks for the tip cank wait to rebuild the front end

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

So I measured my shocks, and the installed length is 11". If I install the PN 5821 that has the 11.75" extended length, isn't that going to self destruct on my car? That car comes 2800-3000# from the factory, close to the 3100# shoebox.

The monte is 3800# and has 1/4" higher compressed length compared to the Monza shock but 4.5 " of travel, right in the middle between the stock shock and the Monza

Da Tinman told me on his car they ride like a caddy but are stiffer than stock. I'm not surre if his car is lowered but I'd have to think it is. I guess I'm going to get under there and check the compressed and extended lengths tomorrow.

I just wish I knew how to interpret and analyze the shock data.

23. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I was wandering the same thing.........

24. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Sweet! I'll be doing this to the front of my '50 Merc. Still can't figure out what 143 means...anybody figure out a lowering leaf spring for the back?

25. Most people stick a $20 lowering block in there.

26. 143 is gangsta slang for "i love you"

fo sho.

tok

27. deluxester

deluxester

Thank you very much you guys.

I just installed a new pair and they fit perfect. This saved me alot of time and I can enjoy my car right away. The height is ok for now but I might add plates at the lower A frames or flip spindles in the future.

28. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Installed 'em on what?

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Looks like he put them on a 50 ford.

What do you mean by "plates at the lower A frame or flip spindles?

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

lowering plates/spacers on lower a arm to lower spring perch...not great for ride...and flipping the spindles, look in tech section theres a great explanation there..need to have a torch to do a little bending to get it to align when you're done but it don't cost nuthin