Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will it all die and go away.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PapaG, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

chris i have to agree with you lol

2. Pacer

Attached Files:

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have one.

4. Well, they're cooler than a Japanese or Korean car. I wish that was saying something though.

5. hemi

hemi

I want a '73 Toyota Corolla. Japanese cars from the 70's are the next big thing.....

[​IMG]

6. jimmyv

jimmyv

Back in the early 80's a friend of mine had a Maverick "Grabber" it was a factory V8 car with a scoop.

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

UnIOnViLLEHauNT wrote:
    Lack of subcategory forums and a moderator to place topics into specialized categories gets things all dumped into one big melting pot....aka, H.A.M.B. :) That's the downside, the upside is that you don't have to read a topic you're not interested in. You can just move on down the list. Bad side is when the list has nothing of interest to you.:mad: Nearly all items are relative to vehicles, just some are really a stretch.

8. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Never!

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

The GT350 was obviously a clone...I guess I could have mentioned that, but figured everyone would KNOW that. It had Pony interior, the correct drivetrain, a Shelby 289 out of a wrecked fastback...etc.. still worth good money with all the transplanted Shelby and GT350 stuff. I will be sure to state in the future when ANY car I'm talking about is or was modified or otherwise not completely original.

As far as the Z28, I was never really into them. I know that the VIN was a Z28 VIN, but the engine could have been a transplant. Wasn't my car, I knew I passed on it for a reason. Besides, It would STILL be worth $100K or more. My point was that we got rid of stuff back in the day before we knew what it would be worth. Good job at paying attention, you passed...you want a GOLD STAR? :D

10. If the demand is there and I suspect it will be, look for places like Brookville to expand and competitors with good quality bodies to come into being.

11. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I can't speak for the Goat, but for the Camaro, I had a 1969 Camaro SS/RS Convertible with a 350, so the next step to a Z28 doesn't seem too far fetched.
    And to anyone who might say there were no 67 Camaro SS's with fold down back seat and tilt steering never saw mine.
    Sorry, the muscle-car in me got out for a minute there, he's back in his box...lol

Now, on the 'cars changing for resto' thing, my brother drug out from his backyard his 1975 AMC Gremlin. He is the first owner and had ordered it special. 304 V8, 4 speed manual, posi-rear end. For what it was, it hauled a$$.
    I asked him, "Youre not gonna resto that thing are you?" to which he replied, "Dont have a choice, cars like yours are too far and few between on my income."
    Point taken.
    With that said, CHECK OUT THIS WHEELSTAND!!....a Gremlin no less...lol
    [​IMG]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

12. Buzznut

Buzznut

BTW: Keep in mind that back then (just as there are many today) I was a 20 something year old know-it-all, bad attitude, no one could tell me nothing punk... the seller could have told me it was an original 396 Z28 and I would have been none-the-wiser.

We didn't have access to all the info back then that we do now. These days a search on Google will get you option codes with VINS and production numbers along with how many are currently registered in each state by color. Back then you had to ask dad, read a mag or hope the local grease monkey had the answer....

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Hmmm. A "clone" of a car that was never built. Yeah...that's real obvious. ;)

Not even on a cold day in Hades. Well, O.K., if it was at Barrett-Jackson...maybe. :D

Yes, thank you. :p

This puts into perspective that many of those cars back in the day were NOT as great as we like to remember and are NOT worth all that much now, either...especially non-correct, non-matching numbers musclecars and ponycars.

Now, we take you back to your regularly scheduled traditional hot rodding programming.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The more things change....the more they stay the same......

Hemi......I like how you think.:)

15. Poor Ryan would never have a life if he had to moderate everything;)

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

He could fake having a life...isn't that what most of us do anyway?

17. autobilly

autobilly

There orta be a law!

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

I see the '63 to '67 or so Mopars, the '60 to '72 Chevy and Ford trucks and such neglected 60's vehicles as being the next BIG feeding frenzy with those who have money to buy and build...not the 20 year olds, but the 30 plus guys looking to get in without killing the checkbook.

With the 20 year old guys (not HAMBERS obviously) I see them building their tuners. Not sure who will be buying the 80's so called "performance" cars, but I'm sure they will find an audience as well. The main problem being the requirement to SMOG them of course...

19. Mopar34

Mopar34

It's amazing how some of the ugliest cars can eventually become highly desirable by someone who would never have bought them when new.:eek::D

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

Talk about one of the COOLEST ugly cars ever:

[​IMG]

21. hemi

hemi

[​IMG]

The 510 is the new 32 Ford/57 Chevy/69 Camaro... just you wait and see.

22. your a sick man Brandon..........at least keep it american :D.........like the Vega

Attached Files:

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That 510 kicks ass! Green paint, rollbar, Panasports....I'd rally that in a heartbeat.

24. hemi

hemi

1st Generation Celicas are hot, too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But don't get mad at me... the invasion has already begun! (yes I know it's an old pic and he has since removed the roof...)

[​IMG]

25. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

I still wanna drop/chop a 1952 Volvo Sport.
    [​IMG]

While on the subject, PapaG reminded me of the Morris Minor, another pretty cool foreign car.

26. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

what happened at temple this weekend? Import meet or somethin?

27. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

OLD Skool Rotaries.......................

28. 49coupe

49coupe

Things have changed, but I think generally stuff is better preserved today than in the past. The price of scrap is having an effect, but lets face it, there are more obstacles today to a kid building a hot rod or custom. Those with means can afford to play in the hobby. At least up in Toronto, Ontario, here's what you are facing

Income: People today make less than their parents did 20 years ago in real dollars.
    Laws: You can't have an unlicensed car in your driveway, everything is an environmental hazzard.
    Storage: parking spots are scarce. I rent a 1.5 car garge for $100 a month across town and I stole it. They would get 200-250 all day long.
    Insurance: a 20 something male with a couple of tickets - $3-5K per year.
    Gas - $5 a gallon
    Project costs - Anything decent brings high $$.
    etc. etc.

So how the hell is a young person making $8.00 an hour going to college/university which now costs 400% more than it did 10 years ago going to afford a hot rod and a place to keep it....they can't. If they're lucky enough to be able to afford a car with their parents help it will likely be a 10 year old Honda POS 4 dr with a fiberglass ground kit and a fart can muffler. That's reality up here. Nothing about this hobby is cheap anymore. That's why Vespas are cool. In my day, and I'm only 38, you would have gotten your ass kicked in high school for being the looser who drove a Vespa.:( How times have changed.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Too bad there wasn't a HAMB 35 or so years ago.

I'd love to read the ramblings of the guy that just traded his Cobrajet Torino in for a brand new Pinto...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.