Register now to get rid of these ads!

ful pump repair / chemical compatibility question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, May 28, 2008.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

ok, so after driving her daily for nearly 6 months now, the falcon let me down for the first time today. On the way to work, she just up and died. I assumed it was the points and went ahead and called AAA. I needed to just get into work, thought I would mess with it later.

While loading it onto the wrecker, I noticed a fuel leak. I determined that the on suction side of the pump where the barb is pressed into the pump body, the barb has simply come out. So the pump was pumping air.

So, I figure I'll just press the little sucker back on, and be good as new. However there is really no way to swedge the tube to prevent it from coming lose again. I thought about using loc-tite, but I am not sure about its compatibility with fuel. Somehow I think its a bad idea.

I thought I might use permetex #2 instead. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone?

Thanks

Bentley

2. Red Loc-tite will probably hold it but you need to let it get cured before pouring the fuel to it.
    JB weld is also pretty fuel proof.

So you are goung to spend anywhere from 7 to 12 bucks to replace a 15 dollar pump?

Just curious.

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

show me where I can find one that cheap, let alone here in town to get my daily running again, and I will gladly buy it.

Last time I checked the rebuild kits for them were $35, and the pump nearly $60

4. BigChief

BigChief

Which 60 dollar pump are you using that has pressed in fittings? The better pumps all have tubing and/or pipe thread inlet/outlet ports.

5. Fogger

Fogger

Replace the pump and be confident you won't get stranded. I had an old Delco 40083 on my roadster that started leaking. That model has 2 vent holes next to the pushrod chamber and thats where the fuel was coming from. Pulled it apart and the diaphragm was cracked. Don't know if it was age or the fuel, but I found a new one on the net for 25.00. You might check with [email protected], they list numerous new and rebuilt pumps. Good luck, The FOGGER