Register now to get rid of these ads!

jicks 28/29 coupe project.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jick, May 27, 2008.

1. jick

jick
    from london

Finally! its arrived!
    collected my Coupe from the shippers at the weekend and spent a few days sorting out my new workshop...........
    the only downside is that its 130miles from where i live, so progress will be slow. i've been a member of this forum for 3 or 4 years , but now i can really join in.

cheers......jick (London UK)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. jick

jick
    from london

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. when you take your first ride in it youll love it tim

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome start man. Your shop may be 130 miles away but at least its a nice space. I can't wait to start seeing some progress!!!

5. jick

jick
    from london

cheers dude......i just had a look at your blog (which is a great piece of work!) and the weird thing is the 5 gauges i have in my cabinet were the first things i got for the coupe and they've set the tone for the build.....they're from a 1960 speedboat with pearl blue faces with a real jetsons space age kinda look.

6. sodas38

sodas38

Way cool. Good to see guys on the other side of the pond chasing Ford's tin. From what I've seen over there you guys understand whats going on. Just something about sitting inside an old car like that. Keep posting progress we all love to see it!!

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jick, That name on the door of your Coupe looks kind of familiar!!!How much is it chopped by?Nice to see another ''A'' Coupe under way.I Bloody love Model ''A'' Fords.Nice Coupe!

8. Jick, I see Weber 48 IDA's, and original Roberta Street EMPI stuff..
    Seems like maybe you know a bloke named Keith Seume, or maybe Ivan MacCutcheon...or how about Michael Liddle? Or maybe Bernie Newbury? :cool:
    I used to work for the US magazines, and contributed to Ultra and Volksworld, as well.
    Nice Coupe, have fun with the build...

9. jick

jick
    from london

yeah, Geordie Paul handled the shipping for me, i've seen your coupe in Custom Car recently....it looks great, thanks dude. oh, its chopped 4 1/2inches.

10. jick

jick
    from london

yeah! i know ALL those guys, particularly Lids, we've been mates for 20 years.
    i also have a 1959 old school cal look/gasser bug, which should be finished this summer.
    [​IMG]

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jick, Your Bug looks Bloody killer from that small pic.I think I'm going to chop me ''A'', wasn't going to,But you know how it is!Maybe not as much as yours thought.Are you going to channell your ''A''?What motor you planning on runnin'? Thanks for the kind words about my P.O.S.!!!!

12. pecker head

pecker head

Suite ! 28-29's RULE !

13. jick

jick
    from london

thanks dude......i'm not gonna channel it, i dont like the way a lot of chopped AND channelled cars look.....too skinny from the side, i love a channelled stock height car though....its a great look.....also i'm about 6,2" and might struggle to fit in it.
    i aready have a nice running `53 EAB flathead that just needs some dual carbs,new heads and a detail.
    i'm hoping to find a few bits to buy at Billing this weekend....:)

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jick, I'm going to Billing this weekend.Maybe see you there.Look out for the FAT,BALD Bloke!!!!!!I'll see Geordie and get him to point you out to me,so I can bother you.Later Man.

15. jick

jick
    from london

ha! fat bald bloke at a hotrod show......you'll stand out a mile away;)

16. jick

jick
    from london

progress so far.....subrails repaired both sides in rear wheel wells, both doors repaired.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jick

jick
    from london

[​IMG]

18. jick

jick
    from london

removed the poorly tack welded roof insert, as the roof above the door/rear quarter was collapsing and sitting about 30mm lower than it should.
    i then found that the roof section over the drivers door had been replaced with a tudor panel (i think?) as it was about 40mm wider than it should have been.

got the roof structure back into the correct shape on the passenger side, cut&shut the other side roof panel to the correct dimensions and began on the new roof insert.

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Nice work Man,Keep it up!

20. jick

jick
    from london

okay, so i could have ordered up a kit of new wooden roof bows etc, but i found a pile of old oak flooring in the next barn....so i thought i'd make up my own, that's what hod-rodding is all about isn't it?
    the barn also yeilded some chicken wire.......an afternoon of work and its looking much better already.
    got some pearl white vinyl on the way to cover it with.(was gonna go diamond pleated, but have a new idea now to be a little more individual)
    [​IMG]

21. jick

jick
    from london

scored a few parts recently too, nice pair of Buick front drums and some other small chassis parts....i'm hoping to get the body in primer before the end of the summer......maybe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. jick

jick
    from london

thanks dude!

how's yours coming along? is it going as planned? there's a real shortage of nice 60's style A's on the road.....i'm looking forward to seeing yours.

cheers....jick

23. pecker head

pecker head

24. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Slowly!I've finished the welding underneath,start on the chassis next.It will hopefully be on the road next year.What chassis are you planning on using agian?I remember you said you weren't going to channell it.Going to the Hayride next month?

25. jick

jick
    from london

i have a near perfect original A frame, i'm just going to step it in the rear and box it, its gonna be a highboy, i'm 6'2" so i want to be able to fit in it okay and i just dont like the look of a real skinny front seat sat flat on the floor.....without even going into the comfort issue....
    i'm going to the hayride for sure......really looking forward to it!

do i remember correctly that you're going metallic or 'flake black on your coupe? i like the sound of that!

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Yes,Flake Black but only if and when finances allow!!!Hope to go to the hayride this year, it'll be the first time for me.On the issue of tallness, Mt brother in law(Mercurial) was all set for buying Geordie's '32 Truck.He tried just sitting in Mark Gee's channlled '32 truck there was no way he'd fit in geodie's truck.He's 6' 4'',I did offer to remove his legs for at no cost to him I might add,but ho declined the the offer!!!!!Keep us posted on the progress, it spurs me on!

27. jick

jick
    from london

i need some advice from anyone with more experience than myself with the back end of my coupe.....the left side rear quarter is about 40mm out on the trunk line.....the panel can be pulled back into line but it sure as hell wont stay there......how can i get it back into shape permanently??
    when i put a new lower panel in place will that help hold it???
    [​IMG]

28. jick

jick
    from london

i really like your paint idea......doing things with a bit of a twist on the traditional really appeals to me.....haven't seen a black flake car before.
    as for your brother-in-law.......thats just a lack of commitment to the cause!

29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jick,mine's the bloody same!I plan on when I finish the trunk floor adding some braces from the edge of the decklid opening down to the boot floor, once the thing is pulled back into shape.There are braces that go down from that area down verticaly to the trunk floor sudrail area.Are these in place?I wonder because I removed mine and think that might a bit to do with the movement(Could be wrong thought)Hope this of some use to you.GOOD LUCK.

30. jick

jick
    from london

i suspected it might be a normal problem....the stock bracing was there(just!)...i've carefully removed it.....i was going to put in some heavier bracing running from the very back end going forward to the back seat area and put in a crossbar there to tie it together.....then reinstate the stock stuff.
    mine was used to haul rocks around a Nevada farm for decades....maybe that didn't help!