Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy valve cover--dimensions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitarguy, May 26, 2008.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

Hi all, hope you can help me. I am looking for the dimensions of a typical 4 bolt SBC valve cover. I need both outside flange measurments and center to center dimensions on the bolt pattern (bothe width and length). Thanks in advance.

2. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

Measuring inside the valve cover gasket surface.
    19.5” X 5” outside dimensions

<o:p> </o:p>
    [[<-3”->O<-4.5”->O<-4.25”->O<-4.5”->O<-3”->]]

where O= bolt hole

[​IMG]

3. guitarguy

guitarguy

Im having a little trouble understanding your bolt spacing, i went and meaured what im working with, maybe you can still help or someone else will chime in?

My bolt spacing is as follows, these are the on center of the hole measurements-- 3 7/8" x 8 7/8"

My overall dimension is 4 7/8" x 20"---this is a little rough on this one because the flange edge it actrually turned at the edge a little.

My main concern at the moment is the bolt spacing---and no in case your wondering, this is not a small block chevy head im working with.

4. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

Sorry!!! Here in Texas SBC stands for Small Block Chevy. I gave you the measurements for a 1987 up 4-Bolt SBC valve cover.

Good luck. Maybe a posted picture would help us inderstand what your trying to accomplish.:confused:

5. What else does SBC stand for?

6. i'm sure if you ask around you could find a SBC valve cover to borrow...then you can measure all you want. most guys that mess with chevies will have several sets hanging on the wall...in fact, in some states it's against the law not to have a pair of valve covers

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

why would you want SBC bolt spacing if your not working with an SBC head?

post #3 says your not working with an SBC head.. Title says you need Chevy valve cover dimensions

im confused

are you still selling that cadillac jack that you want to keep?

8. kustombypook

kustombypook

There have been a lot of stupid questions and requests here lately from a lot of people who have no idea about cars nor should they even be allowed around cars. Couldn't The HAMB have some kind of entrance exam you have to pass before you can join to weed out the idiots? Just a thought.

9. This guy's new, he wouldn't know about that one, but that was some funny shit.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

lol..i know..it just fit so well..

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Come on guys dont be so hard on the guy.. Maybe he needs the dimensions cause he is trying to disguise another make engine so it looks like the more traditional SBC :)
    Dave

12. KATFISH

KATFISH

I dont even care enough to be confused

13. guitarguy

guitarguy

Thanks for the help, i thought i might like this sight, guess not

Appearently you guys forgot that hot rodding is all about part adaptation. I dont know any chevy guys around here, its not what im into--i.e. other make

14. What kind of valve cover, no abbreviations, someone can help.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dont get pissed at us because you cant explane your self better. and no one forgot what hot rodding is about here..definetly not here dude.
    you gave us so little to go on and what you did give us was mis-leading.
    so get your shit togeather than come back with a question that makes some sense

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh and BTW go back and read your title and first and 3rd post before you get your panties in a bunch..K?

17. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yea, guess your right, i have no idea what im doing, my lincoln tig and i spent a year and a half on this, big block mopar with a single turbo through a blow thru carb with a little nitrous on top--and a 4 speed---crammed into my 73 dartsport--yea--i have no idea

[​IMG]

18. Still don't know what kind of valve cover you are asking about.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

73 dont fit in the rule book
    read first..type last..
    HAMB...traditional rods and customs
    pre 64

now is your SBC HAMB friendly?
    if so lets talk..but you got to admit your title and first and third post got things mixed up ..go back and really read them

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

this place can and will help if you help us with the correct info.

21. guitarguy

guitarguy

Im a little pissed because i just wanted the flange dimensions and the bolt spacing dimensions of a typical 4 bolt, up to 1987 small block chevy valve cover and i get a load of crap over it. I dont know what i did to not explain that any more.

I gave the dimensions i was working in, thought it was a simple question. The first poster didnt understand what i wanted so i elaborated to try and get help. Thats all. Im sorry if i ticked anyone off being new here. Being new here doent mean i dont know cars--that was a very big assumption.

If you have to know, which i dont think it is relavant at all, it is a 92-02 mopar small block magnum head. I heard several times that a small block chevy valve cover fit these heads, i was trying to find out before i bought a set.

Again, my apologies if i tweaked anyone the wrong way, i was just seeking some information.

22. tjm73

tjm73

My guess is he won't be here very long.

What are you trying to adapt and to what are you adapting it?

Edit: opps, looks like we posted at the same time.

So you are looking for pre-center bolt valve cover dimensions?

23. I'll measure one when I get home, now I understand your question. No problem helping if I know what you want.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

here this is what you posted in the 3rd posting so why are you pissed?

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it was very easy to mis -understand your first and 3rd posting

also..read the rules of this site dude..its about traditional hot rods and customs..pre 64 cars..
    does this fit what you are doing?
    if not you WILL get alot of flack here..
    just thought i would let you know

26. guitarguy

guitarguy

Richard D, thank you for your help

To the others that can criticize faster than i can type, What is what im working on and what information i seek have to do with anything? Maybe im trying to use styling / hot rod cues from cars that i like alot but dont fit your criteria. I guess the only thing i have that fits is a '25 T pickup, but that probably wont work either because its stock.

Didnt realize i HAD to own a proper vehicle before joining. Thank you for the help for those still willing to give it, for the others, thank you for welcoming me.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hey just trying to let you know..im not bustin' yer balls Dude..just trying to make you aware of the house you just entered thats all.

The T fits

28. dbradley

dbradley

You could just stop at a parts store and get a set of gaskets for a couple of bucks........... That would show you the footprint. I'd be more worried about clearance on the rockers.

29. narducci

narducci

This may be oversimplifying but....Why not just buy a set of Mopar valve covers ?

30. guitarguy

guitarguy

There are about 3 or4 choices for these heads
    -Stock
    -Mopar cast aluminum--painted or polised with mopar performance logo
    -Fabricated sheet metal aluminum race car looking ones
    - a few chromed stock type ones--very hard to find

I was looking for something alot more traditional, older looking. I have 2 2bbl holleys on a dual offy intake that i am modifying to fit these heads---also a problem, about a half dozen intake choices for these heads---non of which scream vintage.

Why stick with a motor with so little aftermarket support, the motor has newer technology, makes great power carbed, has a roller cam stock (no more zinc in oil--causing wiped out cams) and is largely still otherwise still based on a good old chrysler small block. Plus its been swapped already into the truck--which doesnt fit your year criteria here im sorry to say.