Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does the general public react when they see you out driving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, May 27, 2008.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

So on my way home yesterday I had some guy at a busstop come over to shake my hand :eek: and another guy at a stop light hop out of his truck and look at my car and give me a thumbs up, and whoop and stuff. In my eyes, my car looks beat up (primered)and needs glass/int/paint, so I'm always kinda surprised.

Do people holler more or less when your car is painted up nice?

I rode in a guys OT exotic once, and it got a lot of comments as well.

I just wonder if people feel more free to chat you up if your car is primered than if its painted?

FWIW I go out of my way to smile and say thanks and answer questions. I don't want to be a douchebag to well intentioned people.

I always expect someone to comment on the scratched plexiglass windows or wavy body, but nobody has yet :)

I've only driven in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles, I dunno what any other place is like. When I get the 2.79 rear put in I intend to find out though :D

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Does the general public react when they see you out driving? ....

Yeah, I gotta start wearing clothes....

3. We are the exception, so people look.

4. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

I had a woman wave frantically for me to stop at an intersection the other day so she could take a picture! :eek:

5. Thats like askin...."Does a bear shit in the woods"

HAHAHA

Rat

6. Weasel

Weasel

Having driven both painted and 'natural brown' hot rods, in my experience it is the latter that get way more recognition.

Maybe it's something about people being able to relate to something that looks like a beat up old car, like you would scratch a scruffy old dog more readily than a primped and coiffed poodle?

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The most enjoyment I get out of my coupe is the smiles it puts on other people.

8. belair

belair

It's like driving a Hot Wheels car. Everybody turns into a kid.

9. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i get people stopping at my house and if im outside in the yard they will get out and come and look at it. then anytime its on the road of course everyones looking, asking questions. they are not used to seeing old cars on the road alot anymore. and it does seem like you get more attention in an unfinished car that one that is finished. i guess its because you can touch it and get a closer look with out worrying about hurting it, more user friendly.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

55 year old paint on my 53 chevy..has all the wounds of those years, still shines,,(in some places). Bare to the primer in other places, scratches. and dings.
    People still love to look and thumb up the ol beater. I just love to drive it.
    Too afraid to paint it..because than i will feel like i would have to guard it with my life, that just takes all the fun out of it.
    Kids can touch it, people can lean on it. i can drop a wrench working on it. and it doesnt make one dam bit of difference to me.
    It puts a smile on my face and others..thats cool enough.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It cracks my wife up whenever she is riding with me. The gawkers that wave, shout or thumbs up. She asked if it happens all the time......

The rod that gets the most attention is the one with all the patina...

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither Polar nor Prairie bears do.....

13. KATFISH

KATFISH

Dont do it.That can get you arrested here.

cops take pictures too.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Well said. I have a late model camaro that was a hot wheels car a few years ago and have had 4 year old kids run up to it pointing & waving their own version around. Made me look back to how adults have reacted to various rides over the years, it's totally the same thing.

The best is if your car appeals to gangsta-wannabes, cause those guys are funny as hell gittin their kid on.

15. Kustom64ford

Kustom64ford

We get a lot of mixed reactions. Just the other day I was driving my 64 Fairlane Wagon and a guy pulled up next to me and asked if my car was a Mercedes?? WTF!? Had another guy come up to me at a show once and told me that when he first saw my car he did not care for it, but after a few beers, it was growing on him! Thanks, I think? Was that a compliment?

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Shock, jealousy, admiration, confusion
    "how can that thing be legal to drive" is one of my favorites..hahaha

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I had a guy in a yellow Ferarri give ME a thumbs up. That was kinda rad, I would trade him any day hahaha

19. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I can honestly say not really. It makes me happy when that happens, but I'm in it for me! :)

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

For me I can't tell a difference between the amount of comments from the 3 summers I drove Big Olds in primer and the 3 summers I've driven him with shiny paint. It's all been good.

Just last Thursday after leaving the burger bar alot of us hang out at on Thursday nights there were about a dozen little kids sitting/standing around a women at a bus stop. As I drove by those kids went nuts hollaring and waving and making nice comments. Of course I waved franticly and smiled. They made my night.

21. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

Hay, Big Olds Would Put A Smile On The Grinches Face,

Just Keep It Rollin

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my 61 dodge was my daily for about 4 years. it is an odd looking car. had more than one person yelling out the window "what the hell kind of car is that?"

had one old guy tell me "you know, these weren't this funny looking when they were new"

what I find more interesting than the reactions people have is the people who don't even notice there is a 50 - 60 year old car at the light next to them. I wonder if they would look if the oscar meyer weinermobile pulled up next to them??

23. For the most part,,They Run!,,,I like to drive on the sidewalk!:D HRP

24. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

One thing I notice is that a lot of people seem preemptively annoyed.

They seem like they have to tailgate and then pass me so they can stand on the brakes and then turn in front of me.

It's like they assume I will hold them up so they have to cut me off before I slow them down for 4/10 of a second. Even if I'm already at or over the limit. Maybe they just drive like the same assholes as usual, you just notice more when on 4 drum brakes.

What I like are the statements.
    They don't know anything at all but feel compelled to make authoritative statements, rather than ask questions.

My Model A has been told several times "That is not street legal" or "You can't drive that".
    And my wagon has been informed "That's not really an Edsel" or This one- "What kind of car is that?" "An Edsel" --"No, it's not."

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the sly waves from the gals riding with the guys in their late model "bought to impress" cars. It can be bad or hilarious when they get caught though.
    I think the suade and patina cars are viewed as a bit more approachable than the finished to the max cars by a lot of folks. No one jumping out of the matching lawn chairs to holler at them to not touch the car.

26. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Comment from my 9 yr old grandson... " Papa, when we are in this car everyone LOOKS at us!" He waves at everyone so yea when he's along we get lots of waves, thumbs up, nice car comments, and "my what a cute kid". I'm assuming they are reffering to Austin and not me on that last one. LOL

27. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Exactly. What's wrong with those people?

I had a guy track me down at my first official car showing. He and his wife had apparently seen me driving the day before, and while he was looking at the car, she shouted, "There's a girl driving that car!" I think he couldn't believe it, even after we met.

And when a whole pack of motorcycles drives passed on the highway, and every single helmet turns to look and nods. That feels good.

My ultimate favie is when my neighbors two-year-old points and yells "hot rod!" when he sees my coupe coming. The future of hot rodding will be strong with car kids like that growing up into the scene.

28. My kids alway are amazed at the responce from people with the thumbs up or "nice truck" when we are out for a drive.
    Best was the teenage girls that mooned me on the main drag in town... nothing like a bit of pressed ham ...

29. skyrodder

skyrodder

it's a cool feeling when you see people trying to hurry up and get there camera phones out to take a picture of my car as i pass by or next to them on the highway, even the older biker guys give me a thumbs up

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ya gotta get use to that. ;)
    If there is a guy standing by your car they will ALWAYS direct the questions and comments to him as oppose to you. My guy pals always point to me and state, "ask her, it's her car". I think they like seeing the expression on folks faces when they could have just as easily answered the question themselves.

Will we see you at the Rust Revival this weekend?