Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser... Yes / No ( 55 Chevy Hardtop )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, May 24, 2008.

1. unklgriz

unklgriz

[[​IMG][/quote]

I really like this, but this just isn't a "gasser" in my opinion. This is one of the "street beasts" of the early '70's. If you look at all of the gassers, there wasn't too many that sat that damn high in the air. Correct me if I am wrong on this anyone.

As to your question tho, I'd go mild custom or make a tow car for a gasser. Just my .02

Larry

2. Greezy

Greezy

Those Street Freaks of the 70's look just as ridiculous as the over slammed,over chopped cars of today. Looks like you already have a nice street fighter already. Id leave it alone.

3. Chopperman

Chopperman

Well you guys pushed me off the fence and I am leaving as is ( well kind of )

I'm going to run the detroit diesel blower

- change wheels
    - add fender wells and a stick

NO front axle

I like the seats:eek:

EDIT: rear bumper is painted silver because it's glass.

4. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

NO! Buy a post car and gasserize it, but change the seats in your sport coupe and and drive the piss outta it!!!!!!!

5. just lower it a bit.

go the kustom route, do some kustom touches.

6. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

That's a nice HT. If this car was a well done resto/(very)mild period custom, you could sell it and have enough dough to build two sedan gassers. If you go gasser with it, it won't be worth any more than another comparable sedan gasser.

7. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

Glad you're going to resist temptation to jump on the straight axle bandwagon. While I really dig the gasser look especially on tri-5s, your ride looks too good as it is. It'd be a shame to see you hack into it like that. I've got a '57 210 Post sitting in the shop that, so far, I've resisted the temptation to straight axle. I'll hold out if you do!
    I'm with you on the seats- hell with stock bench seats or some made up 'vintage look' stuff- if the seats are comfortable (and since they're already in) then leave 'em be.
    Since you've already got the rat in it and plan on slapping a blower on that, you might ought to think about four linking the rear, if it's not already done. Let's see you get that fat ass down in the elevens! Oh yeah- that'll mean a cage, too...

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

It's a pretty cool Street Machine as it is! I like the idea of adding the blower and the 4-speed, while NOT making a "gasser" out of it! Keep it a bad-ass, big-block Street Machine and drive the hell out of it!!

The whole "gasser" thing is WAY over-done already...you'd be more original anymore to NOT go the "gasser" route!! :D:cool:

9. zapp69

zapp69

CENTURION
    that link is freakin wicked.

I cant look though, if I bring home a Gasser as well I think Id be shot.

HT Gassers are a bit different but plenty of them in the Gasser books Ive read.

My advice;
    if its what you want, Do it!

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

I say build it the way you want .Its your money and your car .I love Gasser 55's as well but they look good lowered to in my opinion.Just dont build it as a restorod and wear a satin jacket with a pic of the car imbrodered on the back ,with velcro shoes while driving it and you got my vote .Oh yeah go ahead and add the 4 spd. ,you wont regret it...

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go gasser..........I heard if you do the ten millionth '55 Chevy gasser build, you get a special prize and ya gotta be close in line !! :rolleyes:

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very cool... exactly what I wanted to hear... I think it'll make it a much more enjoyable car. In my opinion gassers ride and drive like ass...

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Put it 4" off the ground, put '57 Chevy rear wheel openings in it, roll pans with nerf bars, 2 1/4" whites with '57 Dodge hubcaps, '61 Chrysler tail lenses.

:)

14. slammed

slammed

Save a semi beat sedan from the crusher. Keep the hardtop a cruiser.

15. tinyt869

tinyt869

leave it way it is but id do the inteior back to stock

16. 2 door post.....gasser
    2 door hardtop.....custom

17. autobilly

autobilly

Just about exactly what I was thinking. Besides as kool as gassers are (very kool if genuine built and raced back in the day), they are the height of fashion. In it's self a good reason not to go there.

18. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

My vote-

Fenderwell headers and 60s wheels, yes. Rest of it, no.

I'm a hot rodder first, and a traditionalist second. I'd figure out why that big rat only runs 13.20s naturally aspirated because with the blower you're on track to have a car that looks 10 sec but is only 12 sec. Even though it'd be a very cool car, that aspect of it would be very not cool.

Good luck

19. teddyp

teddyp

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

I agree with the E.T. thing .My little 302 in my Falcon runs 13.5 with a manual 4 spd. and 3.55 gears .That 454 in that car with 4.11's and an auto should be running atleast in the 12's if not 11's ...

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'd go the custom route...
    [​IMG]

22. tinyt869

tinyt869

id leave it just the way it is
    but return the dash back to stock and get rid of those seats

23. Linetech

Linetech

I say go with a stock front seat and a 4speed.I wouldn't cut up something that nice

24. VonCi$co

VonCi$co

Id say go mild custom! If I see one more 55 gasser Im gona punch someone! Totally played out!

25. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

Them tri-fives look great up in the air. Been debating on wether i should raise my 49 fleetline or slam it to the ground... decisions decisions...

26. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

Too nice to make it a gasser, I think. Change the interior back to stock, drop it a little and roll.

27. ...sell it and buy a clapped out tudor sedan to build a gasser.

28. Chopperman

Chopperman

Not a gasser but this is sitting in my garage now

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
  29. vince-305

vince-305
    from london uk

I dont think there is anything you can do to be different without goinig extreme these dayz retro/gasser/resto or custom the list goes on
    at the end of the day youll be the one thats driving it and you dont want to build a car that everyone else likes and not enjoy the finished article yourself
    build it, use it, abuse it but above all enjoy it

(everyone liked my car low what do they know :rolleyes: )

Attached Files: