Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1956/57 Lincoln Continental Mark II

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

2. barry2952

barry2952

I wrote an article for Legendary Ford magazine about that car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. barry2952

barry2952

In fact, my parents bought a house in suburban Detroit for $10,000 in 1956. A Rolls Royce was $9,600. A Cadillac or Lincoln were half the price.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Pretty car. I like the A/C scoops, even it they didn't work!

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

My cousins have owned two. One they bought off some old lady and it had very low miles. They sold that one and it is sitting in a museum. The other they still own. They restored that one. I have ridden in that one and it is a very nice car. The last time I talked to them they told me it was up for sale but I didn't ask them how much. I would like to own it but with a kid in college there is no way I can buy it at this point in time.

6. The whole time I'm reading this thread I'm thinking... These guys are talking about John Cook's car. It's already been posted on here, but this thread seems to have gotten a lot more attention than the post of John's Mark II (probably because Ryan started it).

Here's the link...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219926&showall=1

7. docscholl

docscholl

"Continental was a separate division not only for 56 and 57, but 58 as well. It wasn't until the 59 model year that the Continental once again became part of the Lincoln division."
    You're close, The 1958 was back to the "Lincoln Continental Division". I know, I have owned one for 19 years. And, I've owned a 1957 MK II for the last 24 years.
    Doc

8. Me too...in Sandy, Oregon. It belongs to a fellow HAMBer here. I've been after him to sell it to me forever. It ain't gonna happen.

9. God damnit I've lusted after one of them for so long!

10. There has been one advertised over here in Perth for $20,000 recently. I haven't seen it though. Can have a look at it if you want. :)

11. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Definitely Black, and for me anyway just a little lower. The Continental and the '55-'57 T-birds were just beautiful the way they were. Another car that looks really good is the '62 T-bird lowered and in black.

The '55 Mercury is a sinister looking ride too, lowered and black. Someone on the HAMB, a lady I think, has one that will melt you down.

Of all though that Continental is THE best looking car of the '50's FoMoCo designs.

12. I've also lusted after the spare funds as well!!!

Thanks mate, I know you have my best interests at heart.

13. Well that one moved to Brush Prairie,Wa and while not mint would easily find a new home for $8000-. May find itself on E-Bay pretty soon..........

14. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

Ryan you picked a great car. This is one of my favorite cars and I have always wanted to build one. The cost of these cars is way up from years back. There is a fenced yard just around the corner from my shop that has 6-7 of these just laying there. They have been there over ten years and I have tried to contact the owner with no return calls. Hoping one day to hear that they are for sale. This car can easily have a great look with no more than a few adds. thesneakytiki

15. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

Here is a pic of that yard. The guy has 12 of them in there in varouis conditions. I would like to see what his driver looks like if he has had all of these to use parts from. Enjoy. thesneakytiki

[​IMG]

16. barry2952

barry2952

I have trouble wrapping any fond thoughts around customizing a Mark II, yet, I'd rather see a nice custom than see a bunch of them rotting behind a fence.

Their value has gone up but nowhere near what they should be worth. There were only 3,013 of them made in '56 and '57.

Without opening the hood or looking under the car, what is the only outward distinguishing difference between a '56 and a '57.

Now, what are the differences under the hood between the '56 and '57?

This is a '56.

[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  17. barry2952

barry2952

From the looks of the blue top, he made himself a convertible or a parade car.

[​IMG]

18. Ryan,Here's one that was at 40Ford Day last year. Nicest one i've ever seen...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. I remember a purple Custom one that ran around California for awhile. Don't know what ever happened to it. That purple one posted earlier that Sam Foose did,is the one I was thinking of...

20. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

21. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I have one, a 56. Did some mods though. Painted the lower bumpers on both ends body color (98 lincoln pearl essence), . Forgot to shave the antenae (stupid). Removed all the lettering. Custom one-off s/s grill. Customized full leather interior (5 cows sacrificed their lives), paisley head liner (4 elvis), cad designed instrument faces, reworked the seats by rounding the corners on the backs and added fr and rear headrests. S/S engined turned dash instrument panel. Stripped off the chrome on the outside trim and polished the s/s it was made out of. $7K in rechroming everything else. Radio delete. Lowered, balanced 368. Centerlines, Painless panel, battery to trunk. Made a firewall cover from 18g sheet and replaced all the heater hoses w s/s tube. The last thing left to do is rebuild my early 60's vintage Hilborn injected 368 and stuff that in and repair the dent in my fender from that last STREET ROD SHOW I went to.
    I like the trunk on Cleatus' pic, i wish i had thought of that! The car is 18 feet PLUS long, that pic makes it look 25, way cool.
    PS --NO, my valve covers are not for sale!

Attached Files:

22. A friend of mine,Bob Cecchini,has been building one of these and its almost finished.It is currently at the upholstry shop and should be finished up in a few months.2" chop with all the tricks...very tasteful,classic kustom style.heres a pic when it came out of the booth....and in the primer stages..

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  23. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

When I was a teenaged gas pump jockey I thought the new Mark II was the tits.

Today, it says to me, "She's not skinny, she's tall, that's all."

24. HELLMET

HELLMET

a friend of mine has frank sinatra's old mark II still has the palm springs frame on it he bought in the 80s from the owner that got it from franks wife . also bones is doing one of them too keith dean is working on it. billy

25. hudson48

hudson48

Attached Files:

26. barry2952

barry2952

27. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Here's a couple of photos of one that I had the privilege of driving around for a few months. A friend of mine wanted me to do some work on it and then sell it for him after I was done. The best part was him giving me the keys and saying "drive it all you want". By far, the coolest car I had ever been around, it's too bad that I will never be able to afford to own one of my own.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  28. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love those Mark II's. Stock would be fine with me.

29. barry2952

barry2952

I think you will find that the Mark II is valued quite low, compared to it's original cost and limited production. With little over 3,000 examples made, they won't be cheap for long.