Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '60 Comet wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, May 21, 2008.

1. haring

haring

Very nice wagon ... good job!

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You hit the nail on the head! Looks great!

3. tstclr

tstclr

I'd leave it alone. I dig those taillights!

4. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Nice wagon, Very clean lookin I'd keep it like that!

5. Very sweet car. My favorite part has to eb the shift know and the valve covers (with matching regulator cover).
    I like 'em low, but I also like the front fender radius to match the wheel radius as much as possible so you're right in there.
    I gotta ask, explain the spacers on the shock towers. As I have a 63 Falcon, I keep wondering about this mod I see on and off. I really question if there is anything to gain. I selected a shorter travel shock after I lowered mine 3" and they very rarely bottom out, although I'm careful.

6. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Neat ride, super clean look. Did you have to change the wiper transmission tower when you converted to electric? I am wanting to change the vacuum wipers in my '61.

7. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Beautiful car my man..
    About the rack i'll give it a maybe i supose i would have to see it with the rack on. I also agree with everyone on the pin striping .. simple and subtle. [ silver to match the top]

Wicked nice rig.

8. MP&C

MP&C

Too cool. Dare to be different!

9. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Yes. Still dorky to make a surf car to cruise to a mechanical wave machine, though.

Easy there! It ain't gonna happen. I like it slick top. But even if I did do it, you wouldn't have to go very far, it'll be at the Pavilions this Sat if the weather holds out.

The valve covers and reg cover are both vintage Cal Custom, the VC's were a gift from a friend and were already polished, the reg cover was a lucky swap meet score. Those shock towers were found at another swap meet, already chromed, so of course I had to use them. Falcon shocks are bayonet style, and I never was able to find a set that had a shorter body for limited travel. I once had a slammed Falcon bottom a shock hard in a construction zone, the shock tower ripped from the spring tower and put a big dent in the hood. Don't really want to repeat that, so I spaced these up 3/4" for travel. I tested it, and I have an extra 1/4" travel with the control arm bottomed on the snubber, so I should be safe.

Yes, I swapped in the entire '63 Falcon wiper transmission and arms. They were different from the vacuum setup, but bolted right in. I did have to trim some metal from the pedal support bracket to clear the larger electric wiper switch, not a big deal.

-KK

10. Bossy

Bossy

Love them 2 door wagons. Leave it alone, you have it right.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/rrbedard/DSC00001-1.jpg[​IMG]

11. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Judging by the BIG kudos that this post has brought you, I'd say that the polls show that you are spot on with this lil beauty.

Simple, tastful, elegant. Nice job.

12. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

KK-
    Maybe I'll see you Saturday, I'd like to see your car in person.
    You should be able to spot me, I'll be in this:

Attached Files:

13. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Sounds good to me. I usually park in the back 40, away from the loud muzak unless a front row spot is open.

-KK

14. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

As a owner of a 62 Comet sedan I have always wanted a 60-1, you have the rarest body style! It looks beautiful! In my opinion, like the old saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it!" I was wondering did you make the spacers for the shock towers? Or can you buy them? I lowered my Comet about 4 in. in front and it could definately use a little extra shock travel!

15. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

That car sucks.
    You have no taste and your mechanical abilities are obviously as lacking as your taste appears to be. The color is wrong, the wheels look like something off a "DONK", and the engine compartment looks like shit. It's totally beyond me why you wasted your time trying [and failing] to polish such a turd of an automobile. The only redeeming quality to your build is the shifter handle. You should pull that off and send the rest to the crusher!

Of course I'm kidding. I absolutely love it...
    But if someone didn't call it a POS, they might start saying the HAMB is going soft :D

16. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

thats a nice car.

17. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I made them, I bought longer carriage bolts, steel tubing for the spacers, flat washers, and nyloc nuts. You can make them any length you need, and everything came from the same hardware store for under ten bucks.

Cool! I chose the right shifter knob! I was a little worried about that! :cool:

The donk comment had me rollin...

-KK

18. tbucit

tbucit
    from Conyers GA

The car looks great to me!!!

Randall

19. I wouldn't add anything except wipers, weather ... uhhh ... not permitting. My '61 Comet tudor came with a low quality black with silver roof paint job. Don't add any Raiders paraphernalia! You have me considering actually fixing up the aesthetics someyear. I don't see the interior motif you mention. The little bit of blue (license plate, shocks, and windshield top tint?) break it up nicely. I might've done the engine Ford blue, but then again it's known as a Mercury, and I don't know the engine colors.

Thanks,
    Kurt

20. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Your Car is a thing of beauty! Don't change a thing!

21. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I was talking with my dad the other day (he's 70 and I'm 49) about all the cars we have owned. I've had rods, vette's, muscle cars and a bit of everything. I came to the conclusion that aside from the car I have had forever (50 ford lead sled rag top) there are 3 or 4 I miss. I had a 65 Impala SS (two door hard top) that my dad wrecked on a snowy day cause he didn't want to drive his new cougar (1978) to work. A 65 SS convert (theme with me) 327/325 with 4 speed and air and black 64 Falcon 2 dr wagon with 289 and three on the tree that just was cool, fun and FUN. It ran great and was dandy for dropping that back seat and unrolling the sleeping bag. Come to think of it I might of liked the Impala's for the same reason. Wagons are cool. 2 door wagon are cooker still. Your comet is sweet stuff for sure.
    Rod

22. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

Very nice and RARE! I had a 61 Comet 4 dr s/w. Thats an "Edsel" Comet. Designed in 59 as such but Edsel took a dump and it was turned over to Mercury divison. Has the Edsel shaped tail lights and some parts from the Edsel. No badging but "Comet". It got upgraded interior grade over Ford Falcon. Would be interesting to know how many are left.

23. Was searching and found this thread.
    Great car.
    I saw one of those 2 door wagons in the boneyard when I was stationed in Washington State.
    Would have grabbed it if I knew how rare it was.

They only made them for 3 years, in a 2 door, from 60-63.
    First 2 years under just Comet name then 62 and 63 under Mercury label.
    Only 5100 made in 60
    3000 or so in 61
    2000 or so in 62
    800 and change in 63.

64 they went to 4 door wagons only.

Pretty rare car when you consider the total number of Comets was pushing 75-100k every year.
    Pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of Falcons made.

Cool part of cruising the Comet of any type is people always ask what it is and you rarely ever see another one on the road.
    Most have rotted away or have been crushed.
    I love em and have 2, a 60 Comet Sedan and a 62 Comet S-22.

24. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is perfect. I'd go with the lower moulding just for protection - but I'd leave the roof clean. Pin stripes would be cool - especially with the colors you've got going on. My daughter was watching the Partridge Family on dvd and good old Mrs. Partridge drove a Comet 2 door wagon like yours! If my daughter is to be believed, you are in very good company!

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That wagon is sweeeet!!.....My wife has a 61 and we are looking for a nice 60 grill if anyone has one.

26. I hate you. Because you own it and I don't!

27. Artie B

Artie B

ummm did I say WOW already!

28. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

ENUF SAID?

I love it, nice work.

29. hankabilly13

hankabilly13

very cool! love it!

hank