Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LabRat

LabRat

jonny o you have a way with words ! I completely agree .... Thanks for the update Littleman , Lookin tough .

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Don is correct on the size.......I picked these because they are close in size to my Radir Slicks that I really like.....I probably will not make it to the track by Saturday, but you never know.....I may try to make the Phyco show...but getting the Truck ready for racing is #1 at the moment...it has to be for saftey...Littleman

3. jonny o

jonny o

1/2 communication major
    1/2 the hard-on I get whenever I see that truck

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, I am impressed!

5. Went over to Dave's this mourning to give a hand on tuning the beast. I think it is ready for some track tuning! I am gonna have my hands full with that little truck if it hooks....Let me see if I can load this you tube.....

Don

6. Sounds nice ! It'll be interesting to see what it will run with the new stuff.

7. llonning

llonning

Damn!!!!! Sounds fantastic!!!!!! Now hit the track!!!!

8. jonny o

jonny o

Bacca Dacca baba baba baba baba DACA DACA DACA

Yummy. Get it to transfer a little weight and let the cam come to life...
    Sounds great.

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

10. dutched32

dutched32

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks Don for going thru the trouble of posting that....and thanks for bringing over your new timing light!!!...I need to toss my pos light....It sounds real good in person....It better..I went from 10.35 compression to 12.1..........Have a small hit list to knock out and then onto the trailer and get me some new tires for it..and a spare.....Littleman...that video was before we set the timing....

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I left the jets in it from the last setup...to establish the baseline....Plugs look black at idle, so shes running fat...But what counts is the plug reading after I blast down and shut it off and then read the plugs at the end of the DragStrip.......Littleman

13. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

New heads and uped static gives a stronger intake signal,most likely have to step down a size or two on jetting,looks great good luck on the 1320 dyno.

14. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I agree w/ you Gary, I just came in from working on it and made my list to do..And dropping the jets two sizes was my thought after playing with it today and tonight...figured the neighbors had enough for tonight..........I put it back on the ground and it looks real good..really like how the cage looks in the back with a lower profile.....Littleman...I was worried the modern slicks would look like ass...but they look good on it...

15. LabRat

LabRat

Ha Ha .....

And Hot Damn Littleman ! That's a sweet noise you have brother .....

Bacca Dacca baba baba baba baba DACA DACA DACA WAAAAAAAAAA ......

insert Trosley style cartoon here .....

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Back on the ground...Littleman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

Love it! The number of hours in those rear "bones" is probably scary if you were charging a shop rate. :D The sound doesn't get any better. Good luck on the strip!

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

tires look fine on it. Hell, a little work and you can rub off the paint and make them blend in a little more.

I cant wait to see a video of this bad apple go. :)

19. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Dave, What is the latest? Have you driven it yet? Keep us posted please.......

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Took it to Thompson this entire weekend to the gasser meet, met alot of people..did alot of talking and alot of tuning.........Friday, did its first burn out came out of the burn out and it sounded like it was dropping cylinders, should have bailed out of the run but hammered it to a blistering 15.07 @ 79.48 MPH.....checked some plugs and they were too lean, changed jets from .046.5'' and drilled them to .049''.And gapped a new set of plugs and put them in ..made next pass 12.42 seemed to still run poorly, checked a couple plugs and read still lean, drilled all 12 jets again to .052'' and it ran a 12.26...plugs still saying feed me some more fuel you fool.......drilled jets out to .055''and ran a 12.07.........plugs still wanting more...drilled them all out to .059'' and plugs looked alot better but still did not perform as it should....by this time its 5pm and they stop running....I was ready to try again.........by the way thanks to all theat gave me a hand...thanks Curly for the help with some of the jet changes and Don with helping me time it throughout the weekend.......So with no racing going on and not being happy with its performance, I checked every plug and found two plugs that had been hit by the piston and bent shut.............We then find three out of the first batch of plugs that were just pulled earlier to be the same.huge oversite on my part..which explaned the dropped cylinders..and I looked at it as a victory for finding the problem.....Did some talking with a few racers about indexing plugs and Gene Schwartz was kind enough to let me use his index washer kit and Curly and I squared away the plugs.........and by this time I really wanted to try it! But would have to wait until Saturday morning........First pass that morning was a 11.59 @ 117.83 next was [email protected] a bunch of runs in the 11.50's and some 11.40's........started to throw some timing at it and it ran 11.33 @ 119.75mph which ended up to be its fastest time it clicked off out of 20 plus passes all weekend.........The converter is hurting it....so I will have to make some phone calls to figure out what it needs, so I smell a possible 11.00 maybe in the future......who knows?.......All in all it was a great weekend..I worked my ass off and met my goal of wanting it to run a 11.50 @ 120 mph................I did get matched up in the middle of all the tuning and ran against Don.......I think I ran a 11.54 to his 11.25 with about the same mph...at that time and that pass.........I am real happy how the tuning went and am far from done..........I have to remember this is really only a street vehicle and not a drag car, but will be fun to see how much it can be squeezed....Littleman

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome. It's very cool to hear how the weekend started and how much you were able to squeeze out of the pickup.....

Malcolm

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Bitchin Dave...do you have a picture of the rollbar spitting out of the rear glass...I love the way you did that. Skip

23. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Dave, that is flying man!! That must be a blast in that little truck!! Sounds like your weekend went pretty well, Nice work dude!
    Jimmy White

24. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Hmmmm............ You wanna go faster huh? How about a little sneeky sneeky with some laughing gas:eek:? Wouldn't that raise a few eyebrows in a traditional styled rod? Don't know how you would do it, maybe a fogger system:cool:. Just one more thing for ya to think about I guess, but then you'd need a cam and converter to go with. Saw the youtube vid and that thing sounded BAAAAAAAAAADDDDD!:D

25. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

26. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Thanks for keeping us posted on the truck. Sweet looking ride.

27. JimSibley

JimSibley

Dave,
    I am thinkin that truck is my favorite car of all times. and I have had a lot of cars. YOU ARE THE RULER!!!!

28. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks everyone........I will say this.. the best spent money was upgrading the rear brakes on the old Pontiac rearend to Willwood discs.....the old drums had trouble slowing this donkey down at 108-109 mph and would have not done the job very well at 118-120mph.....Like I wrote earlier it did a best of [email protected] can only say that because I backed it up twice the following day....Littleman.............Time to pull the trans. for some adjustments..And trust me when it was going thru the traps @ 118mph plus in this small cab.......I could tell I was not in a purpose built racecar.But more like a tin can w/ wheels...I bet it will go faster yet thou..

29. zapp69

zapp69

Great first meeting with the new motor.
    Your work is amazing everytime.
    Good to see a bit of friendly rivalry amoungst you guys.
    Maybe seeing this some others in this hobby will remember Hotrods should be raced.

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks........friendly rivalry can be healthy if your really friends...but really all I need to win is slide in a bigger stick into the engine....one w/ say over .300 duration and more lift.......but I actually drove my Truck to the hardware store today, just as I raced it........it was freakin loud!.........and it did well but was like driving a monster...so going with the bigger stick would kill my duel purpose street/strip setup...its a real fine line between them.........but this setup has more time to be squeezed out of it, I just started to tweek and have a ways to go..........I just may be able to run with Don with this setup w/ alot of determination........my true goal is to see how fast I can go w/ a six two setup on this engine and thats all.........Littleman....and your right.....Hotrods are built to be raced.......otherwise whats the point!