Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. I decided to give the Merc a little attention this weekend. I removed the motor I had sitting in it and installed a fully dressed GT40 5.0L powerplant. Drug it out of the basement with the Model A. The old mock up motor is going into a customers 34 Ford Tudor sedan. This time I finished the motor and trans mount. All I had to do in the trans is fill a couple holes and drill new ones. Not quite that easy for the motor mounts but not really rocket sience either.

If you havent been following the rest of the build, and the moredoor to two door convertion, you can get it all here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229300

Ill keep you posted as the build continues...........ETHER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet. Looks like you are almost ready for this:

[​IMG]

Are you gonna be ready for the Drags??

-Abone.

3. Abone, I hear ya!!!!! Hopefully soon!!! Love the picture...... ETHER

4. Looks great, what is your timeframe?

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool deal mercs rock

6. keep the pics coming i get my car out this week end if all goes right oh yea another 51 merc on the road

7. Got a chance to work on the Merc this weekend. Thats two in a row!!!! Well the door bottoms werent up to spec so I used the bottoms from the moredoor doors, since they were virtually rust free. They arent a perfect fit without some modifications but will work. The skins I made from 18 guage coldroll and are a bit longer than 4 ft so not such an easy task if a long brake isnt available. Just a few door gap adjustments and I think Im ready to blast and primer the body. Some of the pics were still too big to upload after I shrank them. PM me if you need a few more. Ill keep you posted. ETHER

Attached Files:

8. StrickV8

StrickV8

very nice work man. you sir have a lot of talent. nice to see a ford going in a ford (well merc). hate i couldn't make it down a few weeks ago. what's that 3-spoke steering wheel hanging on your garage wall?

9. Cosmo, Your welcome to stop by anytime. The wheel is off a 53 Desoto....do ya need it?????? ETHER

10. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Do you have any shots of how you're hanging your front sheetmetal off your subframe?

Excellent metalwork...!

11. QQMOON

QQMOON

Hey Ether looking nice...... And the wether looks nice as well

QQ

12. QQ, the weather is nice enough for a visit from down under!!!!! When you comin over??

Mercman, Ill get a pic of the front sheetmetal mount for ya. Its not finished yet but is in the trial stages....
    ETHER

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Lookin real good, now thats some nice metalwork going on there. I like the 17 different colored patchwork on the pass side too. I say you clear right over it and keep it!

14. love the mer keep the good work up

15. QQMOON

QQMOON

Between you and me sooner than i thought........... QQ

16. you been busy man , great job so far and i cant wait to see the car finished..

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looking great ether! plan on putting a 302 in the wifes merc and would like it to have the fuel injection too, but i just cant get passed that damn ugly intake!

18. oz40

oz40

G´day Ether
    I said it before but will say it again.
    Great stuff and keep it up.

oz40

19. Ya that is the only drawback to fuel injection. Ive got a few ideas up my sleeve to cover it up. Im not too worried about it though, a custom always looks best buttoned up!!!!! So who will see the powerplant anyway?? Im really in it for the gas milage, my 4000LBS 64 Galaxie gets about 22MPG and its driven daily.......ETHER

Attached Files:

20. I was going to say the same thing about the 5.0.

I know you don't open the hood on a custom, but they are a dog ugly engine.

Going to be very nice when it's done, by the look of it. Just make sure you keep that hood closed. ;)

21. LabRat

LabRat

[​IMG]
    sexy 5.0 EFI ........

22. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Amazing as usual. I really need to find time to swing down to your place again.

23. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

She is soooo sweet looking!

24. zapp69

zapp69

Just got through reading you first "AREA 51" post before looking here
    Your doing some awesome work, you got talent.
    Dont know if you resolved your Front Bumper choice but just
    out of curiosity how would the Desoto look upside down?

25. Your car will look amazing in primer Ether, I look forward to those pics.

I think if you just went to get it together and on the road, running an EFI anything is not the end of the world. It's not like you are gonna show the car with the hood up all the time, these really are not those kind of cars in my opinion.

26. Thanks and thats just the point. This baby is being built to be driven!!! Im even thinking about driving it over to see a few buddies in Austrailia!!!!!
    Ill have to try the flipped Desoto bumper. If I get a pic ill post it.

ETHER

27. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Lookin good brother! I have saved most of your pics in preparation for my build. What's the specs on the chop? Looks like 4-4.

28. Buckeye, 4 inches verticle in the back and I wrapped a 3 inch piece of tape around the A-piller. So I would say 4 in back and 3 in front. Thanks for the positive responce.....Let me know if I can be of any help throughout your build,,,,,Oh and definately post the project here on the HAMB. Never enough Merc posts you know! ETHER

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get that thing in primer, you HAVE to post a pic. It will be the first time to see the car all in one color.

Nice panel work, by the way. I had to build an extra long brake to make my rocker panels and the door bottoms..quite the pain in the ass. You would thing SOMEbody would make panels for these things...

You Merc is looking killer. -Abone.

PS. You gotta loose the door handles....

30. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Winfield makes door bottoms/skins...havent used em yet but after this freakin root canal recovery I am going to head down for a Merc door...the guy who has it also has the patch panels sitting so Ill check em out.

The rockers I was bidding on on ebay for $300. Thought I was in the clear, ended up getting bumped at the last few seconds for $450 or so. They are complex for sure, but the 49-51 Mercury part makes em the big $ parts they are as well.