Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, May 17, 2008.

1. wsdad

wsdad

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in your car? Or, what's the dumbest thing you've ever personally seen done in a car?

Mine were mostly when I was in my early twenties.

Sliding sideways around curves on a one lane gravel road (I could have ran into someone instead of merely taking out that mailbox).
    Passing 6 cars around a curve just before a bridge. There was a cop headed my way in the other lane.
    Revving the engine sky high when I first started it because I liked the sound of it (before the oil pressure reaches everywhere).
    Driving while sitting on the roof of my car. I had taken the hood off. I tied a string to the carburetor linkage and steered with my bare toes gripping the wheel. No brakes, but I didn't go very fast.
    Driving during a freezing rain storm, pretending my 4 cylinder had enough power to spin the wheels like that on dry pavement.

I thank God I'm still alive, never killed anyone, and never had access to a ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsVWFGO7aQ&feature=related

2. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

hmmm...i do SOMETHING dumb ever time i get behind the wheel, but the one that really stnds out in my memory was one day i was having a bad day and my girlfriend was bitching about something, so i was just flat out giving my poor old 91 s10 hell, it had a 4.3 and a th350 trans .....

it had been lightly raining for about 15 minutes so the road was kind of slick and when we pulled out of Walmart, i put it in 1st and matted it....spun about 200feet before the intersection, light turned green right before i got to the intersection, slid it sideways through the intersection with cars all the way around....the truck was literally almost pointing back toward the way i was coming before i decided to straighten it up and continue on my way....

anyways, when i got it straight, i looked over at the cars waiting at the light, and there was a cop....my heart sank, i just knew i was done for.....

he freaking WAVED and i kept going....turned out it was my uncle, but i didn't know that at the time because i couldn't see his face...

another time, i was driving that same truck and was taking my girlfriend to school one morning...a dodge 3500 duallie decided to nail its brakes in front of me....i nailed the brake pedal and it went to the floor....o shit! so i started pumping it as fast as my leg would move and finally got some pressure...only the back brakes were working and they locked up....so there i was, attempting to stay in my lane while the dodge had sped back up, but there was now a semi coming in the opposite lane....i was completely sideways in the road with a car coming up behind me and a semi in the opposite lane....i saved it and didn't have a wreck, and the bad thing is, i really didn't slow down that much...i almost shit myself that morning.....went to my brothers shopw ith $45 in my pocket and had him use hs discount at CarQuest to get a new drivers side caliper, line, and pads for both sides for the front....

you would be amazed at how much smoke a set of 275/40 Nitto 555's puts out when they are either spinning like mad or locked up.....

looking back, i could have easily lost the cop that day, that was one fast truck (top end, didn't have much off the bottom) for what it was...was just "cruising" one day and passed my brother and he said i had to have been running every bit of 90.....felt like i was going about 45-50 though...

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Anything have to do with a particular Redhead! If fact I did lotssa dumb things with stuff of mine beside my car with that lady. Fun ....well yes DUMB? Well as Mr Buffet would say 'I pushed the FOOL BUTTON'

Thank God she never found my shot gun! :eek: I'd still be there! :)

4. twofosho

twofosho

A broad going down the freeway at 60 mph at rush hour, tailgating the car in front of her, while steering with her elbows because she was holding a cellphone to her ear with one hand and starring into a visor vanity mirror to make sure the makeup she was putting on with the other was going on OK, has to rank at the top.

And yes I really did see it with my own two eyes.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupidest thing I did in a car? ..............................

My ex, man was she dumb!

6. I drove a car once with rear tires so bald that if the road was wet it would skid sideways from a standing start. I have no idea how the hell it passed inspection like that.

7. GlenC

GlenC

I didn't do it, but one morning on my way to drop my kids at school, there was a dumb broad in front of me driving her car with a bloody cat on her lap. The traffic was bumper to bumper outside the school, and the cat must have got spooked cause it jumped out of her lap and tried to exit the car via the windshield. It hit the glass, got its claws stuck in the radio grille in the middle of the dash, and was frantically trying to claw its way up onto the dashboard. The driver was steering with one hand, and trying to hold onto the bloody cat with the other while driving through a mass of cars dropping kids of at school. It's a miracle nobody got run over.

Cheers, Glen.

8. One morning I was passing by a local hotel and noticed a very nice 70 Monte Carlo....with its driveshaft twisted like a pretzel hanging down. Obviously the guy had been showing off doing neutral drops the night before.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You've got some dumbing-up to do, way behind the curve there. For example, add the statement "and I put it backward in the ditch at 75, but didn't spill a drop of beer" and you're starting to catch up.

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

Near Fresno from Lake Millerton to Shaw ave. back in the 60's there was nothing but straight road with vinyards and one set of train tracks for about seven miles. Lots of street racing was held out by the Sarkisian's but dumbest had to be driving a Volkswagen at top speed with the lights out and steering by opening the doors to keep in the middle of the road.

11. The dumbest thing I ever did in a car was to tell a cop in a small southern town to shove his radar gun up his ass. A millisecond later, I was no longer in the car.
    I might add, that this was in a parish (county) where there were only about four last names in the phonebook, all cajun, and the cop and the justice of the peace had the same one.

12. Judd

Judd

LOL! I was going to say I asked my ex to marry me! The only thing good that came out of that move was my daughter.

13. Me and a freind of mine drove 58 miles in a stolen '96 Camaro. Very little freeway time, it took us 63 minutes and 15 seconds door to door to his girlfreinds house. We lived in the suburbs. So did she.

14. BBobb

BBobb

Ask my first exwife to marry my dumb ass!!!!!!

15. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

17. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

I tried to do a power slide in a VW beetle. It went up on two wheels and then I seen the bowling ball I forgot was in the backseat. When I got it Whoed back down , I had a broke 1/4 glass. 2 flats off the bead, and Shit in my pants. No spare.:eek:

18. Well some never learn, like Me. 3 weeks ago we were at out regular Friday Night doings and when it came time to leave it happened. I was in my 51 Vicky and it's pretty fresh and the Go pedal works really good. I had sat talking for just a minuet with a friend warming up the motor then pulled out of the parking lot onto the Hwy. This is right down town Washougle Wa. It's a nice 4 lane with a speed limit of 25mph. Right next to the Shop (Mad Max) is a gas station. One of my Friends gives me the "Light em Up" Sign so to be a Crowd pleaser I get some Brake on and get the back tires going. A huge cloud of smoke takes over the Car and fills the inside. Now keep in mind I'm over 60 years Young. I come off the brake and Haze her out through the gears. Looking left to see the reaction of Onlookers I pass the Gas station just to see a Highway Patrol looking right at ME. Well that put a Damper on things. I turn the next corner, shut it down and hand the Keys to my Younger brother. I have my Ins papers and driver license hanging out the window when the Cop walks up. He just looks at me and says "Was that just the Dumbest thing you've ever done"? I looked at him and said NO but it Tops it for Today. We talked just a little all the time I'm thinking "I'm going to Jail". Well I've always said I'd rather be Lucky than Good and it was my Lucky day. No ticket!!! This Cop was really Human. I think I'm going to send Him a Blow Job for Christmas.
    The Wizzard

19. Abomination

Abomination

Among the least stupid was paint my float bowl hot pink, and my brake booster and furl lines fluorescent green on a dare! I was a stupid kid... and it was the 90s...

~Jason

20. Phule

Phule

Pretty much any driving I did between the ages of 14 and 24.

21. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I could give you my ex-wife's info? She's got a thing for cops....

22. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

probably not the DUMBEST but last night i took the neighbor kid for a ride in my, just aquired, 68 Firebird. it is a 400 4 speed car. the brakes do NOT work AT ALL and i found out, as we decided to go for a quick blast up the road after dark, that the headlights don't work either. we went anyways. did a KILLER smokey burnout through the first 3 gears (before i let out of it for fear of serious incident) on the way back towards the house. glad i live in the country! :D

23. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Unfortunately(fortunately?) I never had a car with enough horsepower to do anything really stupid. But I did own a V-rod.....

24. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I "surfed" on top of a car a few times at about 45mph. In high school, my buddy's car had surf racks on the roof and we would take turns climbing up there, hooking our feet under the racks and stand up while careening down these curvy back roads.

I am really not looking forward to my sons getting older!

25. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

drove a 79 mustang into a boat launch on lake michigan at 50 or so... sheboygan north point boat launch durring a LOW lake season... just to see how far out i could get. car might still be down there for all i know

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

don't even get me started on the shit me and my buddy got into in highschool (very early 90s) in his 78 Impala Station wagon. i was recently reminded (cause i just found the tape!) of the time i sat on the roof, with my dad's brand new video camera, taping while my buddy went 2 tracking down the powerline at about Mach 8. LOL i can't wait to pop that video in and watch it for the first time in 15 years. :D

...another time i tried to leave Mongo at the gas station or something (just to be funny). well he jumped on the hood. i continued out into the busy street and up the road like nothing was going on. LOL wow! how is it i still have friends?? :D

27. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Anyone ever knock up the wrong chick in a car?

Dumbest thing I ever did was fly off of B St in a 67 Nova... Or the several times that I have driven without brakes.

28. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

I was in my 72 torino, 450hp, manual reverse valve body, 3200 stall 4:11 spool, and dry ass street tires. I was racing an mr2 on a 2 lane road. I spun off the line, sideways, The whole time I was thinking "if I can make it to second, it'll grab!" Well by the time I shifted to 2nd, my ass end was off the road. I hit the dirt still floored, and did a complete 180, jumpped a ditch and went airborn, and knocked down a few trees. Man that was fun!

29. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Lit a match to check the battery water level!

30. Abomination

Abomination

I used to back into a space at the end of the school's parking lot, my friend would be at the opposite end, I'd gun it, and head towards him at 25 MPH while he ran towards me. At the last second, he's put his foot on the bumper, hood, windshield, roof, and jump straight up, landing perfectly on his feet behind me!

It was f'n beautiful, and I must've seen it about a million times in my rearview mirror... there's no WAY we could repeat that feat today. We were talking about how we're both 34-ish, and beginning to feel our own mortality!

~Jason